Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2020, 07:39 AM

961 posts, read 2,501,977 times

Advertisements

While having posted replies to various threads in the NYC section, I...reluctantly..add this thread hoping to make folks from the metro area more aware of how their actions affect locals upstate.
Over the labor day weekend, one of the families that a couple years back moved to this area, on a permanent basis, had a get together. Quite a number of downstate friends/family at this place. The owner, for the most part, is a decent neighbor. Have talked with him a few times and offered help with my farm equipment if ever needed.
Well...3 days of nonstop loud music, atv's up/down the road at all hours, target shooting(I shoot/hunt myself) at all hours, random fireworks at any time, etc...
My other neighbor(a LEO) when walking his dog, stopped by to ask them to tone down their activities a notch or two. The response was for one of the guests to flash his NYPD "tin". Rather than start an issue, he just asked them again to be considerate of the locals, and continued his walk.
When I do run into my neighbor from downstate, I'll let him know he needs to keep his next get together more considerate of the locals.
If a reader of this thread owns a part/full time place upstate, or visits someone who does, please consider the following. Yes, a lot of activities can happen up here that aren't doable downstate. That we understand. And for the most part, we overlook some of the excesses that happen. BUT, this is NOT the wild west, open range, no-man's-land....or whatever. Folks like to know their neighbors are good people, even if they don't know them on a personal level. Be courteous, reasonable, and respectful, when "up this way". Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2020, 08:39 AM

5,805 posts, read 2,930,663 times
I understand both sides.
For someone who is dying to get the hell out of NYC, I cant wait to have a home with lots of land to basically ATV, go boating and hike.

Playing loud music outside and fire works was never my thing. Fire pits, wine, some jazz, good friends.
Isnt there a range for target practicing?

Good luck.

Old 09-14-2020, 08:50 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Inconsiderate people are going to be inconsiderate wherever they go. I don't see how it's useful to make a thread telling inconsiderate people not to be that way.

You think someone who engages in this behavior is waiting to read your thread and thinking, oh yes, that's me, and I should change my behavior.

Good luck.

Old 09-14-2020, 09:09 AM

6,681 posts, read 6,022,713 times
It’s sad that you have to post this. I would think that people would already know how to behave. Having said this, my family is up in the Adirondacks and they’re very particular about ATVs in their nicely mowed grass, their neighbors parking even an inch onto their property or making noise after 9pm. Everyone goes to sleep at that time - so not downstate LOL

Old 09-14-2020, 09:09 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,124,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Inconsiderate people are going to be inconsiderate wherever they go. I don't see how it's useful to make a thread telling inconsiderate people not to be that way.

You think someone who engages in this behavior is waiting to read your thread and thinking, oh yes, that's me, and I should change my behavior.

Good luck.
I agree. Theres the old saying "wherever you go, there you are." Many people live in thier own sphere, not really caring about the environment they are in and others in it.

Old 09-14-2020, 10:20 AM

9,114 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Seems like a rather broad brush to paint all "metro" people as inconsiderate. You can't profile people based on the area they come from. I've been all over the US and people can be an a$$ even if they come from a quiet peaceful town. I can't tell you the number of times, late into the night, the good ol' boys were enjoying lots of beer and loud guffaws.

Locals should also be understanding of newcomers.

Old 09-14-2020, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Seems like a rather broad brush to paint all "metro" people as inconsiderate. You can't profile people based on the area they come from. I've been all over the US and people can be an a$$ even if they come from a quiet peaceful town. I can't tell you the number of times, late into the night, the good ol' boys were enjoying lots of beer and loud guffaws.

Locals should also be understanding of newcomers.
...I did NOT paint ALL downstaters as inconsiderate. Rechecked my post...nope...don't see it. Like I said, I was reluctant to post this. I have 3 neighbors in the area... from L.I., NYC, and Philly. Without tripping over myself, I have made a sincere effort to be a good neighbor. And I would like the same returned my way as well...not too much to ask, I would think.

Old 09-14-2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
I understand both sides.
For someone who is dying to get the hell out of NYC, I cant wait to have a home with lots of land to basically ATV, go boating and hike.

Playing loud music outside and fire works was never my thing. Fire pits, wine, some jazz, good friends.
Isnt there a range for target practicing?

Good luck.
...And , there is a local range for target practice..but with the bigger property sizes here...its legal to hunt/target practice on your own property(within the state laws).

Old 09-14-2020, 12:50 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,748,808 times
I was planning on heading upstate sometime soon with my professional grade fireworks and gangster rap music! Mind if I crash at your place?

Old 09-14-2020, 01:03 PM

5,805 posts, read 2,930,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
I was planning on heading upstate sometime soon with my professional grade fireworks and gangster rap music! Mind if I crash at your place?

Gangster rap ? What are you, 11?

Last edited by Dave 92 LSC; 09-14-2020 at 01:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: