Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2020, 04:56 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,130,732 times

Advertisements

I still go this brand of club. Thier customer service is awful, and they continued to charge during the closure. They got into trouble over it actually. They need to improve greatly to avoid going to the great Iron graveyard of gyms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2020, 08:19 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,936,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Before the lockdown, I used to go to the one in Chelsea, at 8th avenue and 23rd street. But recently, something happened to that building and it closed down not only the gym but the GAP clothing store that was there as well. The gym decided to move all of us to the one on 16th and 8th. I will not be going to that location, though.

I'm thinking that if they hit me with unexpected charges like the people mentioned in this article are complaining about, then I will cancel my membership. (By the way, the picture in the article is of the location I used to go to - what a coincidence lol)

https://gothamist.com/news/new-york-...les-bankruptcy
I have been to that one. There used to be a huge LGBT customer base, but I guess most moved to HK before pandemic

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
I still go this brand of club. Thier customer service is awful, and they continued to charge during the closure. They got into trouble over it actually. They need to improve greatly to avoid going to the great Iron graveyard of gyms.
At least NYSC gives you towels. Planet Fitness not even do that. Plus there lockers have carpets.

Old 09-15-2020, 08:46 PM

5,666 posts, read 2,607,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post

At least NYSC gives you towels. Planet Fitness not even do that. Plus there lockers have carpets.
Yes but what do you pay to go to NYSC? Last I paid was $80. I go to Blink now for $15. So $65 I guess is what I'd be paying to be given a towel.

Old 09-16-2020, 09:37 AM

6,684 posts, read 6,027,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
Yes but what do you pay to go to NYSC? Last I paid was $80. I go to Blink now for $15. So $65 I guess is what I'd be paying to be given a towel.
I paid $53 a month for NYSC. I have the passport membership. I'll admit, I got it a long time ago on a contract permanent price special.

Old 09-16-2020, 09:40 AM

7,906 posts, read 7,884,218 times
i'm not mad at NYSC closing... i had no idea people still went there. i think they're dated.

Old 09-16-2020, 10:13 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
Quote:
I was paying $45 for a single club. Then I switched to passport for $55. However, I realized that passport doesn't mean the same thing it used to. As someone mentioned above, they took a bunch of clubs and are calling them "elite" and if you have a regular passport membership, you're not allowed in the elite clubs. I think the one on 14th and 6th was in that category.

Part of the reason I cancelled was because I wasn't getting my money's worth for th $55 membership and I figured once the company is really hurting maybe there will be better deals. Who knows. Not even sure I want to go back, although I did like that Astoria branch -- mainly all the extra space for bodyweight exercises and stretching.

Old 09-16-2020, 11:23 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,130,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I have been to that one. There used to be a huge LGBT customer base, but I guess most moved to HK before pandemic

They must be using the money that could be spent on towels on the free pizza they give. I never understood that concept. Those carpets must be nasty! Never knew about that.

Yet they have a "lunk alarm" and a stormtrooper staff that comes for anyone making a noise while lifting. I cant imagine the punishment if someone farts. They must have prison cells in the back for that lol.

Old 09-16-2020, 12:09 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,936,058 times
Quote:
I dont remember, but it was sweet deal because I could go to just about any of the locations. I always found the places clean too. They have dedicated cleaners. Some even had swimming pool, while some open very late. At the time it was pretty good deal.

Plus Blink and Planet Fitness always way too packed for me

Quote:
They must be using the money that could be spent on towels on the free pizza they give. I never understood that concept. Those carpets must be nasty! Never knew about that.

Yet they have a "lunk alarm" and a stormtrooper staff that comes for anyone making a noise while lifting. I cant imagine the punishment if someone farts. They must have prison cells in the back for that lol.
Who? NYSC? I never noticed the free pizzas. And NYSC not bother you for making noise.

Old 09-16-2020, 12:23 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,764,531 times
Quote:

Wait a minute... free pizza? And yeah, that was my first thought about the carpeting. Don't know if that's a good thing...

I get the noise thing. In my gym, the noises that come from the weight room (you can even hear it in the cardio room) is ridiculous. The yelling and the dropping of these huge weights. It's very jarring & annoying when you're on the treadmill, trying to get into that blissful "cardio zone" when you constantly hear "ugh!" and "yahhhh!!" and a "boom" and a huge "crash" that shakes the whole floor. Yeeesh.

Old 09-16-2020, 12:27 PM

6,684 posts, read 6,027,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I was paying $45 for a single club. Then I switched to passport for $55. However, I realized that passport doesn't mean the same thing it used to. As someone mentioned above, they took a bunch of clubs and are calling them "elite" and if you have a regular passport membership, you're not allowed in the elite clubs. I think the one on 14th and 6th was in that category.

Part of the reason I cancelled was because I wasn't getting my money's worth for th $55 membership and I figured once the company is really hurting maybe there will be better deals. Who knows. Not even sure I want to go back, although I did like that Astoria branch -- mainly all the extra space for bodyweight exercises and stretching.
When I moved, the nearest gym by my home was an "elite" club but I didn't know. I tried to go in and the person at the front desk told me that because my membership is passport, that I'd have to pay $20 every time I visited that gym. I thought that was ridiculous. In any case, fast forward to post lockdown, and I was told just last week that everyone has access to all gyms at this time, regardless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City