Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2020, 03:43 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times

Advertisements

I heard Manhattan apartment prices decreased because of the glut of now available apts. However, apartment prices in outer borough neighborhoods not affected by rich people fleeing have seen an increase. There's an article somewhere about it - maybe gothamist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2020, 03:44 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
There are plenty of neighborhoods in Queens and Brooklyn that have good schools from elementary through middle school. HS doesn't really matter because you can apply to any school and you are not zoned the way you are in the younger years.

Old 09-16-2020, 03:45 PM

5,662 posts, read 2,602,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenandkam View Post
I could not disagree more. My definition of "broke" is having around $2k of disposable income per month after all bills are paid and groceries are bought. In most parts of the country this would be a lot of money, but I know in NYC it will not stretch nearly as far. I am an ARMY brat who grew up around the world and I would argue fiercely that the culture my daughter would be exposed to in NYC is worth exponentially more than a closet full of shoes and a 4 bedroom house in the suburbs.
Having 2k left after paying all bills isn't broke. Broke is living paycheck to paycheck or being in debt. Assuming you have no debt and you stick to your budget you will be fine and better off the half the people who live here.
You post made it sound like you couldn't afford ny and you would barely get by if you choose to live here.

Old 09-16-2020, 03:54 PM

37,123 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
Having 2k left after paying all bills isn't broke. Broke is living paycheck to paycheck or being in debt. Assuming you have no debt and you stick to your budget you will be fine and better off the half the people who live here.
You post made it sound like you couldn't afford ny and you would barely get by if you choose to live here.
Yea, 2K leftover every month after all the necessities are met and 40K in the bank for emergencies probably isn't where most New Yorker are at. Keeping the rent limit at 2K to have that 2K leftover is actually pretty good financial responsibility. With a kid, I'd opt to try for a 2 bedroom even if it's small.

Old 09-16-2020, 07:47 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,879,408 times
Quote:
I could not disagree more. My definition of "broke" is having around $2k of disposable income per month after all bills are paid and groceries are bought. In most parts of the country this would be a lot of money, but I know in NYC it will not stretch nearly as far. I am an ARMY brat who grew up around the world and I would argue fiercely that the culture my daughter would be exposed to in NYC is worth exponentially more than a closet full of shoes and a 4 bedroom house in the suburbs.
Wake up. That is extra Money that could go towards investments so your daughter doesn't have to struggle in life.

NYC is not what it used to be. It's a whole lot of rich White Yuppies here or vagrant illegal immigrants. Not a whole lot in-between. The income inequality has grown exponentially. Either you'll be in a bungalow shack basement apartment with rats and roaches in Elmhurst, shoot em up bedstuy putting your daughter at risk to get popped by gang boy or she steps on a heroin needle left by a bum originally from Ohio in Lower East Side and gets infected with Hepatitis C.

This is no place to raise a kid safely.

There's this thing called the internet. As much crazy stuff is on there, during a global pandemic and economic turndown it's probably safer on there. The worst she'll encounter is unicorns having sex. She can chat with people all over the world on TikTok. There's your culture.

Old 09-16-2020, 09:31 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,745,193 times
Quote:
Hi there!

I am considering a move to NYC, and I am willing to be broke to live there and understand that just about everything is more expensive. That said, I think I could afford $2k/month for an apartment. I do have a daughter in middle school so it would need to be a relatively safe neighborhood with decent public schools. Is this a possibility or am I out of my mind?

If you did find one for $2000 you would need to have a job with annual raises because that rent will increase each year.

Old 09-17-2020, 04:11 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,831,160 times
Response:

You need to do your research on neighborhoods not just rent.
Do you want to live in a high or low crime neighborhood?
Do you want to live in a White,Black,Hispanic,Indian
or Chinese neighborhood or a very diverse neighborhood?
Do you want to live in a neighborhood with acess to many
amenities by simply walking or one that requires mass transit
or owning a car.
How about a neighborhood close to the park or surrounded by
manufacturing facilities or cemeteries?

A good place to start is an app called Niche and Spotcrime
Best wishes.

Old 09-17-2020, 10:01 AM

20 posts, read 10,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabaomb View Post
I'd recommend Forest Hills in Queens, which has good schools. It also has an Express subway stop (E & F trains). Here's some examples of apts listed there.

https://streeteasy.com/building/104_...rest_hills/01t

https://streeteasy.com/building/102_...orest_hills/6h
Thank you!

Old 09-17-2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
It's broke to me because I wouldn't live anywhere that I couldn't afford to enjoy where I am - if that makes sense. We are just very active - meaning we enjoy getting out and doing things vs staying in our bubble, which a lot of people enjoy. By the time we do what we do we will be out of money, which is why I indicated that we would be broke. But I see what you're saying - perhaps there's a better word I could have used.

Old 09-17-2020, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
There have been posts on this forum from people who have far less concrete plans and preparedness asking about moving to NYC, so it's reasonable that when you said you're willing to be broke to live here, the potential "brokeness" could have easily been far worse than what you've described. $2K disposable per month after all bills (assuming that's post-taxes, up to $2K rent, phone, heat, electricity) and groceries and a cushion of $40K saved up wouldn't be considered broke for many here as it'd be above the median household income here.

Would you be looking for work here or working remotely? Commute times can be grueling, so that might also be a factor.
I work from home and have for the past 10 years as 95% of the jobs in my industry do not require an in office presence - so commute wouldn't be a factor. I'm very lucky in that regard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City