Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2020, 09:06 AM

11,637 posts, read 12,706,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
They left shortly after the nightly looting/riots started.
Our building in DUMBO is only like 3 blocks from the projects.
Lillie's joke flew right over your head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2020, 09:07 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,391,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
When you split your time between different states, be sure to keep careful records of where you are every day. The politicos in NY and NYC are just waiting to get their teeth into your money. Keep your income and earnings out of reach by ensuring that you are not considered a NY or NYC resident.

"You are a New York State resident for income tax purposes if:

your domicile is New York State (see Exception below); or
you maintain a permanent place of abode in New York State for substantially all of the taxable year and spend 184 days or more in New York State during the taxable year, whether or not you are domiciled in New York State for any portion of the taxable year. Note: Any part of a day is a day for this purpose."

Yep. I have been doing that ever since I stopped renting out my Bronx condo, and started using it as my own pied a terre. Every morning as I brush my teeth I call my voice mailbox on the phone, so there is a phone record of where I was located that day, ie, from where I made at least one call every day of the year (and then I download a copy of the log of my calls when I get the phone bill). Daily phone records are almost the only thing that NYC/State tax hounds accept as an evidence that you weren't in NYC/NY State on a particular day.

Old 09-16-2020, 09:44 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
The rich should stop living there as many have moved out and let the poor eat their own. COVID19's gift is, nobody needs to work or live in NYC anymore.

Old 09-16-2020, 09:47 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,540,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Lillie's joke flew right over your head.

It did, I'm dumb and I still don't get it.

Old 09-16-2020, 09:52 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Yep. I have been doing that ever since I stopped renting out my Bronx condo, and started using it as my own pied a terre. Every morning as I brush my teeth I call my voice mailbox on the phone, so there is a phone record of where I was located that day, ie, from where I made at least one call every day of the year (and then I download a copy of the log of my calls when I get the phone bill). Daily phone records are almost the only thing that NYC/State tax hounds accept as an evidence that you weren't in NYC/NY State on a particular day.
Which is odd because with how things work today you could be calling from anywhere with any phone number. Or are you calling from a fixed land line with documentation showing the outbound call?

Old 09-16-2020, 10:01 AM

644 posts, read 307,377 times
This would maybe make sense, because the city is legit in trouble, if there was first a good-faith effort by the city to cut its own government waste. And if there was a good-faith effort by the city to make it safe and livable here. Instead, I gather than Stringer intends to continue harassing the police. And he claims he wants to do something about the school situation, but it seems to be beyond saving even if he wanted to fix it (which I kind of doubt from anyone who is serving in the current government).

Old 09-16-2020, 10:30 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,391,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Which is odd because with how things work today you could be calling from anywhere with any phone number. Or are you calling from a fixed land line with documentation showing the outbound call?

With how things work today, you can pretend to be calling from a different phone number located somewhere else, but you can't pretend to be calling from your own cellphone number located somewhere else. Your wireless plan will always show the location of the outgoing phone calls made from your own cellphone number. You can't change that.

Old 09-16-2020, 12:36 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Translation: the wealthy should be prepared to continue fleeing NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: