Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2020, 08:32 PM

5,679 posts, read 2,612,281 times

Advertisements

Why not house the homeless there too while we are at it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2020, 08:35 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
I agree. Cheaper than housing them in expensive hotels.

Old 09-17-2020, 08:55 PM

2,450 posts, read 972,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Good! Containment is the only option right now since enforcing laws against criminals is no bueno in NYC (or any city right now).

Keep them all together is as few spots as possible, away from good citizens and our families!
Properly the best case scenario. It's very concerning that these projects which are already free for all's for criminal activity would now become open armed safe havens that invite and encourage criminal activity.

Old 09-18-2020, 04:29 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,613,580 times
Quote:
In all seriousness, that's what should have been happening. Build supportive housing on NYCHA property.

Edit to add: To be fair, people need to understand that once someone comes back from "upstate" they don't just disappear into thin air. If former felons can't find housing, their housing automatically becomes the streets of New York, which could even be by your house. A more holistic suggestion would be to have dedicated housing for former felons so that as they make the transition back into society they can smooth out the details before finding housing on their own. Truthfully, the transition out should start while they're still in prison....

Old 09-18-2020, 06:48 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,639,042 times
Quote:
Good! Containment is the only option right now since enforcing laws against criminals is no bueno in NYC (or any city right now).

Keep them all together is as few spots as possible, away from good citizens and our families!

The problem however is that there truly are GOOD people who live in these projects. I would even wager that the majority of residents are good people but the minority make up the visible majority if that makes sense.

For example, I lived in the hood and lived in the projects at one time. Most the people who lived there were actually productive people who didn't lead a life of being "project dwellers". However, the hoodlums of course did nothing but stay there all day and night, ruining the quality of life for others. Bringing other hoodlums from outside the projects with them.

Trust me, I am not disagreeing with you but on the other hand I do feel very bad for the honest working people in the projects and the hood, striving to leave, whom are being lumped in with the other trash. I sympathize since I was once in their shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llol45519 View Post
The last time nycha had a preference for working families was the last time the projects were white.
DAMN. This is true, sucks to hear but its true.

Quote:
Nah, let the rich whites in the UWS and UES and Brooklyn Heights deal with them. They always want to cape and advocate for the "disadvantaged", the down trodden, the homeless, etc. Well, now they have them right in their front yards, they can deal with them. I don't feel one iota of sympathy for them. They get what they ask for.

Old 09-18-2020, 07:07 AM

19,046 posts, read 13,964,273 times
I sort of feel bad for those people too, but after decades of voting patterns, it's their fault.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 09-18-2020, 07:54 AM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
What a hypocritical society. If we are not going to give people a second chance, then what is the point of even sending them to prison? Just deport anybody who commits even a violation, and then close all the prisons and jails. Saves more money anyway. So sad, the mindset. But I understand it, this is what America is.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-18-2020, 05:34 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,366,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
In all seriousness, that's what should have been happening. Build supportive housing on NYCHA property.

Edit to add: To be fair, people need to understand that once someone comes back from "upstate" they don't just disappear into thin air. If former felons can't find housing, their housing automatically becomes the streets of New York, which could even be by your house. A more holistic suggestion would be to have dedicated housing for former felons so that as they make the transition back into society they can smooth out the details before finding housing on their own. Truthfully, the transition out should start while they're still in prison....
It sounds like you are describing halfway houses. I think that would be a great idea. Transitions are so important, especially amidst not just a pandemic but economic crisis. I would want these people to be set up for success. Research shows that the likelihood of recidivism declines significantly when economic opportunities like a job are made available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
What a hypocritical society. If we are not going to give people a second chance, then what is the point of even sending them to prison? Just deport anybody who commits even a violation, and then close all the prisons and jails. Saves more money anyway. So sad, the mindset. But I understand it, this is what America is.
I personally have to laugh at some of these posts like wtf do you think does your plumbing, builds your house, etc. Not trying to generalize but a sizable amount are people who have been previously incarcerated are in these industries. Yes, this is what America is. I agree. Total lack of empathy. I've been through some stuff too in life but every person is different and who are you to put everyone in a category and judge. And then to see how some are so so glad they will not be on their doorstep but on "those people's" instead and how they are happy about that. It's like poor people are being demonized in the process. The mindset of people...

Old 09-18-2020, 06:23 PM

19,046 posts, read 13,964,273 times
You hire random service people?

I've never let a random worker into my house. Only with references and most often a close friend of someone I know.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 09-18-2020, 06:36 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
You hire random service people?

I've never let a random worker into my house. Only with references and most often a close friend of someone I know.
Thank you!

People that hire suspect or random contractors/subs who in turn pick up people off the street or wherever they can get cheap labor have those problems.

You hire those people and sure enough stuff is missing from all over your house, not just areas they were supposed to be working. Jewelry, silver, antiques, watches, anything that can be shoved down their pants, in pockets, in a lunch pail or tool box....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City