Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2020, 12:43 PM

13 posts, read 10,484 times

Advertisements

Thank you Bluedog2 for the detailed breakdown of noise on BPE! I’m not worried about nightlife; I would go into manhattan to socialize. I do have a car so would be driving quite a bit too. I’ve read on old forums that parking isn’t bad on BPE - has that changed at all? Where I live now there is a great korean grocer stand that sells fresh produce for less than half the price of stores in the neighborhood. Is there anything like that around in the area you’re referring to with shops nearby? Great to know about the secret entrance to NYBG too. I’m pretty excited about the move in general - with one caveat. The asking price of the apt is a record-setting high for the building. With Covid and the lack of stock on the market, I’m afraid that if I don’t pay asking, I will be left with an even greater lack of units in the coming winter months. However, if I do pay the high asking price, with the worst economic recession in contemporary history still looming ahead, will I Be facing what Happened to buyers in 2008 whose properties were suddenly devalued? This is my first property purchase so I’m also new to all of these financial considerations. Any opinions on the current and imminent real estate market would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2020, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
To add to bluedog's informative post, Lydig Avenue is the main shopping strip in the area and will have probably every business that you would need. If you have a car or ever consider buying one, you will definitely need to secure an off-street parking spot. Street parking is difficult.
SeventhFloor, I’ve parked without difficulty in the daytime when visiting the apartment, but I wonder if street parking difficulty increases at night. And I realize it’s been during Covid, so perhaps parking patterns are unusual right now. Do you have any intel on cheap lots in the area? I have a pretty beat up car so I don’t mind if it’s outdoor.

Old 09-17-2020, 12:54 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drxyyy View Post
SeventhFloor, I’ve parked without difficulty in the daytime when visiting the apartment, but I wonder if street parking difficulty increases at night. And I realize it’s been during Covid, so perhaps parking patterns are unusual right now. Do you have any intel on cheap lots in the area? I have a pretty beat up car so I don’t mind if it’s outdoor.
I'm sorry, I should have been specific. Definitely nighttime is what I was referring to.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-17-2020, 01:25 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:
Thank you Bluedog2 for the detailed breakdown of noise on BPE! I’m not worried about nightlife; I would go into manhattan to socialize. I do have a car so would be driving quite a bit too. I’ve read on old forums that parking isn’t bad on BPE - has that changed at all? Where I live now there is a great korean grocer stand that sells fresh produce for less than half the price of stores in the neighborhood. Is there anything like that around in the area you’re referring to with shops nearby? Great to know about the secret entrance to NYBG too. I’m pretty excited about the move in general - with one caveat. The asking price of the apt is a record-setting high for the building. With Covid and the lack of stock on the market, I’m afraid that if I don’t pay asking, I will be left with an even greater lack of units in the coming winter months. However, if I do pay the high asking price, with the worst economic recession in contemporary history still looming ahead, will I Be facing what Happened to buyers in 2008 whose properties were suddenly devalued? This is my first property purchase so I’m also new to all of these financial considerations. Any opinions on the current and imminent real estate market would be greatly appreciated!

Parking is pretty easy most of the time except if you come home later in the evening. In other words you can pretty easily come and go as many times as you want all day long( except during alt side hours) and be in and out right in front of your building but after 8 or 9 pm you might have to cruise around a bit or park a few blocks away....probably up Bronx Park East by Waring Ave.

There is a fantastic Korean Market on White Plains Rd at Thwaites Place...The Community Green Market.
It's open 24/7 . And they sell fresh fish too. https://www.facebook.com/CommunityGreenMarket/
There is also an organic natural food store .. Good N' Natural.. on White Plains Rd just South of Pelham Parkway :https://www.facebook.com/GoodandNaturalStore/

The prices in the neighborhood don't really fluctuate like in trendier areas. I bought in late 2008 there was no big drop in value even though there was in other parts of the city. They go up slowly but are remarkably stable. In 2010 they were virtually the same as 2007. Apartments in the neighborhood have transferred in the last few months for either the same or a bit higher than immediately pre covid even though in Manhattan and Brooklyn prices have dropped. Since I bought the value of my apt has gone up by only about 50% which is fine with me. I didn't buy it with dollar signs dancing in my head. Just wanted a nice, inexpensive,stable apartment and neighborhood to live in.

Is the apartment in 2244 ? I have a friend who recently sold a 2 br ,2 bath for $310,000 there. It might be the last apartment to have sold in that building. In both 601 PP North and 665 Thwaites Place 1 br's have transferred in the last 2 or 3 months for 235 to 260. 1 br's in the neighborhood were trading for around 170,000 in the middle of the 2008 to 2010 meltdown. Prices North of PP and West of White Plains Rd have always been 20% or 25% or more higher than on the South Side. It's almost like a totally different neighborhood.

How big and what is the asking ?

Last edited by bluedog2; 09-17-2020 at 01:52 PM..

Old 09-17-2020, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
To add to bluedog's informative post, Lydig Avenue is the main shopping strip in the area and will have probably every business that you would need. If you have a car or ever consider buying one, you will definitely need to secure an off-street parking spot. Street parking is difficult.
Actually, street parking is very difficult in the areas South of Pelham Parkway but very easy in the area North of Pelham Parkway and West of White Plains Rd . I don't know why other than South of Pelham Parkway is a much denser neighborhood and the section North of PP has a lot of angle parking backing up to the parks.

Old 09-17-2020, 01:48 PM

It’s a 1-bed just shy of 900 sq ft (so they claim) for $225k. There haven’t been any 1-bed apartments in the building that have sold for this much. The unit was purchased Just 3 years ago for $180k. I’m sure they’ll claim renovations for increasing the value off the apt But many changes were made to the unit that decrease its value, such as putting in laminate flooring over hardwood, and removing the dishwasher. In any case a $45k increase in price after just 3 years is just jacking up the market. The unit before this owner renovated, by the way, was already freshly renovated! It was by no means in bad shape at all.

Bluedog2 why did your friends sell their 3-bed recently? How is the building? It’s postwar so I am concerned about footsteps from the apartment above.

Old 09-17-2020, 01:50 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Actually, street parking is very difficult in the areas South of Pelham Parkway but very easy in the area North of Pelham Parkway and West of White Plains Rd . I don't know why other than South of Pelham Parkway is a much denser neighborhood and the section North of PP has a lot of angle parking backing up to the parks.
True, east of White Plains Road I would say is the most difficult in the area.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-17-2020, 02:11 PM

Quote:
It’s a 1-bed just shy of 900 sq ft (so they claim) for $225k. There haven’t been any 1-bed apartments in the building that have sold for this much. The unit was purchased Just 3 years ago for $180k. I’m sure they’ll claim renovations for increasing the value off the apt But many changes were made to the unit that decrease its value, such as putting in laminate flooring over hardwood, and removing the dishwasher. In any case a $45k increase in price after just 3 years is just jacking up the market. The unit before this owner renovated, by the way, was already freshly renovated! It was by no means in bad shape at all.

Bluedog2 why did your friends sell their 3-bed recently? How is the building? It’s postwar so I am concerned about footsteps from the apartment above.

It was a 2 br, 2 bath... 1B. They sold because they turned into a baby factory ! When they bought it they had 1 kid.... then they had 3 more in fairly rapid succession. 2 adults and 4 kids in a 2br got to be too much for them. Don't ask 'cause I don't know why they kept making babies and might not be finished yet.

I don't ever remember them complaining about noise from above. Luck nobody lived below them though with 4 kids! They were above the laundry room so no one had to put up with them.

They never expressed any problems with neighbors/board or the building. They got a space in the garage after 3 years on the waiting list.

I see 6H(1br) sold for 200,000 in 2019 . Looks like there is another 1 br on now (6C) for 229.
Did you look at 6C and compare ?

Last edited by bluedog2; 09-17-2020 at 02:23 PM..

Old 09-17-2020, 02:23 PM

6C is top floor, full of glorious light and quiet. It’s a junior 4, and the sellers put up a wall so that it functions as a 2-bedroom now. As yet, the unit has not sold at this asking price. Seems like sellers in the area are trying to squeeze every last penny from buyers, whether that’s due to personal financial desperation/greed or if they’re being told by brokers that they can command these prices, or if they’re trying to sell high before the market crashes, I’m not sure.

lol about your friends who had so many babies! That is a nice unit.

Old 09-17-2020, 02:51 PM

Quote:
6C is top floor, full of glorious light and quiet. It’s a junior 4, and the sellers put up a wall so that it functions as a 2-bedroom now. As yet, the unit has not sold at this asking price. Seems like sellers in the area are trying to squeeze every last penny from buyers, whether that’s due to personal financial desperation/greed or if they’re being told by brokers that they can command these prices, or if they’re trying to sell high before the market crashes, I’m not sure.

lol about your friends who had so many babies! That is a nice unit.

This 1br at 665 Thwaites recently sold for 260 https://streeteasy.com/sale/1437069 $266 sq ft totally renovated. But the sq ftg is a lie.

This 1 br at 601 Pelham Parkway recently sold for 235,500: https://streeteasy.com/sale/1456111 880 sq ft...267/sqft

This 1 br at 601 PP North is in contract ( heard 225) ..875 sq ft.or 262/sq ft. https://streeteasy.com/building/601-...orth-bronx/515

Seems like 1 br's in the neighborhood are actually selling for around $250 or $260/sq ft or a bit more.
You will have to compare yours to these. The one on is not accurate though. It claims to be 975 sq ft. There are absolutely no 975 sq ft 1 br apartments in that building!!...even jr 4's. I have been in most of the lines in that bldg .jr 4 1br's ane never more than 850 sq ft. so if it sold for 260 and is only 850 sq ft it actually sold for 305/sq ft which makes more sense given the renovation. I hope the buyers figured out they were paying over $300/sq ft though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City