Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2020, 11:08 AM

910 posts, read 753,416 times

Advertisements

"In a letter to Gov. Andrew Cuomo and Mayor Bill de Blasio, a copy of which was obtained by The Post, Administrator Andrew R. Wheeler torched the duo’s leadership and lashed them for their failure to act during the July “Occupy City Hall” protests that damaged the EPA office and surrounding buildings.

Wheeler also pointed to anti-ICE demonstrations last week in which at least a dozen people were arrested, and said he had received intelligence from law enforcement that the group wanted to create a “Portland like” demonstration targeting the campus they work on.

“If you cannot demonstrate that EPA employees will be safe accessing our City offices, then I will begin the process of looking for a new location for our headquarters outside of the City that can maintain order,” Wheeler wrote.

https://nypost.com/2020/09/22/epa-bo...hall-protests/

Absolutely! I think any business owner or agency chief should consider this step. If I had a company/agency that could easily be relocated, I'd definitely be moving it out of NYC. NYC right now is not safe for workers or decent peaceful people who are forced to live there under utter mayhem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2020, 12:05 PM

5,826 posts, read 2,945,690 times
I feel this awkward joy seeing Manhattan collapse. Anyone else?

Old 09-22-2020, 12:23 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,751,519 times
I am a fed, live in the city and work near City Hall and have had no problems. I'm mainly teleworking, but when I do go in, all seems fine to me. It's like Trump's cronies declaring NYC an anarchy enclave or whatever. Everyone is responding to it on Twitter with videos of people having picnics in the park, doing yoga and eating out downtown.

It's all politics. Oh, and the NY Post is a rag.

Old 09-22-2020, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
I am a fed, live in the city and work near City Hall and have had no problems. I'm mainly teleworking, but when I do go in, all seems fine to me. It's like Trump's cronies declaring NYC an anarchy enclave or whatever. Everyone is responding to it on Twitter with videos of people having picnics in the park, doing yoga and eating out downtown.

It's all politics. Oh, and the NY Post is a rag.
So all these people getting mugged, stores robbed and even people getting murdered is all made up huh? Are all the shootings also made up? You're right -- all politics and unfortunately, NYC politics is DEADLY for the working person who pays taxes and is a decent citizen.

Saying you personally have had no problems is problematic for many reasons. That's like me saying that I went on a tour in some third world violent country and personally didn't experience any problems. Doesn't take away from the fact those places are not the best.

Old 09-22-2020, 02:28 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Manhattan is not an ideal location for a modern city, it has the people that's about it. It doesn't have anything else to offer that any other cities can't replace. If COVID19 turns out to be the city killers so let it be, we can forego all the poor outdated infrastructure and build newer ones elsewhere that has a better support system and government that is more business friendly. China didn't modernize their cities in 30 years under a liberal democratic nor communist system.

Old 09-22-2020, 02:57 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,718,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canovas View Post
"In a letter to Gov. Andrew Cuomo and Mayor Bill de Blasio, a copy of which was

https://nypost.com/2020/09/22/epa-bo...hall-protests/

Absolutely! I think any business owner or agency chief should consider this step. If I had a company/agency that could easily be relocated, I'd definitely be moving it out of NYC. NYC right now is not safe for workers or decent peaceful people who are forced to live there under utter mayhem.
from the article:

The EPA chief (Andrew R. Wheeler and former coal industry lobbyist )
was appointed to the role by President Trump in July 2018.

In a letter to Gov. Andrew Cuomo and Mayor Bill de Blasio, a copy of which was obtained by The Post, Administrator Andrew R. Wheeler torched the duo’s leadership and lashed them for their failure to act during the July “Occupy City Hall” protests that damaged the EPA office and surrounding buildings. Cuomo spokesman Richard Azzopardi said the threat was “another transparent political game from this federal government.”

“The fact is the EPA has abandoned every state since 2017 and they should quit playing political flunky and actually do their job,” he said.

De Blasio spokeswoman Julia Arredondo likewise hit Wheeler’s record and called the letter a “political stunt.”

“We know Administrator Wheeler doesn’t understand climate or the environment, just look at his record at the EPA so far, but we did think he could tell time,” Arredondo said.

“Why he is writing us a letter about events from two months ago defies comprehension, but then again, so does most of the Trump administration’s actions,” she added.

Old 09-22-2020, 02:58 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
I do also, only because it will expedite the reform administration sure to come in under a decade.

Koch & Dinkins created the environment Rudy G could win in, to clean up their mess.

A reform candidate, at some point, fixes BDB's mess.

Old 09-22-2020, 03:16 PM

295 posts, read 281,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Manhattan is not an ideal location for a modern city, it has the people that's about it. It doesn't have anything else to offer that any other cities can't replace.
Yes, other than the fantastic harbor, easy access to beaches, rivers, woods, and hills; comfortable four season climate, plentiful and healthy water supply, proximity to the 'old country' (for some), I can't imagine a less ideal place for a city.

Old 09-22-2020, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad_the_inhaler View Post
Yes, other than the fantastic harbor, easy access to beaches, rivers, woods, and hills; comfortable four season climate, plentiful and healthy water supply, proximity to the 'old country' (for some), I can't imagine a less ideal place for a city.
Comfortable four season climate. HA HA HA. Yeah, OK. Gotta love that nice biting humid wind chill and those wonderful hot humid smelly Summers. You also have to love the muddy rainy Spring and the darkness that lasts in the Winter for weeks on end!

Hills? Yeah...lots of landfills.

You're hilarious!

Old 09-22-2020, 04:06 PM

9,131 posts, read 6,185,387 times
How did NYC go from I LUV NY to AT LEAST WE'RE NOT CHICAGO!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City