Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2020, 10:22 AM

6,219 posts, read 3,549,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp102 View Post
We do have red ants that like to bite. I will never get use to them. I am originally from New York and live near Austin. Traffic is bad here if you work in Austin and live outside of it. It is hot and humid from about May thru Sept. this year Sept. has been nice. If you come here looking for different not what you have in NYC you will enjoy it. Property taxes are high but there are in New York too.

You will need a car if you live outside of Austin. Texans are friendly but we are getting so many newcomers..and they are coming from all over...some aren’t friendly. You can always tell who is from Texas.

We have family friendly neighborhoods where people actually get to know each other. But if you interested in nightlife, great restaurants, lots of things to do and see...this is not NYC.
Austin's nightlife is known for being good.

And NYC nightlife is literally dead right now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2020, 10:34 AM

15,781 posts, read 14,377,714 times
This is a bit of an unfair comparison. What's Austin''s nightlife like now, mid-Covid?

Also, I was on 2nd Avenue in the 80's last night. It was far from dead. Cuomo would be appalled (which I consider a good thing.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Austin's nightlife is known for being good.

And NYC nightlife is literally dead right now

Old 09-27-2020, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
This is a bit of an unfair comparison. What's Austin''s nightlife like now, mid-Covid?

Also, I was on 2nd Avenue in the 80's last night. It was far from dead. Cuomo would be appalled (which I consider a good thing.)
NYC is reduced to people drinking outdoors at restaurants.

Bars that make over 50% of their money on alcohol are not open in Texas right now, but indoor dining is at 75%. And I bet that they open up bars way before NYC does.

During normal times, NYC is probably better all but Austin nightlife is pretty good. I even had a lot of fun in tbe neighboring towns.

Old 09-27-2020, 10:44 AM

Yes, but forcing all the drinking outdoors turns the avenue into one big running party. It's actually seems quite festive. Well see what happens when it gets cold.

Old 09-27-2020, 11:52 AM

908 posts, read 534,718 times
Weren't the police defunded in Austin?

Old 09-27-2020, 01:15 PM

7,181 posts, read 3,993,346 times
I made this move from NYC to Austin - in the mid - 1990's.

I missed two things about NYC.

(1) The live oaks don't turn red/orange/yellow. I missed the fall color.

(2) I missed the Jersey Shore for beaches/swimming.

In NYC, I missed something about Austin:

(1) The friendliness of people and sense of community.

(2) The affordability of restaurants and nightlife.

(3) Central Market - I guess Whole Foods is close enough.

Old 09-27-2020, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
I made this move from NYC to Austin - in the mid - 1990's.

I missed two things about NYC.

(1) The live oaks don't turn red/orange/yellow. I missed the fall color.

(2) I missed the Jersey Shore for beaches/swimming.

In NYC, I missed something about Austin:

(1) The friendliness of people and sense of community.

(2) The affordability of restaurants and nightlife.

(3) Central Market - I guess Whole Foods is close enough.
My friend and I ordered a bunch of food at a Mexican restaurant in Austin and got soft drinks, our bill came out to 17 dollars and I was like DAMN that is cheap

Old 09-27-2020, 05:46 PM

So the expense side is lower. But what about income? The economy in Austin is good, but what's the pay like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
My friend and I ordered a bunch of food at a Mexican restaurant in Austin and got soft drinks, our bill came out to 17 dollars and I was like DAMN that is cheap

Old 09-27-2020, 06:15 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,124,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
So the expense side is lower. But what about income? The economy in Austin is good, but what's the pay like?
The median income in Austin is ahead of NYC overall and not that far behind Manhattan. But note that’s the median.

Old 09-28-2020, 07:53 AM

910 posts, read 748,501 times
I simply don't get the obsession with "good dining" options. Wow. Nowadays, you can literally live almost anywhere and if you do not have a specific ingredient you truly crave, there is Amazon. You DO NOT need to live in NYC to eat well and whoever thinks that is just either ignorant or crazy.

I have lived in many places other than NYC and when I'm out of NYC, I do not "miss the city" as people on here claim will inevitably happen. Sure, some people definitely miss (but that's their personality). Every time I am away from NYC, I feel more healthy - less taxes, less overpriced crap and not as many miserable SJW types or arrogant people who try to lecture you into how you should think and behave politically.

Less dirt everywhere, etc. Salaries are definitely lower in Austin, but as others have said, not THAT FAR BEHIND NYC if you compare cost of living.

NYC does not feel like America (it never did) and now even less with all the international transients, mass tourism (until COVID) and you can go for weeks without hearing a word of English or seeing a single fellow citizen. Traffic and parking is a nightmare, everything has hidden and not so hidden fees attached, electricity is extremely expensive and I could go on and on.

Would Texas be an option for me? Absolutely not, but right now, anybody who wants to MOVE TO NYC should get his head examined. NYC right now is wild and criminals are running free and loose thanks to the protection of Cuomo and Dumblazio. They are like the real version of "Dumb and Dumber". Assaults on innocent citizens are so common now in NYC, that many go unreported. You only find out about them through word of mouth or personally witnessing them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: