Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 12:40 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I get almost all of my gas in NJ, but I wouldnt be able to do that if I lived in another boro. As much as the tolls do suck, people tend to overlook that anyone leaving the city (or returning), will pay them also, with no SI-resident discount to boot. Only LI really avoids it but that comes with its own set of issues...

A trip to NJ once a week on the way home from work saves me the cost of the tolls easily. Plus, unlike a BK resident, when I decide to get out of the city, I only pay one toll, and never have to greatly alter my route to avoid a second toll.

Shopping in NJ is not a knock on SI. It is a positive. Only people who live in expensive parts of Manhattan have equal access to NJ shopping as SI residents, and even that is debatable as the traffic leaving and coming into Manhattan is usually far worse than what I experience.
Anyone with a credit card and drivers license in *any* part of Manhattan or even the Bronx has easy access to New Jersey. It is called car rental or car sharing schemes. In fact one of the top uses for ZipCar or similar services is to run "errands" into New Jersey. That or to various Ikea stores if not in NJ then Brooklyn.

Gas? Paid $2.61/gallon down in South Jersey over the Thanksgiving holiday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 02:42 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Yes, but again, the traffic is far worse for them, on both sides of the Hudson. Leaving SI to the south, traffic is nearly non-existent. The Goethals is a different story, but only slightly worse. Only on holidays is the traffic rough heading south.

Old 12-04-2014, 07:19 AM

432 posts, read 551,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaid825 View Post
Funny when people discuss SI they mention one of the few ghetto areas, or how ugly hylan blvd is. Yes it's ugly but what strip mall laden suburban thoroughfare is pretty? Go a few blocks off hylan into the residential areas, you will see cute houses, manicured lawns, quiet streets.

Well let them think the borough is ugly, I love being NYC's best kept secret!
I agree, there are plenty of beautiful blocks on SI, the borough has a high rate of owner-occupied homes.

Old 12-05-2014, 07:16 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Yes, but again, the traffic is far worse for them, on both sides of the Hudson. Leaving SI to the south, traffic is nearly non-existent. The Goethals is a different story, but only slightly worse. Only on holidays is the traffic rough heading south.
Traffic leaving and entering Manhattan on both river crossings is really only "bad" during weekdays and especially around the morning and evening rush hours. Can get to Staten Island or South Jersey in <40mins after say 9PM on weekdays and pretty much anytime on weekends. This excludes of course major holidays and so forth.

Even so a bulk of the mess comes at the approaches and crossings themselves. Personally never bother with the Brooklyn Bridge when going to the BQE home to SI or into Brooklyn. Just suck it up and take the tunnel either going to or coming back. Yes it does cost but often shaves a good amount of time off.

This year Thanksgiving was totally upside down. There was little traffic getting to the Lincoln Tunnel and things moved rather quickly. OTOH the NJT and GS were the heaviest I've seen in years. Usually it is the other way round, taking ages to get out but smooth sailing once that is over.

Wegman's is open until 12M and opens at 6AM. So either go very late at night on weekend or early Saturday morning. Either way barring construction/accidents or other unforeseen traffic problems it is smooth sailing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City