Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2020, 07:16 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,905,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
I disagree. Conservatives don’t bash Latinos or Blacks for taking in welfare. I don’t know who’s feeding you those lies. The difference between conservatives and progressives ...

Thanks, but I don't need a lesson. I'm mostly conservative and libertarian. Always voted either GOP or Libertarian.

I've been listening to conservative talk radio since the late 1970s, through to the early 2000s. I stopped about then, because I was disgusted with conservatism's pro-Iraq War stance.

I also subscribed to various conservative and libertarians magazines throughout the 1980s to early 2000s: National Review, The American Spectator, Chronicles of Culture, Liberty, The American Conservative. Also to The Nation and CounterPunch.

Do you prefer the word "criticize" rather than "bash"?

Yes, I know, conservatism is about "individualism," yada, yada. But many of its writers do name blacks and Latinos as groups when discussing welfare -- yet carefully refrain from naming Ultra-Orthodox Jews on welfare. Instead, it's all praise for the latter's "conservative values," ignoring that welfare dependency is not a conservative value.

Conservatives are hypocrites when discussing Ultra-Orthodox Jews -- as are progressives. Put a cross on public property, and progressives will scream until it's removed. Yet progressives utter not a peep as to all the giant menorahs on public property every Hannukhah.

Last edited by Cinema Cat; 09-27-2020 at 07:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2020, 07:39 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,724,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
Conservatives bash blacks and Hispanics for taking welfare, but hypocritically ignore Ultra-Orthodox Jews, who take more welfare per capita than any other group.

It's so ironic.

1. Dems give the Ultra-Orthodox Jews welfare -- and subsidize their religious schools, and allow them to put menorahs on public property, and allow them segregated beaches, all in violation of Separation of Church and State.

2. Republicans bash everyone except Ultra-Orthodox Jews for being on welfare.

3. And still, Ultra-Orthodox Jews complain of "anti-Semitism" at the drop of a hat. (By which they mean, they only got 99% of the special privileges they demanded.)
This thread is about masks not about you thinking Republicans should bash Ultra-Orthodox Jews in addition to blacks and Hispanics for being on welfare

Old 09-27-2020, 07:43 PM

1,037 posts, read 676,508 times
Quote:
Thanks, but I don't need a lesson. I'm mostly conservative and libertarian. Always voted either GOP or Libertarian.

I've been listening to conservative talk radio since the late 1970s, through to the early 2000s. I stopped about then, because I was disgusted with conservatism's pro-Iraq War stance.

I also subscribed to various conservative and libertarians magazines throughout the 1980s to early 2000s: National Review, The American Spectator, Chronicles of Culture, Liberty, The American Conservative. Also to The Nation and CounterPunch.

Do you prefer the word "criticize" rather than "bash"?

Yes, I know, conservatism is about "individualism," yada, yada. But many of its writers do name blacks and Latinos as a group when discussing welfare -- yet carefully refrain from treating Ultra-Orthodox Jews on welfare with equal disdain. Instead, it's all praise for the latter's "conservative values," ignoring that welfare dependency is not a conservative value.

Conservatives are hypocrites on the Ultra-Orthodox Jews -- as are progressives. Put a cross on public property, and progressives will scream until it's removed. Yet progressives utter not a peep as to all the giant menorahs on public property every Hannukhah.
Cross on public land, straw argument. No one is talking about it, and when Christmas comes, there is public display of religious ornaments and nativity scenes. BTW, red states have pockets of welfare recipients, it is the blue states that pay more in taxes every year and receive less in funding. Do your favorite radio hosts mention this ? Ultra-orthodox Jews obviously get welfare benefits disproportionately, but their population is on a much smaller scale. Either way, you've come here to comment about something that does not relate to the thread topic. Where do YOU stand regarding wearing mask in public ?

Old 09-28-2020, 10:13 AM

7,906 posts, read 7,911,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
for some reason the hasidic's always feel they are exempt from the law.
Shame on them.

+1

Old 09-28-2020, 11:19 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,374,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
I disagree. Conservatives don’t bash Latinos or Blacks for taking in welfare. I don’t know who’s feeding you those lies. The difference between conservatives and progressives is that conservatives see people as individuals capable of taking personal responsibility regardless of race, gender or sexual orientation, whereas progressives lump people together by labels and race.

Conservatives believe everyone is smart enough to pull their own weight through proper discipline and smart life choices, whilst progressives see everyone as victims if they’re not straight Caucasian males.
It's not a lie. It's the whole Reagan welfare queen mindset that is still prevalent today. You should see how many make assumptions about me...l UK ake yes I speak proper English and NO I am not unemployed and sitting on my a** not doing anything.

Old 09-28-2020, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
This thread is about masks not about you thinking Republicans should bash Ultra-Orthodox Jews in addition to blacks and Hispanics for being on welfare

This thread is about Ultra-Orthodox Jews thinking the rules don't apply to them. (Yet again.)

And why is that?

It's because no one holds them accountable. Progressive media and politicians will criticize whites, straights, men, and Christians. Conservative media and politicians will criticize gays, feminists, people of color, and Muslims. But both political sides shy away from criticizing, well, you know.

DeBlasio is a rare exception. I dislike much about DeBlasio, but at least he's consistent on masks. Kudos for that.

Old 09-28-2020, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speediestevie View Post
when Christmas comes, there is public display of religious ornaments and nativity scenes.

Religious Christmas scenes? Nativity scenes? On public land?

In Santa Monica, CA, nativity scenes were banned from a public park: https://mynewsla.com/government/2015...a-monica-park/

Yet the City of Santa Monica proudly displays a religious Hannukah menorah in City Hall -- I saw a photo of it in the Santa Monica Chabad's calendar.

And in NYC, in Queens, I've seen Chabad menorahs in public parks, but never any explicitly Christian decorations.

Old 09-28-2020, 12:01 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,525,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
It's not a lie. It's the whole Reagan welfare queen mindset that is still prevalent today. You should see how many make assumptions about me...l UK ake yes I speak proper English and NO I am not unemployed and sitting on my a** not doing anything.
The ultra-orthodox are a tiny minority of the state, none the less the country. Most people don't even know they exist, and certainly don't know much about them other than them dressing funny.

As for blacks and Hispanics, they disproportionately receive public service - particularly blacks, who utilize it at a rate roughly 4x as whites.

https://nces.ed.gov/pubs2012/2012026...s/table_32.asp

Good on you for not being part of the statistics.

Old 09-28-2020, 12:11 PM

6,694 posts, read 6,051,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
How do you know the people making assumptions about you are not Democrats or progressives? The truth is that many people make assumptions about everyone all the time regardless of where it's coming from. But I think that you only notice when people whom you assume are conservatives do so.

Old 09-28-2020, 12:49 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,724,963 times
Quote:
This thread is about Ultra-Orthodox Jews thinking the rules don't apply to them. (Yet again.)

And why is that?

Because they vote for Trump and Trump holds rallies where almost nobody wear masks except for a select 20 or so who are behind him at the podium for the cameras

Although maybe not enough people in Borough park wear masks some of the Ultra Orthodox do and you can see in the video clip most of them are wearing masks. The article is about two particular people, Radio host Heshy Tischler and some random bigot named Heshy Brach who even Tischler tries to clam down

https://images2.imgbox.com/4d/72/UGofBzQu_o.png

^^ this is a still from the video of the NYC Health Commissioners David Chokshi and Dr. Dave Chokshi speaking outside in the community and get interpreted by Tischler and Brach. As you can see in the background many of the neighborhood people wearing masks.

It's a radio host, not a leader of the community. I don't support weddings and other gatherings where too many people are not wearing masks, or Tischler's view but this is a very small part of NY and a group that does little mingling outside of their community.
People in general except for occasional examples are not getting penalized for not wearing masks. The last time I looked they had already passed a law that you can't not wear mask in the subway but yet no arrest were made. Cops largely are not going to bother with it.
The majority of Trump supporters think COVID is very overblown and masks are an infringement on their freedom and we can see that in the forum, most people want the restaurants open

https://www.politico.com/states/new-...nities-1317961

Politico
9/23/2020

De Blasio says 'urgent action' needed to contain coronavirus clusters in Orthodox communities

The city has shut down two yeshivas, including one in Far Rockaway with more than 2,000 students that was closed last week after at least 13 coronavirus cases were confirmed.

“A number of community leaders are themselves sounding the alarm, because this uptick has come on very intensely,” de Blasio said. “If there’s a place that violates the state rules and the city rules, of course that has to be addressed. And if some place has to be shut down, it will be.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City