Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2020, 07:13 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,636,381 times

Advertisements

https://www.fox5ny.com/news/mask-pat...verings-in-nyc

Quote:
NEW YORK - In announcing a testing blitz to take place in emerging coronavirus hotspots in New York City, Mayor Bill de Blasio also warned that there is going to be an enforcement blitz.

Nine ZIP codes in the city are seeing a spike in new COVID-19 cases.

The mayor announced during a Tuesday morning briefing that there will be a lot more community outreach in those areas including hundreds of so-called Trace Corps members and hundreds of additional city agency workers in the neighborhoods.

Patrols will start issuing fines to people who refuse to wear masks even after being offered a free mask and a warning that not wearing it will result in a fine.

"That will happen aggressively. Clearly, our goal, of course, is to give everyone a free face mask and get them to wear it," de Blasio said.

The mayor also announced that the city's health department has ordered non-public schools and child care centers to close if they do not follow the commission's order on health safeguards.

The city also reported that the COVID-19 test positivity rate topped 3% on Monday. That is the first time it has been that high in months.

The mayor warned that if the situation continues to deteriorate that the city will prohibit all gatherings that are not 'very small' and businesses that are deemed 'nonessential' will have to close again.

"No one wants that to happen if it can be avoided," de Blasio said. "If it does have to happen we will target it as carefully as possible but, at this point, it is a situation that is very serious and we have to have all options on the table."
Entire article.

Well, any mask patrol coming up to me can shove it. I ain't giving the city and particularly--the lousy mayor--another penny for something so frivolous.

As for the small businesses, when are these people going to start pushing back? When are people in general going to stop allowing this selected tyranny? I'm surprised that so many small businesses are just allowing this non-sense.

Because I can assure you that BLMtifa "protest" will be allowed and encouraged. And after the elections, if Trump wins, those protest will surely be exempt from any "mask patrol" ticketing. For some "odd" reason.

With serious crime spiking, I'll be damned if someone wants to waste my time with this bull youknowwhat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2020, 07:48 AM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Imagine how tyrannical the powers here would be if this was a virus with worse impact? This place would be like a prison. It's time for anyone who values their freedom to leave.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 09-30-2020, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Imagine how tyrannical the powers here would be if this was a virus with worse impact? This place would be like a prison. It's time for anyone who values their freedom to leave.

This is over a virus that has a 98% survival rate. Unbelievable.

We ought to give DeBlasio a piece of our minds.

Old 09-30-2020, 08:37 AM

5,804 posts, read 2,930,663 times
When you let the politicians roam free.
Also, dont underestimate the sheep of the public.

When you start public hangings of politicians for their lackluster performance, you will see change.

This is why I never vote. Politics is a business. Politicians are in it for the money. AOC being a perfect new example.

Old 09-30-2020, 09:36 AM

910 posts, read 752,632 times
So glad I'm out of NYC. Where I live, all you see is guns, YS flags and Trump signs on many trucks.

People wear masks indoors, but don't obsess about it.
Oh and the greatest thing? NO NYC taxes or prices.

Old 09-30-2020, 01:41 PM

1,486 posts, read 987,556 times
You know.....Its F' up that im starting to think the city is going to rob us blind to stack certain peoples pockets and turn us into the next Detroit. Businesses are falling like dominoes and people cant work. The only ones who are surviving right now are the ones that were able to work from home so they decided to ran back to their parents house while doing so instead of paying crazy Manhattan rent prices

Old 09-30-2020, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
You know.....Its F' up that im starting to think the city is going to rob us blind to stack certain peoples pockets and turn us into the next Detroit. Businesses are falling like dominoes and people cant work. The only ones who are surviving right now are the ones that were able to work from home so they decided to ran back to their parents house while doing so instead of paying crazy Manhattan rent prices
This whole "mask patrol" is just another way for The mayor/city to make money. This whole COVID thing is just another way for the city to make us pick up the tab.

Heard of the "COVID surcharge" that these restaurants are going to start implementing?

Old 09-30-2020, 04:04 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,714,443 times
The hot spots
  • Gravesend/Homecrest,
  • Midwood,
  • Kew Gardens,
  • Edgemere/Far Rockaway,
  • Borough Park,
  • Bensonhurst/Mapleton,
  • Gerritsen Beach/Sheepshead Bay,
  • Flatlands,
  • Kew Gardens Hills/Pomonok

De Blassio:

"Now, in the specific areas of greatest concern, those nine ZIP codes, there'll be a lot more community outreach today, a lot testing on the ground, testing centers being set up in those communities. You'll see hundreds of Test and Trace Corps. members out in the communities, hundreds of additional City agency personnel, handing out masks for free, encouraging testing, getting people good information, pushing back against misinformation. And, today, two additional enforcement measures immediately. One, anyone who is not wearing a face covering will be offered one, will be reminded it is required. And anyone who refuses to wear a face covering will be told that if they don't put one on, they will be fined. And anyone who is still refuses, will be fined. So, that will happen aggressively, clearly. "

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
https://www.fox5ny.com/news/mask-pat...verings-in-nyc

Quote:
Patrols will start issuing fines to people who refuse to wear masks even after being offered a free mask and a warning that not wearing it will result in a fine.

Entire article.

Well, any mask patrol coming up to me can shove it. I ain't giving the city and particularly--the lousy mayor--another penny for something so frivolous.
It sounds like they will be focusing on the hotspot neighborhoods at least to begin with

but generally

1) when you go into a store and it has a sign that says wear a face mask do you ever do this?

2) If hypothetically you rode on the subway and a cops said you need to wear a mask and said if you didn't have one they would give you one, would you say no ?

3) do you think no kids going back to school should wear a mask?

I doubt they are going to be bale to wide scale enforcement of this, some cops don't even wear masks themselves and I doubt they will be attempting it if people are just walking down the street.
I think they might go into those neighborhoods and if they see any gatherings or there is some indoor public space then they might start telling some people to wear a mask and maybe pass out fines if they refuse and if there is some big gathering break it up

There's a broader thing going on now, they are opening indoor restaurants (at 25% capacity) and schools.
There is a lot at stake for De Blassio if those case numbers go up too much
Mayor Bill de Blasio on Wednesday said 870 schools were open after K-5 and K-8 schools started welcoming students the day before. He said New York City is now at a level where no other school system in the country stands.

“But tomorrow we go much farther — middle schools and high schools open, at which point tomorrow morning there'll be 1,600 schools open,” he said, before repeating, “1,600 public school buildings open and serving children and families in New York City.”

Old 09-30-2020, 05:01 PM

1,486 posts, read 987,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
The hot spots
  • Gravesend/Homecrest,
  • Midwood,
  • Kew Gardens,
  • Edgemere/Far Rockaway,
  • Borough Park,
  • Bensonhurst/Mapleton,
  • Gerritsen Beach/Sheepshead Bay,
  • Flatlands,
  • Kew Gardens Hills/Pomonok

De Blassio:

"Now, in the specific areas of greatest concern, those nine ZIP codes, there'll be a lot more community outreach today, a lot testing on the ground, testing centers being set up in those communities. You'll see hundreds of Test and Trace Corps. members out in the communities, hundreds of additional City agency personnel, handing out masks for free, encouraging testing, getting people good information, pushing back against misinformation. And, today, two additional enforcement measures immediately. One, anyone who is not wearing a face covering will be offered one, will be reminded it is required. And anyone who refuses to wear a face covering will be told that if they don't put one on, they will be fined. And anyone who is still refuses, will be fined. So, that will happen aggressively, clearly. "

It sounds like they will be focusing on the hotspot neighborhoods at least to begin with

but generally

1) when you go into a store and it has a sign that says wear a face mask do you ever do this?

2) If hypothetically you rode on the subway and a cops said you need to wear a mask and said if you didn't have one they would give you one, would you say no ?

I doubt they are going to be bale to wide scale enforcement of this, some cops don't even wear masks themselves and I doubt they will be attempting it if people are just walking down the street.
I think they might go into those neighborhoods and if they see any gatherings or there is some indoor public space then they might start telling some people to wear a mask and maybe pass out fines if they refuse and if there is some big gathering break it up

There's a broader thing going on now, they are opening indoor restaurants (at 25% capacity) and schools.
There is a lot at stake for De Blassio if those case numbers go up too much
Mayor Bill de Blasio on Wednesday said 870 schools were open after K-5 and K-8 schools started welcoming students the day before. He said New York City is now at a level where no other school system in the country stands.

“But tomorrow we go much farther — middle schools and high schools open, at which point tomorrow morning there'll be 1,600 schools open,” he said, before repeating, “1,600 public school buildings open and serving children and families in New York City.”
1) Most stores I go into have security that will not let you in unless you are wearing a mask. Once you are inside all bets are off because no one is ensuring that you are keeping your mask on once you are inside.

2) The MTA provides free masks masks at the front of the bus and at the token booth (i feel so old still calling it a token booth). Train stations also have PPE dispensers (shocked me when I saw one at 161st subway). Also masks are now required when riding the MTA bus\train similar to all dogs entering the subway\bus must be in a carrier, no bike riding, no loud music, no leaning on doors, no moving between cars unless emergency, etc along with all the other rules people generally ignore and not enforced unles a cop want to be an ass. So this is more of "We provide it free of charge upon entering the transportation therefore you have no excuse when we summons you"

3) Kids and masks dont mix. Thats just more to get lost, more to clean, more to buy, more germs hanging around, etc

Old 09-30-2020, 07:17 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,714,443 times
Quote:
1) Most stores I go into have security that will not let you in unless you are wearing a mask. Once you are inside all bets are off because no one is ensuring that you are keeping your mask on once you are inside.
the question is not what you can get away with. It's whether or not when you go into a store with a mask do you personally, habitually take your mask off if you think you can get away with it ?

Quote:

2) The MTA provides free masks masks at the front of the bus and at the token booth (i feel so old still calling it a token booth). Train stations also have PPE dispensers (shocked me when I saw one at 161st subway). Also masks are now required when riding the MTA bus\train similar to all dogs entering the subway\bus must be in a carrier, no bike riding, no loud music, no leaning on doors, no moving between cars unless emergency, etc along with all the other rules people generally ignore and not enforced unles a cop want to be an ass. So this is more of "We provide it free of charge upon entering the transportation therefore you have no excuse when we summons you"
that is not the question. I know what the rules are. This is the question

some possibilities

a) tell the cop "this is dictatorial De Blassio BS go ahead and fine me" (then get off the train and try to get the next one and bet on there being no cops on the next train )
b) put on a mask and then take it off as soon as the cops are out of sight
c) put on the mask and keep it on
d) already be wearing a mask

Quote:

3) Kids and masks dont mix. Thats just more to get lost, more to clean, more to buy, more germs hanging around, etc
Again that is not answering the question

The rule is "Those entering the school must wear masks"

So I assume you are saying there should be no such rule

Do you think any teachers will show up? What do you think the unions would say?

How many parents would not allow their children to go to school if there was no mask requirement?

Last edited by jonbenson; 09-30-2020 at 07:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City