Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2020, 03:58 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,288,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I still stand by my statement.

You should read on how Amsterdam does it.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...well-for-bikes
You like to drive, hence your anti-bike rhetoric. I prefer driving also, but I'm not anti everything else. NYC is bigger than Amsterdam, but I agree with livingsingle. There are definitely more people biking now, though far too many doing so recklessly. It is nice to see more people leaving the cars. The problem here is the U.S. has this obsession with cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2020, 05:59 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
You like to drive, hence your anti-bike rhetoric. I prefer driving also, but I'm not anti everything else. NYC is bigger than Amsterdam, but I agree with livingsingle. There are definitely more people biking now, though far too many doing so recklessly. It is nice to see more people leaving the cars. The problem here is the U.S. has this obsession with cars.
I liked to drive when I was 18, now not as much

I honestly think ppl drive too fast here, the streets really aren't built for it. Not to mention the condition of the roads. Driving out of state honestly is way more pleasurable for me nowadays. Especially not in cold-weather states.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 10-06-2020 at 06:08 PM..

Old 10-06-2020, 06:07 PM

24,529 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I'm driving like under 20mph in Manhattan and people on bikes are just flying across the street and some jumping into the road instead of staying in bike lanes. I'm an experienced city biker and I would never do some of the stupid dumb things I see people do on bikes.

1st of all, no helmet. Almost majority of the folks I see these days on bikes and scooters don't wear them.

I see some women not even wearing pants on bikes. Wearing skirts which can easily reduce mobility.

The worst part is I'm driving and speeding down to pass the next light and a person on a bike suddenly jumps out of the sidewalk onto the road and right near my bumper like within 2 feet and is swerving in/out of bike lane.

I don't care if I'm going 10-15mph, if a car hits a biker at any speed they can easily hit the ground without any helmet they are looking at serious injuries.

Then there are the folks that come out in large packs going through intersections ignoring red lights. This is worst than Jay walking pedestrians.
Does someone wearing a skirt on a bike reduce your "visibility"? Where does a skirt reduce mobility? No pants or no underpants?
Being able to monitor traffic and drive safely seems to be a requirement for MOTORISTS.
No matter which way you see it - they are not hood ornaments.

Old 10-09-2020, 06:18 PM

360 posts, read 167,405 times
Just 2 feet from life and death between PEDESTRIANS and bikers.

There fixed it for you. Especially when they blitz down the sidewalk ringing their bells in the opposite direction, while texting on their cell phones, smoking a cigarette, and having giant headphones on.

Old 10-15-2020, 06:55 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,960,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Does someone wearing a skirt on a bike reduce your "visibility"? Where does a skirt reduce mobility? No pants or no underpants?
Being able to monitor traffic and drive safely seems to be a requirement for MOTORISTS.
I think OP meant that it is unsafe for women wearing skirts to bike, because either the skirt is tight and the woman can only pedal so fast or the skirt is loose and will get caught in the bike pedaling gears.

Old 10-15-2020, 07:27 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
A Skirt is not safe for biking I don't care how much you want to spin it. It can get caught in the chains or tire. It's a safety hazard I could care less what you wear but it's a safety issue.

Just like not wearing a helmet is also dumb. I see so many helmet-less riders carrying stuff in one hand riding a bike. They are one fall away from being out of work or paralyzed. I fell off the bike many times as a teenager doing stunts and I have learned my lesson.

Old 10-15-2020, 07:31 AM

2,080 posts, read 1,125,970 times
A lot of cyclists do excessive speeds in bike paths, endangering people who are on more moderate rides. The mix of wannabe Tour de France cyclists with parents with children is a dangerous one. I see it all the time, a lot of really close calls btwn bike riders within dedicated lanes. I would also add that age is not the issue around here, there are more wannabe Lances in their fifties and sixties overdoing it when common sense dictates slowing down.

Old 10-15-2020, 08:16 AM

4 posts, read 1,647 times
I see alot of tendency with people on bikes want to be treated like a car. Which is fine but sometimes i just want to say common get out the way i'm in 3 ton piece of metal that can kill you if i'm not careful and you want to play im a biker i have rights.
I used to ride bike all the time some years ago and also go on downhill runs in the mountains im not stranger to biking but I never rode recklessly on the streets

Old 10-15-2020, 09:07 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intensemx View Post
I see alot of tendency with people on bikes want to be treated like a car. Which is fine but sometimes i just want to say common get out the way i'm in 3 ton piece of metal that can kill you if i'm not careful and you want to play im a biker i have rights.
I used to ride bike all the time some years ago and also go on downhill runs in the mountains im not stranger to biking but I never rode recklessly on the streets
The idiot biker will get killed. If they ride on a car lane doing like 15mph, a car behind will get frustrated. I often see a biker in front of me and hits the brakes often. You can't do that in front of a car, cars cannot stop that easily. People don't realize that if you go on a car lane and get hit, they are not at fault at all.

I would be going down a street then suddenly 2 citi biker jumps out and turns right onto the car lane in front and going in/out of bike lanes doing like 10mph because those bikes suck.

Old 10-15-2020, 11:30 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,745,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
This city didn't have bike lanes since forever. All of a sudden we needed them?
First of all Manhattan needed it the most due to messengers flying through sidewalks and slaloming between cars. The other boroughs didn't need it as much due to people knew the rules of the road and knew how to share the road. From what I've seen over the past few decades, cyclists no longer follow the rules of the road and thanks to current technology there has been an exponential growth of distracted drivers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: