Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2020, 03:15 PM

15,822 posts, read 14,463,105 times

Advertisements

One of the main effects of the restrictions has been to disrupt religious services. We just went through the Jewish high holy days. While they weren't completely blocked like they were for Passover, the restrictions were disruptive. For moderately religious people (and those who actually worry about the virus), this could be worked around.

But keep in mind, we're not talking about all Jews here. We're talking about the most radically orthodox, the Hasidim. The most important think in their lives is their religion. It comes above all else. And the government, in the name of public health, is screwing with their religious observances. So, yeah, there will be throw downs, and no, they will NOT back down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
They think they’re above the law, and use “religion” as a excuse every time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2020, 03:28 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,497,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
where?
In the DC area.

Old 10-06-2020, 03:34 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,497,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
Your service may be in accordance to social distancing laws but what about the many other events that weren't? Why is there an uptick of covid cases within their community?
I harbor no hate or ill will toward the Orthodox or their community but I am frustrated with them. They have been vehemently against social distancing from day one. Even in Israel. They have been caught red handed having weddings and social gatherings with hundreds of people in attendance dozens of times right during the height of the pandemic. They make no excuses for their poor judgement and call people that try to curb their behavior "Nazis".

They obviously won't listen to the Mayor, the governor or the CDC. They won't even listen to their Rabbi's who've pleaded with them to stay home, don't go out, don't gather in large groups, wear masks, etc.
There’s an acrimony toward religious Jews underlying these comments. Why else are you focusing your condemnation on Orthodox Jews when tens of thousands of protestors gather en masse, many or most without masks? What about the thousands who gathered portside, no masks, to watch the U.S.S. Comfort dock?

Or better yet, has any attention been given to the altruistic efforts of these people? Do you know they had a major blood drive to provide plasma to help the government’s COVID program - actually providing HALF the blood to treat 34,000 people? Seems to me that there are many people willing to jump on Orthodox Jews for poor behavior and ignore the very wonderful work they do helping the larger community.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...sands-n1232656

Old 10-06-2020, 06:28 PM

1,375 posts, read 1,199,915 times
The Orthodox Jews are all over Atlantic Terminal Brooklyn especially on Friday afternoons and early evenings and they are not wearing masks or are using them as chin straps, yet there they are taking the subways and even handing out prayer cards and spreading their droplets all ove the place.

Old 10-06-2020, 07:16 PM

5,099 posts, read 4,959,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
One of the main effects of the restrictions has been to disrupt religious services. We just went through the Jewish high holy days. While they weren't completely blocked like they were for Passover, the restrictions were disruptive. For moderately religious people (and those who actually worry about the virus), this could be worked around.

But keep in mind, we're not talking about all Jews here. We're talking about the most radically orthodox, the Hasidim. The most important think in their lives is their religion. It comes above all else. And the government, in the name of public health, is screwing with their religious observances. So, yeah, there will be throw downs, and no, they will NOT back down.

If their religious observations violate public health laws and endanger the health and wellbeing of other members in NYC, well, it is time to shut down or modify their practices. Law and order should prevail universally, not all kinds of religious beliefs

I say this as s0me 0ne who loves hasids and the orthoodox so don't call me an antisemitist.

Old 10-06-2020, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Oye. Just listen to all these antisemitic posters, dumping on religious Jews.

I went to services at an ultra-Orthodox shul for the High Holidays. It was held outside, the chairs were spread far apart, and masks were required. They even had a box of masks sitting in a table in case anyone forgot.

Those of you making broad, hateful judgments against religious Jews are just as bad as people making broad, hateful judgments against blacks.

why so sensitive? What gives the semitic groups the privilege not to comply with public health laws to put down a highly contagious disease?

Old 10-06-2020, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
To answer your question:

Probably. But a complete shut down coupled with social isolation would also slow down and prevent:

- HIV
- The common cold
- Ebola
- Turberculosis
- Dengue
- Malaria
- Chickenpox
- Giardiasis
- Infectious mononucleosis
- E. Coli
- Influenza
- SARS coronavirus
- Hepatitis A and B
- Prions
- Cholera
- Anthrax
- Meningitus
- Hand, foot and mouth disease
- Human papillomavirus (HPV)
- Pneumocystis pneumonia
- Herpes
- Measles
- Scarlet Fever
- Autoimmune hepatitis
- Epstein Barr
- Any hospital acquired infection
- human papillomavirus
- Shingles

....and many more of which all of the above have caused deaths of millions of people.

Now let me ask you a question: Do you think that the solution to stop the spread of the above named infectious diseases would be to force everyone to forever wear a mask and to keep socially distant?

We are 9 months into this covid pandemic and there is an ample amount of clinical epidemiological evidence to prove that this covid is nothing like any other contagious diseases...and to date we still don't know anything about its long term health impact...it is appalling to see dense people like you who insist on yapping this covid as a flu...

you seem to know just enough to get yourself confused between fact and fake science.....

Old 10-06-2020, 08:14 PM

2,077 posts, read 1,122,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
We are 9 months into this covid pandemic and there is an ample amount of clinical epidemiological evidence to prove that this covid is nothing like any other contagious diseases...and to date we still don't know anything about its long term health impact...it is appalling to see dense people like you who insist on yapping this covid as a flu...

you seem to know just enough to get yourself confused between fact and fake science.....

Yeah, I suppose masks aren't worth a damn, but somehow, a proper diet is gonna take care of it. Lol

Old 10-06-2020, 08:37 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,636,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canovas View Post
Yes! I remember even 40 years ago it was not unusual to go to a Christian church and listen to a sermon about the evils of rock music and leftist politics. In the 80s, there were still plenty of Greatest Generation types alive and they ruled over this country. The disrespect and SJW bs we see today would never have penetrated churches in those days. Unfortunately, since Christianity is declining they need new members so they've watered down a lot of what was standard fare.

"Repent and convert" became "Jesus loves all and be who you wanna be!!!" LMAO.

As for Jews, they will NOT bow down. They live their faith. Of course, it's easy to attack them because Cuomo knows they won't put a bomb on the subway as radical islamists would definitely do.

I never liked Cuomo, but now I like him even less. I never fell for the whole "ohh Cuomo's been great during the pandemic"! No, he hasn't. Cuomo has literally sent people to die. In a non-clown world, he'd be arrested for criminal behavior against the elderly.

I call Christians out for being "fake Christians". I'm not longer a Christian but when I was a Christian, I started to see a lot of the political correctness infiltrating the church and it just didn't mix.

I have my (unsavory) opinions of a lot of the Hasidic Jewish communities but I hope they DO NOT bow down in this case. If they rebel it can set a good precedent for the rest of NYC, I hope at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
These are no ordinary Jews. These are Hasids and Orthodox Jews. Let's get this straight. They look down upon normal people of the Jewish faith.
I agree. I do hope they rebel but they definitely think they are above other communities in NYC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticpearl View Post
Replace Jew with Muslim and imagine the response from the leftist hypocrites.
SERIOUSLY. If the Muslims were being targeted, forget about it.

Quote:
With all due respect, I feel this way: If people want to work from home, wear masks, social distance, let them. But don't prevent others who don't want to subject themselves to this control on behalf of the government. So many people have gotten covid, but not everyone has died from it. The media loves to scare people by saying, "X number of cases" followed by "x number of deaths." But the reality is that the numbers are there: 200K dead in a country of 380 million is a small percentage.
I don't think it's logical to close down businesses, put people on the unemployment line, keep them at home, and otherwise subject them to a lifestyle that they're not used to living in. The policy is not balanced.

Also, if masks work, then whoever is wearing one shouldn't be bothered by someone who is not wearing theirs because well, you already have yours on. Do you see how illogical this mask-wearing BS is?

I concur fully.

Quote:
You are living in fear. Do you have any idea how many strains of bacteria, flu, germs, parasites, STD's and other nasties are out there? People carry germs on their skins, bodies, etc. It is up to you as an individual to wash your hands, cover your mouth when you cough, not have promiscuous sex, take showers, clean your clothes, and most of all, eat the right foods.

And your statement about "these people are not normal" is untrue. They simply refuse to live in fear. Life goes on. If one of them catch the flu, well let them deal with it.

Again, I fully concur. All the folks whom are crippled with fear due to COVID forget that there's so many other threats that can get us sick and even kill us in some cases. I can't help but feel that they have this idea that COVID is seriously hiding somewhere, waiting to attack.

Old 10-06-2020, 08:58 PM

15,822 posts, read 14,463,105 times
I think that line of thinking would run headlong into the 1st Amendment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
If their religious observations violate public health laws and endanger the health and wellbeing of other members in NYC, well, it is time to shut down or modify their practices. Law and order should prevail universally, not all kinds of religious beliefs

I say this as s0me 0ne who loves hasids and the orthoodox so don't call me an antisemitist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City