Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2020, 09:49 AM

34,043 posts, read 47,252,748 times

Advertisements

I wouldnt worry about your hood Bobby TBH.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2020, 03:22 PM

870 posts, read 413,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I wouldnt worry about your hood Bobby TBH.
Ok

Old 10-13-2020, 04:35 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,363,504 times
So I spoke to someone from the area. They told me there are new people moving into the area that don't have good intentions. She said that overall it's still pretty safe.

Old 10-13-2020, 08:48 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,630,404 times
Eh, I've been there a couple of times since the lockdown and haven't noticed anything different. It's a nice & safe area and it doesn't look like anything has change re: crime. People are always moving in and out, and I don't know how you can judge the intentions of someone you don't know.

Old 08-24-2023, 03:17 PM

579 posts, read 945,438 times
Hello. I am thinking about looking for an apartment near Pelham Parkway and White Plains Road. When I was a kid, this was a predominantly Jewish neighborhood with an Italian and Irish smattering. I would expect that like most areas of the Bronx, it is now more diverse but predominantly Hispanic. Would someone who lives in the neighborhood provide an update post Covid to this thread? Especially how safe it might be. Thanks.

Old 08-24-2023, 06:59 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,283,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietrang View Post
Hello. I am thinking about looking for an apartment near Pelham Parkway and White Plains Road. When I was a kid, this was a predominantly Jewish neighborhood with an Italian and Irish smattering. I would expect that like most areas of the Bronx, it is now more diverse but predominantly Hispanic. Would someone who lives in the neighborhood provide an update post Covid to this thread? Especially how safe it might be. Thanks.
Why not go there and see? Looks like you live in The Bronx... One thing I will say is Stagg definitely has a presence in the neighborhood, for better or for worse.

Old 08-24-2023, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietrang View Post
Hello, I live in Pelham Parkway.

It really depends on the block and which side of Pelham Parkway (the road). Pelham Parkway (the neighborhood itself) is very very small but from one block to another it is really different. Some blocks, depending on the hour of the day or night may look shady, with groups of people hanging, blasting music, but it rarely gets rowdy. The main issue post covid is loitering and drug dealing is way more conspicuous, especially since former councilman Mark Gjonaj did not seek reelection and this idiot of Marjorie Velazquez got elected (it was close though she got 51% of the votes). But it is limited to a few blocks.
Then you walk on the next block and it looks like Middle Village or Forest Hills, or like neighboring Morris Park (in other words very nice).
Post covid and since Velazquez took office though, unlicensed street vendors are running free on White Plains Road, people from other neighborhoods come hang out and not always for a good reason. Also, everybody knows the homeless/drug addicts around here, they are intimidating but harmless, and I mean everybody knows who they are.

Ethnically speaking and religiously, it is very very very very diverse. Mostly Hispanic (and more so Dominican than Puerto Rican, like in most of the Bronx and NYC, but also Puerto Ricans, Mexicans, Cubans, Colombians, Ecuadorians even Argentinians).

Leftovers of Russians/Jewish-Russians, Polish-Jews and diverse Jews, Irish-Americans, few Italian-Americans too.

The largest Albanian community in NYC and in the entire United States (who spanned eastwards to Morris Park, Pelham Bay, Country Club and Pelham Gardens, and Allerton to the North), they own a lot of the rental buildings in the area and individual houses and apartments.

A non-negligible North African and Middle Eastern community, spanning from Morocco to Yemen, through Egypt, Jordan and Palestine. You will always see many of them operating livery cabs and gathering in front of Starbucks on White Plains road under the train station.

Bangladeshis who moved from neighboring Parkchester.

Black Americans, though not in large numbers.

Jamaicans, Trinis, other West Indians and many Guyanese, especially the ethnic Indian Guyanese. You will find a handful of Brazilians too.

A mix of Southeast Asians in smaller numbers, Filipinos, Vietnamese, Cambodians.

A few Chinese families as well.

The one block I would have recommended you to avoid a few years ago was Cruger Avenue between Lydig Ave and Pelham Parkway South, but heavy police presence + buildings bought and renovated (and inflated rents) by new big landlords seemed to have worked well enough, and the hot spot now seems to be Wallace between Brady Ave and Lydig Ave. Overall you will be safe and most of the shady individuals you'll encounter come and go as they don't live in the neighborhood (explaining the amount of double-parked cars on these blocks).

So post-covid, definitely not as nice as pre-covid, but it is unfortunately a pattern in many neighborhoods, and many cities (and countries for that matter).

However it is a very convenient area to live in, in terms of supermarkets, pharmacies (and not just CVS-style), banks, fruits and vegetable stores and so on. It lacks in quality dining options, besides F & J Pine on Bronxdale Avenue which is a decent longstanding Sicilian spot; but a 10-15-minute walk to Morris Park Avenue will remedy it (check Patricia's of Morris Park and Enzo's on Williamsbridge), or walk to Little Yemen on White Plains Road below Rhinelander Avenue.

Old 08-24-2023, 10:02 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,594,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.Dinero View Post
Hello, I live in Pelham Parkway.

It really depends on the block and which side of Pelham Parkway (the road). Pelham Parkway (the neighborhood itself) is very very small but from one block to another it is really different. Some blocks, depending on the hour of the day or night may look shady, with groups of people hanging, blasting music, but it rarely gets rowdy. The main issue post covid is loitering and drug dealing is way more conspicuous, especially since former councilman Mark Gjonaj did not seek reelection and this idiot of Marjorie Velazquez got elected (it was close though she got 51% of the votes). But it is limited to a few blocks.
Then you walk on the next block and it looks like Middle Village or Forest Hills, or like neighboring Morris Park (in other words very nice).
Post covid and since Velazquez took office though, unlicensed street vendors are running free on White Plains Road, people from other neighborhoods come hang out and not always for a good reason. Also, everybody knows the homeless/drug addicts around here, they are intimidating but harmless, and I mean everybody knows who they are.

Ethnically speaking and religiously, it is very very very very diverse. Mostly Hispanic (and more so Dominican than Puerto Rican, like in most of the Bronx and NYC, but also Puerto Ricans, Mexicans, Cubans, Colombians, Ecuadorians even Argentinians).

Leftovers of Russians/Jewish-Russians, Polish-Jews and diverse Jews, Irish-Americans, few Italian-Americans too.

The largest Albanian community in NYC and in the entire United States (who spanned eastwards to Morris Park, Pelham Bay, Country Club and Pelham Gardens, and Allerton to the North), they own a lot of the rental buildings in the area and individual houses and apartments.

A non-negligible North African and Middle Eastern community, spanning from Morocco to Yemen, through Egypt, Jordan and Palestine. You will always see many of them operating livery cabs and gathering in front of Starbucks on White Plains road under the train station.

Bangladeshis who moved from neighboring Parkchester.

Black Americans, though not in large numbers.

Jamaicans, Trinis, other West Indians and many Guyanese, especially the ethnic Indian Guyanese. You will find a handful of Brazilians too.

A mix of Southeast Asians in smaller numbers, Filipinos, Vietnamese, Cambodians.

A few Chinese families as well.

The one block I would have recommended you to avoid a few years ago was Cruger Avenue between Lydig Ave and Pelham Parkway South, but heavy police presence + buildings bought and renovated (and inflated rents) by new big landlords seemed to have worked well enough, and the hot spot now seems to be Wallace between Brady Ave and Lydig Ave. Overall you will be safe and most of the shady individuals you'll encounter come and go as they don't live in the neighborhood (explaining the amount of double-parked cars on these blocks).

So post-covid, definitely not as nice as pre-covid, but it is unfortunately a pattern in many neighborhoods, and many cities (and countries for that matter).

However it is a very convenient area to live in, in terms of supermarkets, pharmacies (and not just CVS-style), banks, fruits and vegetable stores and so on. It lacks in quality dining options, besides F & J Pine on Bronxdale Avenue which is a decent longstanding Sicilian spot; but a 10-15-minute walk to Morris Park Avenue will remedy it (check Patricia's of Morris Park and Enzo's on Williamsbridge), or walk to Little Yemen on White Plains Road below Rhinelander Avenue.
I think Pelham Parkway is underrated, it has a lot of those 6 story prewar elevator buildings which I love.

Is there any nightlife in the area?

Old 08-24-2023, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
I think Pelham Parkway is underrated, it has a lot of those 6 story prewar elevator buildings which I love.

Is there any nightlife in the area?
A lot of beautiful buildings indeed, some of them poorly maintained, some of them decent, some of them amazing. A lot of 1950's buildings modeled after the pre-war as well (without their charm and decoration).

No nightlife whatsoever. There used to be a famous pool hall that closed down in 2018. Then a bar opened on Lydig Avenue, a cool place with good beers and cocktails where you could see any type of personality from the area; it survived the abusive lockdowns, then closed for good less than a year ago. I am aware of a place on Boston Road and Mace Avenue, but I'm too old for these environments with a bouncer at the door and staff and customers looking at you weird because you appear to be of a different culture. Less than a year ago a franchise opened (I forgot the name but the first and only one was in the Upper West Side, they serve crab legs and lobster) and they seem to have parties on Saturday, but again, it seems like it only caters to a crowd that wears their pants in a way that you can see their butt molded in their underwear and ratchety women....

I go to Pelham Bay/Schuylerville and Throgs Neck for nighlife, East Tremont Avenue is booming these days, with old and new sports bars, steakhouses, Hibachi grills, pubs and so on...

Old 08-25-2023, 11:09 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,237,034 times
There's a unit for sale in that really nice Co-op building on the corner of Bronx Park East and Pelham Parkway. Think its 225 iirc for a 2bdrm. Prices are going up. That neighborhood has it all....shopping, park, boga, zoo, transit, highway access, trails, pool at Bronx House....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City