Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2020, 11:33 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,100,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
The number of "cases" rises, yet hospitalization and infections is still low, is an oxymoron.

How do you have "cases" without at least an infection? Are you or are you not infected with Covid-19

Or do they mean, have virus, but not showing any symptoms?

If not showing symptoms, then this virus is just another mutation of flu or whatever.
You're right, very strange sentence that doesn't make sense.

"However, De Blasio explained that though the number of new coronavirus cases is rising, other COVID-19 measures like hospitalizations and infection rate still remain low."

I could see how cases could be rising but (compared to the spring) case rate still remains low. However that's not what he said.

He throws in the phrase "other measures" after talking about cases. So case rate is different from infection rate? How?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2020, 01:56 PM

867 posts, read 411,341 times
Folks, let’s not forget, a person that tests positive means they have found at least fragments of the virus RNA, this includes serious symptoms, mild symptoms, and asymptomatic people, and people who had the virus in them recently. However a positive test doesn’t amount to a case, and that’s how people get tricked, if 10,000 people test positive one day, how many have symptoms? How many are really sick? Also let’s keep in mind that the virus has mutated and is less lethal. The lethality and mortality rates went down drastically.
For most governments, they cut health budgets so much they are just scared to be overwhelmed like in March.

Old 10-12-2020, 08:23 PM

5,204 posts, read 4,662,224 times
The bottom line is, the number of positive cases are going up but hospitalizations and deaths have not gone back to the level of April and May. This is happening around the world and noone knows why. Cuomo and DeBlasio are speaking with an over abundance of caution because what else can they do with the data they got? If you are here to claim you know better, you are just full of it.

The best option is to have completely nixed new positive cases like they have in some Asian countries. Of course that ship sailed long ago, if that was even an option at all. Don't blame the politicians, blame your fellow Americans.

Old 10-12-2020, 08:48 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,633,361 times
"CASES"
"CASES"
"CASES"
"CASES"
"CASES"
"CASES"

Is all we're hearing yet hospitalizations are flat, deaths are flat. "Cases" mean absolutely nothing but a scare tactic. They're basing all the "cases" on the number of people whom are getting tested counting people whom already have other coronaviruses in their system. Coronaviruses many of us already have. Not COVID-19, there's been a mix up between coronavirus and COVID-19, which is apart of the corona family but a different strain.

All that's happening is that a lot of these governors, mayors, politicians have gotten a piece of the Chinese authoritarian pie and don't want to loosen the grip that they have. It's election year as well, this has been nothing but a political game right now.

Old 10-14-2020, 11:21 AM

8,931 posts, read 4,748,927 times
https://www.amny.com/coronavirus/red...ross-new-york/

‘Red zone’ COVID-19 cases powering increase in hospitalizations across New York

More than 900 New Yorkers were hospitalized on Monday while battling COVID-19 symptoms — the highest statewide number in months — largely due to the growth of virus cases in the “red zones” where clusters have been found.

Governor Andrew Cuomo reported Tuesday that the state’s red zones — several of which are in Brooklyn and Queens — accounted for 12.3% of all positive COVID-19 cases diagnosed in New York on Monday. The clusters of COVID-19 across New York also drove up the hospitalization rate; more than 70% of the 923 people hospitalized for the virus hail from the red zones.

Subtracting red zones from the mix, the statewide COVID-19 positivity rate on Monday was just 1.2%, with 1,222 positive cases out of 94,932 test results reported.

Old 10-14-2020, 11:54 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,633,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
https://www.amny.com/coronavirus/red...ross-new-york/

‘Red zone’ COVID-19 cases powering increase in hospitalizations across New York

More than 900 New Yorkers were hospitalized on Monday while battling COVID-19 symptoms — the highest statewide number in months — largely due to the growth of virus cases in the “red zones” where clusters have been found.

Governor Andrew Cuomo reported Tuesday that the state’s red zones — several of which are in Brooklyn and Queens — accounted for 12.3% of all positive COVID-19 cases diagnosed in New York on Monday. The clusters of COVID-19 across New York also drove up the hospitalization rate; more than 70% of the 923 people hospitalized for the virus hail from the red zones.

Subtracting red zones from the mix, the statewide COVID-19 positivity rate on Monday was just 1.2%, with 1,222 positive cases out of 94,932 test results reported.
Hospitalizations don't mean a whole lot either. Some people are being admitted then released. How many are in ICU? Critical condition? How many are the admissions are serious? People go in and out of hospitals all the time for many different reasons. How many of those are truly COVID cases? These are the questions we have to ask.

Old 10-14-2020, 12:49 PM

8,931 posts, read 4,748,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
Hospitalizations don't mean a whole lot either. Some people are being admitted then released. How many are in ICU? Critical condition? How many are the admissions are serious? People go in and out of hospitals all the time for many different reasons. How many of those are truly COVID cases? These are the questions we have to ask.
It's not good to have the hospitals overwhelmed but I agree. I pay more attention to the death count which remains low last I checked.

Old 10-14-2020, 05:18 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,358,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
It's not good to have the hospitals overwhelmed but I agree. I pay more attention to the death count which remains low last I checked.
I think they compared the cases to June and so not so bad. I am curious what the count will be like post Halloween.

Old 10-14-2020, 07:02 PM

16,028 posts, read 6,812,311 times
Response:Opinion

Covid has now become the political weapon of choice...

Watch for a sudden change after November 4th 2020......

Old 10-14-2020, 08:23 PM

644 posts, read 306,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Response:Opinion

Covid has now become the political weapon of choice...

Watch for a sudden change after November 4th 2020......
I've heard this so many times, and I don't understand. I don't understand this idea for the life of me. Why does anyone expect anything to change after the election??? NY has voted Democrat for years and years. Even if there is a groundswell of Republican support this year, it's very unlikely the vote overall will change. You would think our local government would bend over backwards to make sure people can vote. Even in areas that are "mostly Republican" there are lots of Democratic voters.

The only thing I can think of, DeBlasio is trying to make the situation look even worse than it is for the benefit of Cuomo and the feds, so one of them can bail him out. And Cuomo is trying to make it look even worse so the feds can bail him out. Only chances are, that's not happening whether or not Biden wins. It's Congress that calls the shots with funding, and they couldn't agree before and won't be able to agree come November. Sooo... after November 4, we'll still have poverty theater, both of our leaders making us more and more impoverished so they can panhandle until someone hands them some cash.

The new lockdown is also a very ingenious cash machine. Take away people's ability to work, cut the services you're providing to them (school buses, school meals, etc.), and then fine them big $$$ when they do something out of line while they're trying to survive. Oh, and take away state funding if they're not compliant enough, while continuing to take their money via fines. Total win for state finances, and no need to officially raise taxes.

Of course this will only work in the short term, but that's small comfort to people who have no ability to pick up and leave (I suppose that's most of us).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City