Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2020, 07:54 PM

5,668 posts, read 2,608,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.Dinero View Post
All I can say is I remember Downtown Brooklyn way before we even knew the Barclay's Center would be there, when the only skyscraper and tallest building in Brooklyn was 1 Ashland Place.
And all the nearby areas were more or less shady and affordable, including Downtown itself, it was ran down.
With the proximity to Harlem that already went that way I don't see why it would be different, once Covid is over and the recovery comes back in full effect.
Harlem is still much hood. Sure 125th street is like 34th street for shopping and there are nice restaurants there now but lets not forget how Harlem is. You act like Harlem is Chelsea or midtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2020, 06:51 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,288,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
Harlem is still much hood. Sure 125th street is like 34th street for shopping and there are nice restaurants there now but lets not forget how Harlem is. You act like Harlem is Chelsea or midtown.
Like 34th St is an exaggeration. Just because Whole Foods moved in doesn't mean all is well. Just walk a few blocks EAST and you have Meth Central.

Old 10-22-2020, 07:42 AM

37,133 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Like 34th St is an exaggeration. Just because Whole Foods moved in doesn't mean all is well. Just walk a few blocks EAST and you have Meth Central.
What do you reckon is the number of stores / chains overlap is for 34th and 125th, i.e. stores that are on both streets? My guess is around two dozen.

Anyhow, 90sSitcom did say "lets not forget how Harlem is" which is in line with what you're saying. I think she's right with the shopping as it's definitely heavily commercialized with similar stores in parts, so I think the explicit reference to just shopping sounds appropriate.

Old 10-22-2020, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
What I meant was they have major stores like 34th street. H&M, Victoria Secret, Bath and Body Works, Bed Bath & Beyond, Old Navy, DSW, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
What do you reckon is the number of stores / chains overlap is for 34th and 125th, i.e. stores that are on both streets? My guess is around two dozen.

Anyhow, 90sSitcom did say "lets not forget how Harlem is" which is in line with what you're saying. I think she's right with the shopping as it's definitely heavily commercialized with similar stores in parts, so I think the explicit reference to just shopping sounds appropriate.
Well said. Thank you!

Old 10-22-2020, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Are they actually renting those for that amount though or is that just the initial list price? A lot of new construction elsewhere in the city has basically been giving months off the lease in order to keep the initial listing price as is, but with the effective monthly rent being substantially lower. It all sort of depends on what the market will bear and what the finances of the developer/owner actually are. I would think it's impossible that they're actually filling the building up right now without massive concessions that are possibly even greater than that offered elsewhere in new construction in nicer neighborhoods.
Ms Shaw stepped up and took the case!

The cheapest studio is listed as $1971 a month. That is the price based up a 14 month lease getting 2 months free. The actually price of the studio is $2300 a month.
So when its time for someone to renew their lease the increase will be based off $2300.

Old 10-22-2020, 01:56 PM

Quote:

The cheapest studio is listed as $1971 a month. That is the price based up a 14 month lease getting 2 months free. The actually price of the studio is $2300 a month.
So when its time for someone to renew their lease the increase will be based off $2300.
Well done! I figured as much since renting it for $2300 a month sounds pretty unlikely, amenities be damned. The landlords will certainly want to increase the rent come renewal, but if the market is so soft, then they better be ready to stay down or for that person to jump ship (and that person should also be ready to make that jump). That being said, I would have thought it'd take another month or two more "free" to get people to bite.

Old 10-22-2020, 04:54 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,765,592 times
Quote:

This is true. I don't know much about Harlem but I do know that one stretch of Harlem because when my friends & I paid a visit to a colleague who lived there she warned us when getting off the subway stop to just stay at that stretch as much as possible & don't veer too far to the left or right of that if we could help it. lol.

Old 10-26-2020, 09:14 PM

1,486 posts, read 988,743 times
Quote:

Quote:
Well done! I figured as much since renting it for $2300 a month sounds pretty unlikely, amenities be damned. The landlords will certainly want to increase the rent come renewal, but if the market is so soft, then they better be ready to stay down or for that person to jump ship (and that person should also be ready to make that jump). That being said, I would have thought it'd take another month or two more "free" to get people to bite.

If I understand both of your post correct then the listings below shows how rent in the South Bronx is too damn high where they can give 1 or 2 months free to lower the yearly rent but at lease renewal time it renews at the non incentive price.

https://www.goldfarbproperties.com/rentals/the-bronx

Old 10-26-2020, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
If I understand both of your post correct then the listings below shows how rent in the South Bronx is too damn high where they can give 1 or 2 months free to lower the yearly rent but at lease renewal time it renews at the non incentive price.

https://www.goldfarbproperties.com/rentals/the-bronx
You don't automatically get signed on to the list price upon expiration of your lease. The landlord obviously is going to hope that prices recover and so that the effective rate is back up to what it was before or even higher, but it's not like you are forced to agree to that or that you'll pay a penalty for opting to not renew your lease. If the market is still soft by then, then the landlord will have to adjust accordingly lest you opt for a cheaper place than the renewal terms they're offering.

Old 10-27-2020, 04:06 AM

Quote:
You don't automatically get signed on to the list price upon expiration of your lease. The landlord obviously is going to hope that prices recover and so that the effective rate is back up to what it was before or even higher, but it's not like you are forced to agree to that or that you'll pay a penalty for opting to not renew your lease. If the market is still soft by then, then the landlord will have to adjust accordingly lest you opt for a cheaper place than the renewal terms they're offering.
Yeah you have to ask but in my case I didn't have much luck.

In 2010 I lived in a luxury building and it came with a month free and a year free of amenities. When it was time to renew the lease they increased it based upon the legal rent. So I called them up to see if they would increase it based upon what I was paying or if they had any deals like another free month or another free year of the amenities. They told me the market no longer warranted a deal so my rent would remain what they put on the lease renewal.
Another time I rented a studio in a rent stabilized building and the landlord knocked it down because he wanted to get it rented. It was the first floor apartment in a walk up building that was kind of ****ty. I needed a new place fast so I took it. When it was time to renew he renewed the rent based on the legal rent and said he wouldn't offer me any deal this time.

Out of curiosity I looked at Harlem. Since people are always saying the South Bronx is the new Harlem or an extension of Harlem. There are newer luxury buildings for about the same if not even less rent than this new Bronx building. So I don't know why you would want to live in the middle of nowhere, when you live in Manhattan, in an area that least has many trains, stores and restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City