Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2020, 12:57 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I would imagine the "walk-up" part would be easy for a youngish, fit person. It might be more challenging for disabled or old people.

Even for the young person - how is it to have to haul stuff up stairs? Is that a frequent thing or a rare thing? Do people tend to eat out so as not to have to carry grocery bags up several flights of stairs?

Have you ever experienced or seen anything weird?
Strenuous exercise is for everyone not just young and fit. You stay young and fit through strenuous exercise relatively speaking.

You learn to make most out of every trip so you make less trips. You tend to buy less groceries each time. The good side to that is you dont overeat per eating session. Or you go get more food and burn more calories. A lot of delivery boys demand you come downstairs to pick up.

Nothing weird happens because usually you pick a nice building to live in. If you live a shelter hotel, surely you may see something or if its a project filled with thugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2020, 02:12 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,541,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
What is wrong with this person? I mean WTF?

"Tell me stories about challenges of walking up stairs?"
Mind boggling. Here's another one in a similar vein from OP but with an elevator!

https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-...t-stuff-4.html

Old 10-15-2020, 02:21 PM

10,053 posts, read 14,418,692 times
I lived on a 4th floor walk-up in Williamsburg for 2 years.

Beautiful railroad apartment with wide plank wood floors and tin ceilings. Bright, spacious and pre-war.

The walk up the steps was BRUTAL.

You think it's no issue, but it's an absolute pain in the butt. First off, moving in and out, furniture-wise, is an entire painful process. You'll be sore for several days unless you are in amazing shape.

On the daily, it's a workout just going up and down the steps. It gets you in shape, but if you have anything sore--back, knee, hip, foot, leg, whatever, it's a huge stumbling block just to reach your front door.

Laundry up and down the steps? Colossal planning has to take place. Groceries? Large purchases of any kind? Huge effort must be made.

Walk ups are not for the lazy, nor those who want super easy convenience.

That's why I moved out--after 2 years, the inconvenience was becoming annoying.

Now I live on the 2nd floor, and it's just perfect.

Old 10-15-2020, 02:29 PM

43,618 posts, read 44,346,965 times
When I was teenager overseas my family lived in an apt. on the top floor of a walkup building. It was 72 steps (or the 5th floor in American terms). Being that my mom had a back problem, my father did all of the grocery shopping. Laundry wasn't a problem as we had a washing machine in our apt. When my NYC grandparents came although they stayed in a hotel, they did come for a couple of weekend meals and my grandfather would take a break on each floor (my father carried a folding chair for him) in order to come up to the apt.

Old 10-15-2020, 05:30 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
I grew up in the burbs, but we didn't even have front steps. My father was a disabled WWII veteran and had a grant to build an accessible house. (They moved in November 1957. I was born August 1958. I say I was the new master bedroom tryout.)

Wide sidewalk leads to the front door. Extra wide doorways on the first floor. Extra large bathrooms, all made to accommodate a wheelchair for when he couldn't walk on his artificial legs. Eventually as they kept having kids they added three more bedrooms and another bath on the second floor, and when I was 11 and the last kid was born, I got to move to THE SECOND FLOOR, which was very exciting for me for some reason.

Now I live on a ground floor, one level condo again. Happy to not have stairs.

Old 10-15-2020, 06:05 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,645,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
OP given your age, its a helllllnawwwwww.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QxIIz1yEsA

Old 10-15-2020, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I lived on a 4th floor walk-up in Williamsburg for 2 years.

Beautiful railroad apartment with wide plank wood floors and tin ceilings. Bright, spacious and pre-war.

The walk up the steps was BRUTAL.

You think it's no issue, but it's an absolute pain in the butt. First off, moving in and out, furniture-wise, is an entire painful process. You'll be sore for several days unless you are in amazing shape.

On the daily, it's a workout just going up and down the steps. It gets you in shape, but if you have anything sore--back, knee, hip, foot, leg, whatever, it's a huge stumbling block just to reach your front door.

Laundry up and down the steps? Colossal planning has to take place. Groceries? Large purchases of any kind? Huge effort must be made.

Walk ups are not for the lazy, nor those who want super easy convenience.

That's why I moved out--after 2 years, the inconvenience was becoming annoying.

Now I live on the 2nd floor, and it's just perfect.
Thank you. So helpful.

Old 10-15-2020, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
When I was teenager overseas my family lived in an apt. on the top floor of a walkup building. It was 72 steps (or the 5th floor in American terms). Being that my mom had a back problem, my father did all of the grocery shopping. Laundry wasn't a problem as we had a washing machine in our apt. When my NYC grandparents came although they stayed in a hotel, they did come for a couple of weekend meals and my grandfather would take a break on each floor (my father carried a folding chair for him) in order to come up to the apt.
Wow. That's another thing to think about: fitness of guests!

Old 10-16-2020, 11:53 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
What is wrong with this person? I mean WTF?

"Tell me stories about challenges of walking up stairs?"
This reminds me of years ago when it was part of my job to process the incident reports of injuries sustained by facility maintenance workers. There was a place on the form for "How can this incident be prevented in the future?"

One guy's injury was hurting his knee when he tripped while walking up some stairs. In the prevention part of the form, he had written, "Approach the stairs with caution. Do not take them for granted."

As if it was something the stairs had done. They suddenly shifted to the right or something.

Old 10-16-2020, 12:01 PM

3,214 posts, read 1,601,675 times
Used lots of delivery services.

We were very happy to find a local laundry service that would pick up and deliver. That gave us a whole day a week back. Even the local supermarket would deliver. Leave your bags there and they would come later.

We tipped well, especially the deliveries of cases of bottled water, and boxes of cat litter, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City