Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2020, 11:17 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,939,379 times

Advertisements

What are the borders of Ridgewood, Bushwick, and Bed Stuy/Stuy Hts?

I drove around walked around just now at midnight. I went from Fresh Pond Rd M train area, to Cypress/Hancock, then southeast on Wyckoff Ave, and I find myself all the way down by the Irving Park, and the Evergreen Cemetery borders.

Is Myrtle Ave the border for Ridgewood/Bushwick? Is Bushwick Ave or Broadway the border for Bushwick/Bed Stuy or Stuy Hts?

Bushwick is kind of surreal. You have gentrifiers (if that is what they called now) mixed into a salad bowl along with the urban black community. The gentrifiers have their hip bars, and cafes, while the urban blacks hang out at the ME fried chicken/pizza joints and bodegas. I have also noticed Ridgewood closer to Myrtle you get becomes more Mexican or Honduran, or Guatemalan. There are so many taco shops around. Is Myrtle the second highest concentration of Mexicans/Central Americans. So the closer you are to LIE the more white, and you head away from LIE the darker you become.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2020, 12:08 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,597,419 times
Lol, Myrtle Ave is nowhere near being the Bushwick/Ridgewood border. Look on google maps, the borders they have seem to be 100% accurate.

Roughly: Northern border of Bushwick ranges from Cypress to Irving, it gradually goes South as you go East. So for instance, by the Halsey L stop the North side of Wyckoff is Ridgewood and the South side is Bushwick.

Southern Border of Bushwick is Broadway.

Bushwick West of Myrtle Ave has the highest concentration of Mexicans and Ecuadorians. Black people are mainly in Southern and Eastern Bushwick (closer to Broadway or the cemetary) and Puerto Ricans are found throughout.

There are white gentrifiers throughout the whole neighborhood, but they are especially apparent West of Myrtle Avenue I'd say. And I don't think Bushwick has many Guatemalans. It has many Puerto Ricans, Mexicans, Dominicans, and Ecuadorians, and a smattering of Hondurans and other types of Hispanics. But I haven't met any Guatemalans yet.

Btw, what is "urban blacks" supposed to mean? The neighborhood is extremely urban regardless of your race and your lifestyle. If you mean that non-hipster blacks and Hispanics tend to hang out at different places than the white hipsters, you would be right. But the hipster bars have plenty of people of color.

Last edited by Foamposite; 10-22-2020 at 12:19 AM..

Old 10-22-2020, 12:09 AM

Here you go.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bu...!4d-73.9170604

Old 10-22-2020, 05:27 AM

16,029 posts, read 6,840,321 times
Response: Opinion

30 years born raised Ridgewood.
This is the border I knew under the 11227 zipcode.

From Flushing ave to Freshpond Rd to Myrtle Ave to Wycoff Ave
and back again to Flushing ave .

A neighborhood of mostly 6 family homes peppered some two and even less one family homes.
A neighborhood that was mostly Irish,German,Italian,Polish,Yugoslavian,Ukrainian, Romanian,
in this order of prominence when I grew up.

Today it is mostly diverse along the boundary lines of Wycoff and Flushing consisting of
Latinos majority while along the boundary lines of Freshpond and Myrtle a more European majority.
I still frequent the neighborhood only for senior visits but my visits are growing less and less as my
relatives and friends (Ridgewood die hards) have passed away of old age, kidnapped by their children
and moved to the Island or currently warehoused in Nursing Homes.

Ridgewood was once a place for immigrants to plant their feet for thier entire lives but now
has become nothing more than a rest stop for immigrants until they saved up enough money
to move their families to more wonderful and safer environments.

Old 10-24-2020, 07:11 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,757,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Well isn't that clever. Bed Sty is now, "Stuyvesant heights"

Old 10-24-2020, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
Well isn't that clever. Bed Sty is now, "Stuyvesant heights"
I don't think that's some made up thing.

Isn't "Bed-Stuy" a combination of Bedford and Stuyvesant Heights?

Old 10-24-2020, 11:05 AM

34,080 posts, read 47,278,015 times
Stuyvesant Heights is the landmarked section of Bed-Stuy north of Boys & Girls HS.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-25-2020, 07:15 AM

870 posts, read 414,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
What are the borders of Ridgewood, Bushwick, and Bed Stuy/Stuy Hts?

I drove around walked around just now at midnight. I went from Fresh Pond Rd M train area, to Cypress/Hancock, then southeast on Wyckoff Ave, and I find myself all the way down by the Irving Park, and the Evergreen Cemetery borders.

Is Myrtle Ave the border for Ridgewood/Bushwick? Is Bushwick Ave or Broadway the border for Bushwick/Bed Stuy or Stuy Hts?

Bushwick is kind of surreal. You have gentrifiers (if that is what they called now) mixed into a salad bowl along with the urban black community. The gentrifiers have their hip bars, and cafes, while the urban blacks hang out at the ME fried chicken/pizza joints and bodegas. I have also noticed Ridgewood closer to Myrtle you get becomes more Mexican or Honduran, or Guatemalan. There are so many taco shops around. Is Myrtle the second highest concentration of Mexicans/Central Americans. So the closer you are to LIE the more white, and you head away from LIE the darker you become.
It’s been like that for over ten years, with higher rents/real estate prices, so more wealthy hipsters and trust-fund kids getting the NYC experience. And when it started I also thought it was surreal to use your term. Like two completely different worlds living next door to each other.
As far as «*urban blacks/latinos*» I’m not really understanding it. They’re just the people of Bed-Stuy and Bushwick. But it is indeed surprising seeing a typical «*hood*» crowd walking and living right across from out of state mostly white people, with different dress codes, slang/speech and habits.

Old 10-25-2020, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.Dinero View Post
It’s been like that for over ten years, with higher rents/real estate prices, so more wealthy hipsters and trust-fund kids getting the NYC experience. And when it started I also thought it was surreal to use your term. Like two completely different worlds living next door to each other.
As far as «*urban blacks/latinos*» I’m not really understanding it. They’re just the people of Bed-Stuy and Bushwick. But it is indeed surprising seeing a typical «*hood*» crowd walking and living right across from out of state mostly white people, with different dress codes, slang/speech and habits.
A lot of the Latinos there are newish too. It's not all multi generation Puerto Ricans anymore.

Old 10-25-2020, 09:56 AM

870 posts, read 414,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
A lot of the Latinos there are newish too. It's not all multi generation Puerto Ricans anymore.
I believe you. But are they more working class new to the US? Or upper-middle class transplants ?
Because in neighborhoods with a mostly black population (or historically mostly black American), like Bedford-Stuyvesant and Fort Greene, many African-Americans who “joined the fight” against gentrification (or what they see as gentrification) are themselves part of the “problem”; they moved from upper middle class neighborhoods of Atlanta, L.A, Miami, and so on, accepted the high rents, go to these new hip places (many of them, though black-owned, would have never existed without the gentrification wave), dress “urban chic” or straight up hippie, yet wanna rant about gentrification, go figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City