Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2020, 09:17 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times

Advertisements

What are your favorite places to explore in/around NYC with the exception of Manhattan? Thinking of ideas like Coney Island, City Island, Dumbo, Wave Hill, Brooklyn Botanic Garden, Rockaway Beach, Governor's Island.

Covid era-friendly (mostly outdoors) and requirement to get there by car is ok. Just outside NYC is ok as well, like close-by Westchester.

Thanks for suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2020, 09:27 AM

6,688 posts, read 6,033,238 times
I like to walk in Inwood Hill Park, and then eat delicious foods at Spanish restaurants for cheap.

Also, taking the New York Ferry to Far Rockaway is an adventure. Walking Manhattan beach is therapeutic as well.

Old 10-22-2020, 10:28 AM

295 posts, read 281,639 times
Yes it's nice taking a ferry somewhere, even if just RT to Staten Island. Nice at night too.

Coney Island and the NY Aquarium is nice for a change of scenery. You need a bit of money for the rides though especially if you're taking kids.

Never been to Rockaway but my daughters prefer it to the beach at Coney Island.

Henry Hudson Drive/River Road along the base of the Palisades is nice too if you bicycle or want to do a long walk. It's just across the GW Bridge and goes under the bridge.
https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/new-...est-fall-road/

Old 10-22-2020, 12:26 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Bergen County:
Easy hiking along the Palisades / Hudson River waterfront
Field Station: Dinosaurs if you're into dinosaurs, have kids into dinosaurs, or like kitsch
Might as well eat some great Korean food while there

Lower Westchester:
Untermeyer Gardens in Yonkers
Yonkers Raceway if you want to see some horses racing (I think it's open, but not sure)

Bronx:
Parkchester
Riverdale Park (very nature-y park; can pick up a stellar pastrami or tongue sandwich at Liebman's on the way there if going by subway and foot or own vehicle)
Woodlawn Cemetery

Queens:
Queens County Farm Museum (working farm museum)
Queens Zoo, especially the aviary, but I find it's only worth it if not paying full price as it's quite small
Fort Totten Park
First Cavalry Cemetery, lots of historic figures, great views
Forest Park

Staten Island:
The Greenbelt and its many and various parks
Snug Harbor (Tuscan and Suzhou gardens)
Fort Wadsworth

Brooklyn:
Prospect Park, standard answer, but it is nice
Greenwood Cemetery, maybe the best cemetery in NYC to walk around

Nassau:
Belmont horse races, maybe still open
Long Beach boardwalk, not sure what beach hours are like now in the off-season; Jordan Lobster Farm is somewhat nearby and is tasty and outdoors
Jones Beach State Park (you will pay for parking)
Old Westbury Gardens
Hempstead House
Planting Fields Arboretum

Old 10-22-2020, 12:30 PM

5,683 posts, read 2,612,281 times
My favorite thing use to be to take a train to a stop I never got on/off at before and explore it. That and running is how I know the 4 boro's so well. I skipped Staten Island

Old 10-22-2020, 01:29 PM

Thanks for all these great suggestions!

Old 10-22-2020, 05:34 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,152,805 times
Botanical Gardens behind the bronx zoo. Great place. Have the park for self, no one goes there, except me...

Old 10-22-2020, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
My favorite thing use to be to take a train to a stop I never got on/off at before and explore it. That and running is how I know the 4 boro's so well. I skipped Staten Island
a poem for you:

Edna St. Vincent Millay - 1892-1950

The railroad track is miles away,
And the day is loud with voices speaking,
Yet there isn't a train goes by all day
But I hear its whistle shrieking.

All night there isn't a train goes by,
Though the night is still for sleep and dreaming,
But I see its cinders red on the sky,
And hear its engine steaming.

My heart is warm with the friends I make,
And better friends I'll not be knowing;
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,
No matter where it's going.

Old 10-22-2020, 07:31 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times
Only worthy day trips are at least an hour outside NYC borders. I have been going to Putnam county a lot, and Conn. I like to eat steamed burgers in Conn.

Old 10-22-2020, 07:43 PM

7,348 posts, read 4,134,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Only worthy day trips are at least an hour outside NYC borders. I have been going to Putnam county a lot, and Conn. I like to eat steamed burgers in Conn.
OMG! Have you had a Ted's steamed burger?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City