Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2020, 11:56 PM

2,450 posts, read 972,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda718 View Post
Many streets in NYC desperately need safety improvements however I think the Deblasio administation just doesn't know what they're doing. 40-50 mph is too high for pretty much any street in the city except the highways but most of the main throughfares in the outerboroughs should be 30-35 mph.
My average speed on the main roads is 39 MPH. Which is a very reasonable speed.
de Blasio didn't so anything to help the flow of traffic. It's all about inhibiting traffic, slowing it to a crawl, and deliberately causing people to be miserable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2020, 07:35 AM

1,424 posts, read 726,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Time View Post
de Blasio didn't so anything to help the flow of traffic. It's all about inhibiting traffic, slowing it to a crawl, and deliberately causing people to be miserable.
Honestly the NYC DOT is very inept, even before DeBlasio. It's hard to believe residential side streets use to have 30 mph speed limits. Most of them should be 20 or 25 mph at most.

Where I live its usually 25 mph for side streets, and 35 or higher for the main roadways. School zones are 15.

Old 11-20-2020, 11:19 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
Honestly the NYC DOT is very inept, even before DeBlasio. It's hard to believe residential side streets use to have 30 mph speed limits. Most of them should be 20 or 25 mph at most.

Where I live its usually 25 mph for side streets, and 35 or higher for the main roadways. School zones are 15.
Speed limits doesn't save lives. If a car turns towards you at 5mph you still have no way of getting out of the way in time unless you have quick feet. Often pedestrian accident is due to turns and people just walking not in the crosswalk and the drivers usually stayed and didn't hit very hard. But the pedestrian dies from the force of the car. The larger the vehicle the greater the impact force, doesn't matter if it's 2-10mph the force of the car due to weight is enough to knock anyone under 1,000lbs several feet.

Old 11-20-2020, 12:26 PM

1,424 posts, read 726,120 times
Quote:
I didn't realize you lived in Staten Island. If I had to move back to NYC ( And I prey I don't ), I would only consider living in that borough. Driving a car is basically illegal in NYC now except SI.

I use to live in Queens, which got brutally screwed with DeBlasio's Vehicle Zero policies. Every street got its speed limit reduced to 25, even major throughfares in suburban Eastern Queens like Union Turnpike, Springfield Blvd, Francis Lewis Blvd, Northern Blvd etc. I think Woodhaven Blvd is the only street in Queens with a speed limit above 25, and it's only a matter of time before that gets reduced too. The bus lanes already turned that street into a crawl, and I use to get to destinations faster by taking side streets.

Old 11-20-2020, 12:55 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,480,492 times
deblasio did nothing about subway expansion

Old 11-21-2020, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Speed limits doesn't save lives. If a car turns towards you at 5mph you still have no way of getting out of the way in time unless you have quick feet. Often pedestrian accident is due to turns and people just walking not in the crosswalk and the drivers usually stayed and didn't hit very hard. But the pedestrian dies from the force of the car. The larger the vehicle the greater the impact force, doesn't matter if it's 2-10mph the force of the car due to weight is enough to knock anyone under 1,000lbs several feet.
Before texting the majority of pedestrian on car incidents were the fault of careless pedestrians. Distracted driving by texting has seen the number of those accidents be truly the fault of the driver have increased. I am ok with 25 moh down a side street. There are side streets than there are side streets. The latter should be 25 MPH.

Old 11-21-2020, 02:06 AM

Quote:
I didn't realize you lived in Staten Island. If I had to move back to NYC ( And I prey I don't ), I would only consider living in that borough. Driving a car is basically illegal in NYC now except SI.

I use to live in Queens, which got brutally screwed with DeBlasio's Vehicle Zero policies. Every street got its speed limit reduced to 25, even major throughfares in suburban Eastern Queens like Union Turnpike, Springfield Blvd, Francis Lewis Blvd, Northern Blvd etc. I think Woodhaven Blvd is the only street in Queens with a speed limit above 25, and it's only a matter of time before that gets reduced too. The bus lanes already turned that street into a crawl, and I use to get to destinations faster by taking side streets.
The cameras are everywhere. People driving 15 mph down main roads. Ridiculous confusing turning lanes in the middle of Richmond Ave. Bike lanes in the middle of the street. It looks like a 4-year-old designed these streets. Where is Robert Moses when you need him!?

Old 11-22-2020, 08:37 PM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
NIMBY's have something to do with it. We need an all city plan that NIMBY's can't thwart. I like what I saw in downtown Manhattan and parts of Queens.

The bike lane was next to the curb. The parking was one lane out. In essence, the parked cars protect bikers. I think coupled with bikers education (perhaps a need to have a permit in hand at all times) wearing clothing that make one more visible, and good reflectors or lights on the bike are all good steps. But they need to be in concert with each other.

we have this down in sunset park where I work, disaster, the trucks have a hard time making the turns, we lost 5 parking spaces on one block alone, and there are NEVER any bike riders riding on this block or any of the other blocks down here, as it is very industrial.....thus no one in thier right mind would bike down here to bike to no-where.

we have freaking idiots running this city.....half the bike lanes we dont need, and many have taken away many of our much needed parking spaces.

Old 11-23-2020, 07:46 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
The cameras are everywhere. People driving 15 mph down main roads. Ridiculous confusing turning lanes in the middle of Richmond Ave. Bike lanes in the middle of the street. It looks like a 4-year-old designed these streets. Where is Robert Moses when you need him!?
Bike lanes in the middle of the street? Where is this?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-23-2020, 07:52 AM

4,198 posts, read 4,085,686 times
A hospital worker was killed last week when a drunk driver went through a red light and hit his car on Union Turnpike (speed limit 25) at 97 mph. I wasn’t a big fan of speed cameras but maybe they should be operational 24/7 and that driver wouldn’t have dared to drive 97 when the cameras were off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City