Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2020, 01:26 AM

16,140 posts, read 6,886,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
I know a few of you are going to roll your eyes and complain about me/us complaining (Looking at you, Seventh Floor, still love you though). However, in the words of Mr. Retired:

Love it or hate it, this is only my opinion:

Excerpt:I don't understand, I just don't. And many of you COVID lovers, please combat my opinion. Please, seriously, give me a reason to think different. Convince me, sway me because I just don't get it.

Response: Opinion

Well done!

No one can combat your opinion.
Unless everyone participates there is no fun in playing the game if only a few follow the rules.

The Spanish influenza died in 4 short years.
No vaccine. No respirators. No overnight service or quick access to medication.
With less than 1.5 billion in the world at the time and 50 million dead it is deadlier in comparison to COVID but this is where the similarity ends.

COVID is still deadly.
COVID will mutate.
COVID will never go away.
COVID will be another illness that kills every year just like the remnants of the Spanish Influenza commonly referred to as the common flu today.
No cure.....only a vaccine that is always a year behind the mutation.
Many will die and many more will get sick and survive.
Americans have continued to survive the Flu generations after generations.
Americans can survive COVID by being practical and taking precautions.
What Americans can not survive is an Economic Collapse that is nothing
more than a contrived stunt to subjugate the masses and strip us of our freedoms.

Instead of working on a vaccine for Covid that is killing Americans
work on a vaccine for politicians that are killing our Americann economy.

Remember this walking into the polling stations.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2020, 06:35 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,762,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Shouldn't even be an argument. If we had stayed true to our values as Americans - and the Constitution - politicians never would have been able to close ANYTHING to begin with. There's a reason why American leaders are called "politicians" as opposed to other titles.
A there my friend, is the warped view of what our values and the Constitution means. It doesn't mean this. And the warped idea has been politicized on right wing media.

What happened to the values we had during WWII..... each to do their part....

Old 10-24-2020, 06:38 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,762,730 times
Quote:
People love to tell me this. I don't wear mask and I'm still alive.
I'd like to see the line up of people you have made permanently disabled or killed by not wearing a mask.

Old 10-24-2020, 10:06 AM

19,070 posts, read 13,999,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
A there my friend, is the warped view of what our values and the Constitution means. It doesn't mean this. And the warped idea has been politicized on right wing media.

Simple: show me where the Constitution proffers YOUR side then. Not "values," but the actual legal mechanism which allows our government to dictate our lives because of a flu.

Fyi, I don't partake of any particular media outlet's skewed reporting, so you can drop that played out nonsense.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 10-24-2020, 10:25 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,611,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post

Lol @ comparing Coronavirus to Adolf Hitler

Old 10-24-2020, 11:07 AM

34,134 posts, read 47,363,401 times
Quote:
People love to tell me this. I don't wear mask and I'm still alive.
I let a train go by the other day because it was too crowded

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-24-2020, 11:34 AM

5,450 posts, read 2,723,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post

COVID is still deadly.
COVID will mutate.
COVID will never go away.
COVID will be another illness that kills every year just like the remnants of the Spanish Influenza commonly referred to as the common flu today.
No cure.....only a vaccine that is always a year behind the mutation.
Many will die and many more will get sick and survive.
Flu vaccine effectiveness rates over the last 10 influenza seasons have ranged from 60 percent for the 2010-2011 season, meaning that on average it reduced a person’s overall risk of having to seek medical care at a doctor’s office for flu illness by 60 percent, to a low of 19 percent for the 2014-2015 season.
The flu vaccine reduces infections and deaths so why are you implying a COVID vaccine would be useless because of always being behind mutation?

Old 10-24-2020, 11:47 AM

5,713 posts, read 2,629,625 times
Quote:
I know a few of you are going to roll your eyes and complain about me/us complaining (Looking at you, Seventh Floor, still love you though). However, in the words of Mr. Retired:

Love it or hate it, this is only my opinion:

I was on the subway today during rush hour in the morning and afternoon. The trains were packed, albeit less packed then pre-covid but still packed, packed enough where people are standing up. I am looking around and there's no "social-distancing" none of that non-sense. One person is drinking their protein drink (I assume, it was in a shake bottle) while another individual is snacking on a bag of chips. Not saying that these people should be penalized in anyway, at all. Despite the fact that I hate when people eat on the train, unless you're not standing or sitting near anyone. The point is: How is this okay but eating at a full capacity restaurant isn't? I would wager the subway is infinitely much dirtier than a restaurant. The subway has millions of riders a day and even more throughout the year. So many different types of people and so many of them aren't the most sanitary of people.

Most restaurants wouldn't come close to the number of people riding the subway, they MUST be sanitary, especially if they want a nice grade from the health department. And with this COVID BS, you know many of these establishments would take even much more precautions and steps to ensure that people would be "at ease" and not have any "COVID concerns" (HATE that word). It's absolutely insane that we can pack people on the train yet these small businesses have to be continuously abused by these politicians.

Again, how can we allow people to be PACKED in a ENCLOSED train car, huffin and puffin on top of each other but a large group of people whom are not BLM can't have gatherings outside. How is it okay to allow people to pack like sardines onto an INSULATED train car but we can't have people eat at a restaurant or have some drinks at a bar? What's so hard about having multiple hand sanitizers at a bar and restaurant? Having the establishments up the ante on the clean up?

I don't understand, I just don't. And many of you COVID lovers, please combat my opinion. Please, seriously, give me a reason to think different. Convince me, sway me because I just don't get it. MTA can continue to rake in the dough but mom-and-pops, small and medium businesses have to fight tooth and nail to stay afloat.

OPEN THE DANG RESTAURANTS AND BARS UP ALREADY!!
I was on the subway last night around 6pm. Train was packed. Guy in front of me standing, chomping down on two small bags of chips. Obviously not wearing a mask. I def would have more personal space if I were at a bar or restaurant.

Old 10-24-2020, 09:10 PM

6,693 posts, read 6,048,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
I don't know what his current weight is but in May Trump weighed 239 and he's 6' 3
One pound short of the official "obese"

This is what Trump typically eats in a day

For breakfast he often doesn't eat it, his big meal is dinner. He is said not to often not eat for 14-16 hours
When he does he eats either bacon and eggs, cereal or a McDonald’s McMuffin.
For lunch he likes meatloaf sandwiches but he tends to eat light in the day.
For dinner he’s a huge fan of fast food, including McDonald’s, Burger King and KFC
His preferred order is two Big Macs, two Filet-O-Fish sandwiches, and a small chocolate shake – a total of 2,430 calories.
He loves Diet Coke, reportedly drinking 12 cans a day. He likes to snack on crisps, and apparently had the White House kitchens stocked with Lay’s potato chips and Doritos.

If restaurants, bars, gyms, schools, theaters, etc., everything was opened tomorrow and cases started to go up if you were running things would there be any limit imposed at which you would re-close anything?
For instance in March there were about 5,000 cases a day. If that happened again would you say that doesn't matter what the number of cases is per day, nothing should ever be closed in response to COVID-19 ?
Well, if obese Trump was able to beat the virus, then that means it’s not as deadly for as many people as many think it is. My 77 year old aunt caught it and recovered fully. I visit her home every week, since she lives with my mom and guess what? We’re not dead.

Obese people like Trump may be fat but most likely he doesn’t have metabolic disorder (advanced stages of high blood pressure, diabetes, fatty liver, etc. or all rolled into one). Based on his weight, he definitely is insulin resistant - that’s for sure. But I suspect, based on pictures from the past, that he became so only a year to several years ago. Insulin resistance does turn into metabolic disorder when excessive glucose intake persists for years - maybe even a decade. Had Trump caught covid five to ten years from now while sustaining his current diet, most likely he would’ve died.

So yes. I’d open up everything at 100% capacity and give people the option of staying home And/or wearing a mask.

Last edited by stormgal; 10-24-2020 at 09:23 PM..

Old 10-24-2020, 10:07 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,723,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Well, if obese Trump was able to beat the virus, then that means it’s not as deadly for as many people as many think it is. My 77 year old aunt caught it and recovered fully. I visit her home every week, since she lives with my mom and guess what? We’re not dead.

Obese people like Trump may be fat but most likely he doesn’t have metabolic disorder (advanced stages of high blood pressure, diabetes, fatty liver, etc. or all rolled into one). Based on his weight, he definitely is insulin resistant - that’s for sure. But I suspect, based on pictures from the past, that he became so only a year to several years ago. Insulin resistance does turn into metabolic disorder when excessive glucose intake persists for years - maybe even a decade. Had Trump caught covid five to ten years from now while sustaining his current diet, most likely he would’ve died.

So yes. I’d open up everything at 100% capacity and give people the option of staying home And/or wearing a mask.
There were 85,000 confirmed coronavirus cases on Friday breaking the previous single-day record set in July,
compared to some 75,600 on July 16 during the second case peak.
The recent numbers show a 34% spike in cases over the last 14 days, certainly indicate we’re now in the middle of a third COVID-19 peak — and possibly on the path to the highest mark yet.
Deaths are starting to climb as well. After being relatively flat last week, people who die don't die immediately there's an 8% increase in COVID fatalities in the 14-day average.

So looking at the fact that New York has the various restrictions and thresholds, now they allow 25% capacity at restaurants.
So if cases stay down they may go to 50% or if they go up they may allow only 10%. You see what happened in the 9 Brooklyn neighborhoods, cases went up, they imposed restrictions now they are going down last I heard. So we can see they establish certain thresholds of case numbers and use that to decide how to proceed to what extent they will open more or close more but you say just open everything, bars, restaurant, theaters, open everything full capacity. So Suppose COVID-19 cases continue through the winter and then go down in June. How more deaths do you think it will cause, just take a wild guess on percentage increase if we were to just open everything full capacity now as compared to the system in place now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City