Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2020, 01:17 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,765,592 times

Advertisements

I thought they (De Blasio & friends) gave this up as a lost cause. It's rearing it's ugly head again?

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs...sts_po-organic

Protesters nearly came to blows Fridays as about a dozen people who oppose the admissions test for the city's elite public high schools marched in on more than 100 people who support the high-stakes exam.

There was some pushing and shoving, but eventually the larger rally resumed.

The mayor and schools chancellor have not scheduled the exam for admission to eight elite high schools, including Stuyvesant, Bronx Science, and Brooklyn Tech

COVID-19 caused the city to cancel the original dates, which were for the weekend of November 7

Supporters of the test worry the city is dragging its feet, fear failure to set dates for Gifted and Talented programs could be a prelude to doing away with the systems to get into these programs altogether

That's something opponents of the test hope for. They see the test as discriminatory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2020, 01:54 PM

37,135 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Heart could be in the right place, but getting rid of the SHSAT admissions is far from the most productive place to focus attentions and resources.

Old 10-24-2020, 06:32 PM

1,332 posts, read 1,989,631 times
I remember going to college years ago when they first started open admissions. It was a good idea, but not always practical.

In some classes the students that got in on open admissions could not keep up in class. They got discouraged and many simply did not complete ANY education..They did not get any degree. They dropped out - and that was sad. They were simply overwhelmed.

And quite frankly, all the laws in the land are not going to help everyone compete in the real world....Remember, we are a global economy, and many other countries/cultures are tough business people. And trade pays our bills...and the winners are the tough negotiators.

In all my years of working in businesses, I never saw the top people using calculators...they negotiated winning business (prices) from the top of their heads....Open admissions does not make miracles.

Old 10-25-2020, 08:46 AM

37,135 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
I remember going to college years ago when they first started open admissions. It was a good idea, but not always practical.

In some classes the students that got in on open admissions could not keep up in class. They got discouraged and many simply did not complete ANY education..They did not get any degree. They dropped out - and that was sad. They were simply overwhelmed.

And quite frankly, all the laws in the land are not going to help everyone compete in the real world....Remember, we are a global economy, and many other countries/cultures are tough business people. And trade pays our bills...and the winners are the tough negotiators.

In all my years of working in businesses, I never saw the top people using calculators...they negotiated winning business (prices) from the top of their heads....Open admissions does not make miracles.
Well, the proposed reforms isn't open admissions and this is four years and quite a bit of developmental processes before college, so I don't actually think this would actually be disastrous in the scale that its more vehement detractors say. However, it's also a very contentious issue that takes up a lot of time, resources, and attention for what would probably be pretty muted overall improvements at best, so it's sort of a ridiculous thing to put so much attention towards. Instead, increasing the number of seats at good high schools or improving the baseline for high schools in general with pretty straightforward actionable needs would make a lot more sense and isn't such an uphill battle. Moreover, it's really the city's middle schools that need the most work I think.

Old 10-25-2020, 09:49 AM

2,315 posts, read 1,151,141 times
Power to The Stupid!

The SHSAT doesn't know the race or income of the test-taker. The NYC specialized high schools are among the best in the entire country. This is another case of anti-Asian 'woke' protestors.

Old 10-25-2020, 10:36 AM

360 posts, read 167,405 times
Agreed. More anti-Asian wokeness. The only non-Asian NYC politician to support the tests has been Jumaane Williams who himself took the tests and graduated from Brooklyn Tech.

It's not like taking test makes you magically smart. Just study. In fact Asians have it harder on the verbal component b/c many lack the native English skills growing up. I know I did.

Old 10-25-2020, 12:14 PM

2,315 posts, read 1,151,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingofconn View Post
Agreed. More anti-Asian wokeness. The only non-Asian NYC politician to support the tests has been Jumaane Williams who himself took the tests and graduated from Brooklyn Tech.

It's not like taking test makes you magically smart. Just study. In fact Asians have it harder on the verbal component b/c many lack the native English skills growing up. I know I did.

The test is the fairest way to select students for the specialized high schools. What the progressives really want is to eliminate all the NYC specialized high schools or dumb them down. If the specialized schools are ever eliminated more middle-class families will leave the city for the suburban towns and their superior schools, which would make the progressives jump for joy. The ultimate progressive goal is to force the middle-class out of NYC. Middle-Class voters demand safe streets and good schools, items which screw up the 'woke' agenda of the left. I'm glad to see Asian-Americans being a little forceful in defending their legitimate concerns. (BTW, Asian-American voters in NYC are flocking to Trump and the republican party.)

Quote:
...many lack the native English skills growing up. I know I did...

I'm curious, did you find English hard to learn?

Old 10-25-2020, 02:22 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,939,379 times
Quote from article:

"The group Teens Take Charge organized the protest against the tests. Mostly teenagers, they came early to set up, fed up with a system they see as discriminatory, with Black and Brown students underrepresented at the specialized schools."

Wait so its Asian parents that work in restaurants vs, Brown, and Black teens from the projects? Oh man, this is better than UFC. We have machetes vs chinese cleavers

First we had Antifa vs Jews in Times Square. Who won? I hope the vids are up on World Star. I wish they make an announcement before, so I can make plans and watch.

Old 10-25-2020, 04:36 PM

360 posts, read 167,405 times
I am Asian. The younger generation is overwhelmingly leftist. Especially if they come from the Left Coast (Eg California, Oregon, Washington) and New York/Massachusetts.

That was not always the case. Older members voted overwhelmingly Republican b/c of anti-Communism attitudes held by the GOP. They also support law and order as many are owners of small businesses like restaurants and dry cleaners. It is like the GOP and Miami Cubans to give an analogy.

The secret is there are after school community tutoring programs that are race blind - and are free - open to any student. Blacks and Hispanics are underrepresented in the specialized high schools for a number of reasons - culture is partly to play and also lack of proper parental role models.

Poverty is NOT an excuse IMHO. B/c many Asians are just as poor if not more so than Blacks or Hispanics. My parents worked in a garment factory and restaurant. I had to deliver food and wait tables growing up. My neighbors were picking soda cans and beer bottles out of garbage cans for recycling money.

Oh and to answer another poster's question. I learned English from reading comic books.

Old 10-25-2020, 05:07 PM

1,332 posts, read 1,989,631 times
Default In the classroom it could get awkward..

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Well, the proposed reforms isn't open admissions and this is four years and quite a bit of developmental processes before college, so I don't actually think this would actually be disastrous in the scale that its more vehement detractors say. However, it's also a very contentious issue that takes up a lot of time, resources, and attention for what would probably be pretty muted overall improvements at best, so it's sort of a ridiculous thing to put so much attention towards. Instead, increasing the number of seats at good high schools or improving the baseline for high schools in general with pretty straightforward actionable needs would make a lot more sense and isn't such an uphill battle. Moreover, it's really the city's middle schools that need the most work I think.
I remember sitting in the classroom with the open admissions students. It got awkward - they could not always follow what was going on. Often the instructors had to stop and explain things that most of the other students just simply knew.

it is a nice thought that placing someone that may have had disadvantages with better students will eventually improve things...But with higher level challenges, it really begins to hold back the better students. Then no one wins, as animosity grows from both sides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: