Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 10:45 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,873,403 times

Advertisements

Queensbridge was pretty wild back in the late 80's but has been cleaned up quite a bit over the last 20 years. Head over to the Marcus Garvey Houses (10 Amboy St) or the Van Dyke, Tilden & Brownsville Developments (like 8 square blocks of hell).

How about the Noble Ali Drew houses on New Lots... not sure what is like today but that place was a hell hole.

Damn.... sorry. Didn't mean to hijack the thread. The memories got the better of me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 11:42 AM

34,015 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baylovers View Post
Queensbridge was pretty wild back in the late 80's but has been cleaned up quite a bit over the last 20 years. Head over to the Marcus Garvey Houses (10 Amboy St) or the Van Dyke, Tilden & Brownsville Developments (like 8 square blocks of hell).

How about the Noble Ali Drew houses on New Lots... not sure what is like today but that place was a hell hole.

Damn.... sorry. Didn't mean to hijack the thread. The memories got the better of me.
well i dont know if you heard, but mo vaughn the former met bought noble ali drew like 2 yrs ago...but i havent drove by there in a long time so i havent seen if they started cleaning that place up yet....but anytime i drove down mother gaston past that place there would always be at least 20 dudes standing around, i wouldnt be caught dead in those buildings, and they're not even NYCHA. go figure.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-22-2008, 11:56 PM

Mo Vaugh, huh? Well, maybe it'll get cleaned up. The last time I was inside was about 3 years ago.... dreaded place. The building is designed like a fortress...That center courtyard was treacherous. The local precinct cops would not drive into it after an incident several years ago when the mopes locked the gate behind them & torched the police car while they were inside. Remember when they had the Nation of Islam performing security there?

Old 06-23-2008, 03:09 PM

6 posts, read 27,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
not much rockaway people on this forum....me and baylovers are active rockaway people posting on here. any others?
Got one more here!!!!! I just bought a home in Bayswater and no matter what ANYBODDDDDY say about Far Rock; I am very happy here. I could have stayed in Brooklyn, but the type of house I wanted, I would have never found it in my price range in Brooklyn. Brooklyn has become soooo congested, just like the city; and everyone and thier mother is flocking there by the minute. No matter what anyone says, Far Rock is a hidden jewel that will attract alot of attention the minute people discover the hidden potential of it.

Old 06-23-2008, 06:28 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
And not in the least because the real estateniks who change neighborhood names to suit their needs have begun to refer to the part of Far Rockaway closest to the city line as West Lawrence!

Old 06-23-2008, 09:48 PM

Fred, congratulations. I hope you find everything you want in Bayswater. Personally, aside from some great sunsets & few big, historic houses, I don't think I could live there. I have kids & I couldn't raise a family there. I would just feel surrounded & out of place. It may be an oasis, but oasis' are still surrounded by barren desert.

Although it is not very active, you may find some interesting history in this Yahoo Group:
Rockaway5THistory : Rockaway-Five Towns History Forum

Old 06-24-2008, 05:43 AM

34,015 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
And not in the least because the real estateniks who change neighborhood names to suit their needs have begun to refer to the part of Far Rockaway closest to the city line as West Lawrence!
oh thats been in loose dialogue for years. that area is the predominantly jewish area centered around empire avenue.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-07-2008, 06:16 AM

289 posts, read 745,933 times
Where are all the rockaway people past and present ,let's hear from you.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:30 PM

10 posts, read 37,122 times
Far Rockaway is NOT a safe place to live. I lived there for 30 years and last year I moved to Rockaway Park. WHAT A DIFFERENCE. As a white kid going to 53 and Beach Channel I was constantly taunted and jumped on a daily basis (their explanation was because I am white) My mom still lives in the projects (on section 8 might I add) and has lived there since the 60's.
She does not have the means to move but I do not feel safe with her even walking her dog around the building!
The sad part is that it really could be a beautiful place to live. I love the beach (i basically grew up on it) and yet I do not feel safe walking on the boardwalk past sundown.
They have built beautiful coops and condo buildings and are trying to get rockaway back to a better standard of living but is that really possible?? My husband worked on those buildings and each apartment is beautiful but I would never consider living next to Hammils!
And also Far Rockaway HS was closed because of the crime and violence that occured on a daily basis. The sad part is that there are kids like me that just wanted to go to school and get an education and it has to be taken away due to people that cannot control themselves.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:39 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,982,826 times
While I definitely I agree with your last sentence.. it's okay, because NYC's high school system allows you to go basically anywhere you want, so it's not like they're being completely deprived of an education.. they can still go somewhere else, maybe somewhere better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City