Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 05:07 PM

34,076 posts, read 47,260,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhcgirly View Post
Far Rockaway is NOT a safe place to live. I lived there for 30 years and last year I moved to Rockaway Park. WHAT A DIFFERENCE. As a white kid going to 53 and Beach Channel I was constantly taunted and jumped on a daily basis (their explanation was because I am white) My mom still lives in the projects (on section 8 might I add) and has lived there since the 60's.
She does not have the means to move but I do not feel safe with her even walking her dog around the building!
The sad part is that it really could be a beautiful place to live. I love the beach (i basically grew up on it) and yet I do not feel safe walking on the boardwalk past sundown.
They have built beautiful coops and condo buildings and are trying to get rockaway back to a better standard of living but is that really possible?? My husband worked on those buildings and each apartment is beautiful but I would never consider living next to Hammils!
And also Far Rockaway HS was closed because of the crime and violence that occured on a daily basis. The sad part is that there are kids like me that just wanted to go to school and get an education and it has to be taken away due to people that cannot control themselves.
wow sorry to hear you experience out here was so bad...i've lived here for almost 27 years and did not encounter the violence that you did...in the end, to each their own, because i'm buying a house out here, and i'm not leaving.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 06:12 AM

289 posts, read 746,009 times
Default Just a thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
wow sorry to hear you experience out here was so bad...i've lived here for almost 27 years and did not encounter the violence that you did...in the end, to each their own, because i'm buying a house out here, and i'm not leaving.
SORRY TO HEAR YOU HAD IT ROUGH ON THE ROCK ,HAVE YOU LOOKED FOR ANOTHER PLACE FOR YOUR MOTHER TO MOVE TO ,MAYBE YOU COULD BUY A 2 FAMILY HOUSE AND HAVE YOUR MOTHER MOVE INTO THE OTHER APT. I MOVED MY MOTHER WITH MYSELF AND MY FAMILY WE ALL HAVE PEACE OF MIND AND MY MOTHER STILL HAS HER OWN APT. IN OUR 2 FAMILY HOME .

Old 08-19-2008, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RETIRED SANMAN View Post
SORRY TO HEAR YOU HAD IT ROUGH ON THE ROCK ,HAVE YOU LOOKED FOR ANOTHER PLACE FOR YOUR MOTHER TO MOVE TO ,MAYBE YOU COULD BUY A 2 FAMILY HOUSE AND HAVE YOUR MOTHER MOVE INTO THE OTHER APT. I MOVED MY MOTHER WITH MYSELF AND MY FAMILY WE ALL HAVE PEACE OF MIND AND MY MOTHER STILL HAS HER OWN APT. IN OUR 2 FAMILY HOME .

Old 08-20-2008, 06:22 PM

This thread is dead ,to the people in charge i don't know the rule's but you can delete it retired sanman. Thank you

Old 08-20-2008, 06:25 PM

This thread is dead ,to the people in charge i don't know the rule's but you can delete it retired sanman. Thank you

Old 08-29-2008, 03:28 PM

19 posts, read 47,235 times
Native of Farrockaway. My cousin is the only one of all my family that still lives in Farrockaway. Right off the beach. They are slowly but surely rebuilding the Rockaways. There are a lot of eye sores that. Like getting off of the A train at Mott Ave and seeing that shopping center across the street. Where are the bombs when you need them? I would love to run for office and take control of Rockaway Beach and restore it to where it use to be. Beach front bunalows, vendors on the board walk, clean sand, lifeguard houses. There is money to be made for anyone who wish to reinvent the Rock.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:20 PM

Default The good old day's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn_ View Post
Native of Farrockaway. My cousin is the only one of all my family that still lives in Farrockaway. Right off the beach. They are slowly but surely rebuilding the Rockaways. There are a lot of eye sores that. Like getting off of the A train at Mott Ave and seeing that shopping center across the street. Where are the bombs when you need them? I would love to run for office and take control of Rockaway Beach and restore it to where it use to be. Beach front bunalows, vendors on the board walk, clean sand, lifeguard houses. There is money to be made for anyone who wish to reinvent the Rock.
WHERE HAVE ALL THE ROCKAWAY PEOPLE GONE ?

Old 10-16-2008, 07:18 PM

212 posts, read 699,682 times
does this thing work yet?

Old 10-16-2008, 07:28 PM

212 posts, read 699,682 times
hey retired sanman.i grew up in early 60's on 54th st.we used to ride our bikes down "dump road" and wait for the dogs to see us.then boogie as they barkrd and chased us.we also knew when the santrucks would be coming back.we "rat patroled" it on elbows and knees to get next to the enemy supply line.we would pick up "dirt bombs" and pretend to pull the pin(on our grenades)and lob them to hit the santrucks.being older than 7 now, i realize the sanmen knew we were there.it was one memory i thought to share. hahaha

Old 10-17-2008, 06:40 PM

[quote=sandinmyshoes;5724899]hey retired sanman.i grew up in early 60's on 54th st.we used to ride our bikes down "dump road" and wait for the dogs to see us.then boogie as they barkrd and chased us.we also knew when the santrucks would be coming back.we "rat patroled" it on elbows and knees to get next to the enemy supply line.we would pick up "dirt bombs" and pretend to pull the pin(on our grenades)and lob them to hit the santrucks.being older than 7 now, i realize the sanmen knew we were there.it was one memory i thought to share. hahaha[/quote

DID WE KNOW EACH OTHER ? "LMAO", DID YOU DIG UNDERGROUND FORT'S WE ALSO BLOCKED THE DUMP ROAD WITH ANY JUNK WE COULD FIND AND WATCH THE SPEEDING TRUCK'S JAM ON THERE BRAKE'S STUPID THING'S KID'S DO, I LIVED ON 51 st STREET.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City