Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2020, 06:32 PM

31,625 posts, read 26,458,929 times

Advertisements

Piece on Gothamist telling how people are surviving after covid pandemic has caused them to become busted, broke or darn near. Others are just taking things day by day doing whatever hustle they can to survive.

https://gothamist.com/news/covid-19-...andemic-grinds

This goes a long way in explaining why so much retail is closing. Wealthy have largely fled or otherwise aren't spending much time in city. Tourism is nil to nothing, and many inhabitants just don't have lots of free cash. More so since they've spent down that stimulus check, and extra $600 or $300 in extra UI. Those that still have any of that money left have to budget carefully because it seems highly unlikely anything else is coming before year's end.

Last edited by BugsyPal; 10-27-2020 at 06:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2020, 07:17 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,048,876 times
Its very bad and scary. The money is going quick for many. Unemployment and crime are up. Some people made the mistake of riding on that money not seeking work at all, hoping to be recalled to thier jobs. I have former coworkers at my old job still waiting to be recalled over 7 months later. Its not happening for many workers after that much time.

The future looks very bleak. I find a lot of people sugar coat it but I think we have a lot more turbulant waters ahead to wade through.

Old 10-27-2020, 08:17 PM

Have never seen so many people digging through grocery store bags in my life. This coming from someone who has witnessed a deluge of people dumpster diving for years.

There is one colored woman who assumed either lived somewhere adjacent to UES or maybe took train or bus up here to dumpster dive. See her in front of all major supermarkets up here... Yesterday walking down Third there she was parking her car in front of Gristedes on Third. She got out with some plastic shopping bags and a granny cart then proceeded to start "shopping" by going through trash bags. She had company as two more people arrived soon afterwards.

Citarella actually stopped throwing out all but totally expired or whatever stuff because it was becoming a free for all outside every evening over their trash. Fights were actually breaking out over trash.

IMHO you're going to see more of this and other drastic measures as weeks go on.

Unemployment is starting to end for those who have exhausted all possible benefits, and that $600 or $300 is gone and not coming back anytime soon if ever. People who are busted or near are likely focusing on keeping a roof over their heads, and if homeowners utilities paid so they have lights and heat/hot water.

Old 10-27-2020, 08:32 PM

1,486 posts, read 973,759 times
Quote:
It’s feast or famine and you just have to be super comfortable with that reality right now,” said Priscilla Grim, a 46-year-old digital strategist who’d made about $70,000 a year before she was laid off at the start of the pandemic. She’s raising a 17-year-old daughter in Flatbush, Brooklyn, and had to start selling off her jewelry she inherited from her mother to make ends meet.
I cannot understand how someone can go from making about 70K a year to selling jewelry to make ends meet, but after reading the jewelry part I'm starting to wonder what other luxury items she brought instead of putting money away for when **** hits the fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Have never seen so many people digging through grocery store bags in my life. This coming from someone who has witnessed a deluge of people dumpster diving for years.

There is one colored woman who assumed either lived somewhere adjacent to UES or maybe took train or bus up here to dumpster dive. See her in front of all major supermarkets up here... Yesterday walking down Third there she was parking her car in front of Gristedes on Third. She got out with some plastic shopping bags and a granny cart then proceeded to start "shopping" by going through trash bags. She had company as two more people arrived soon afterwards.

Citarella actually stopped throwing out all but totally expired or whatever stuff because it was becoming a free for all outside every evening over their trash. Fights were actually breaking out over trash.

IMHO you're going to see more of this and other drastic measures as weeks go on.

Unemployment is starting to end for those who have exhausted all possible benefits, and that $600 or $300 is gone and not coming back anytime soon if ever. People who are busted or near are likely focusing on keeping a roof over their heads, and if homeowners utilities paid so they have lights and heat/hot water.
So she drives a car but dumpster dives for food? WOW!
This is making me not wanting to go to anyone's home for any kind of "dinner invite get together" any time soon.

Last edited by SoullessOne; 10-27-2020 at 08:44 PM..

Old 10-27-2020, 08:41 PM

33,389 posts, read 46,804,398 times
What kind of car?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-27-2020, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
I cannot understand how someone can go from making about 70K a year to selling jewelry to make ends meet, but after reading the jewelry part I'm starting to wonder what other luxury items she brought instead of putting money away for when **** hits the fan.

This is making me not wanting to go to anyone's home for any kind of dinner invite get together any time soon.
Myself and others have seen all sorts of rides rolling up to dig in supermarket trash. Audi, BMW, Mercedes, right on down to Honda or Toyota.

Walking north on Third one evening last year got to corner of 89th and some woman had parked her late model Audi SUV blocking the crosswalk while she got out and was digging through trash bags from Milano Market.

That corner (in fact block going west to Lexington) has a huge rat problem, and indeed every night thanks to Milano market's trash the critters have plenty to eat. You can hear and see some pretty large rats...

But hey, if that woman wanted to compete with rodents for food, let her......

Old 10-27-2020, 08:55 PM

36,920 posts, read 38,838,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post

This is making me not wanting to go to anyone's home for any kind of "dinner invite get together" any time soon.
She might also live in her car. Supposedly that's becoming increasingly common as the largest expense people have is generally housing and the second largest is transportation, but if you live in your transportation, well, then you're always home.

Prius's are supposedly especially good for relatively cheap used car. Fairly spacious hatchback design, but with small exterior dimensions for parking. Very fuel efficient and reliable and some of them are plugin hybrids.

Old 10-27-2020, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
What kind of car?
Some scashabong, think it was a Honda from 1990's or maybe early 2000's.

Old 10-27-2020, 09:07 PM

33,389 posts, read 46,804,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Some scashabong, think it was a Honda from 1990's or maybe early 2000's.
Scashabong? Lol.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-27-2020, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
She might also live in her car. Supposedly that's becoming increasingly common as the largest expense people have is generally housing and the second largest is transportation, but if you live in your transportation, well, then you're always home.

Prius's are supposedly especially good for relatively cheap used car. Fairly spacious hatchback design, but with small exterior dimensions for parking. Very fuel efficient and reliable and some of them are plugin hybrids.
Nah, I've seen rides where people are living; there were several scattered around Yorkville in aftermath of 2008 recession. Looking in windows you'd see back seat area and sometimes passenger piled with tons of stuff, and one person sleeping away in drivers seat.

This person's ride was empty other than plastic shopping bags filled with "groceries" from what one could see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City