Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2020, 03:56 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,718,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post

Crime is a matter of mentality, not a matter of poverty. The great majority of poor people, in the US or always and everywhere, are/were not criminal. A culture that glamorizes crime, and actual criminality itself, have always gone hand in hand everywhere, independent of any poverty.

Quote:
Singapore shows, absence of crime does nor reduce the number of jobs in law enforcement - Singapore has practically no crime, but has a huge police force, to assure that the no-crime situation remains as it is.
make up your mind
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2020, 03:59 PM

8,373 posts, read 4,391,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
You came to this country in a different time period when things were easier and less expensive. You can't keep comparing your situations to now. Its apples to oranges.

Nothing was easier for a grad student from my former country in the US in 1983 (tail end of Cold War), and things were just as expensive as they are today relative to the income. I lived on a stipend of $560 per month when a regular rent for a studio in Upstate NY (where I studied and therefore lived) was $300 per month, a studio co-op in Manhattan cost $100k to buy, and the cost of renting a studio apartment in Manhattan was about $700 per month. Renting a studio in Manhattan would have been above my income, buying it would have been nowhere in sight, and I initially rented a $150 per month cold-water storage shed on a roof of a building, because renting a real apartment even Upstate would have eaten up more than half of my monthly stipend. Yeah, I didn't have kids because that was not only NOT "much easier" in 1983, but financially impossible for me (since I was paid only for contributing where the US could use my contribution, not for having kids that I would have been unable to support).

Last edited by elnrgby; 10-28-2020 at 04:42 PM..

Old 10-28-2020, 04:00 PM

In Singapore same-sex sexual activity is illegal (even if consensual and committed in private)

Other illegal things in Singapore:

https://www.businessinsider.com/thin...ngapore-2015-7

Old 10-28-2020, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
make up your mind

What do you mean? My statements that you posted do not contradict each other. Crime is a result of culture that permits and even glorifies crime, ie, of criminal mentality (everywhere). But crime can be exterminated with intensive law enforcement and punishment for crime (as shown in Singapore). Singapore no longer has crime to speak of due to severe anti-crime measures, but retains a very large police force to prevent crime from increasing. Nothing in these statements is mutually contradictory.

Old 10-28-2020, 04:11 PM

Quote:
this is hideous

It is not hideous, it is logical. I am not advocating to prohibit reproducing among the poor, they can do whatever they want, and live with the consequences. But if a poor person does not reproduce (like myself), that person stands a chance of having a much better life herself, and will not give rise to the next generation of poverty. If nobody gave rise to the next generation of poverty, there would be no poverty in the next generation - again, not hideous, but a self-evident fact.

Old 10-28-2020, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I agree. Bring back manufacturing jobs to NYC, and bring back the vocational training that they took away from NYC public schools, because not everyone is destined to graduate or has the aptitude to attain a college degree, or they're simply not interested. High school doesn't even offer home economics classes anymore. Technically I think the curriculum needs a revamping anyway, it doesn't suit modern needs. Coding classes are relatively new. I don't know if all schools offer it, but my son took a coding class last year.

I agree with greatly increasing the volume of vocational training in NYC and everywhere. I would expect all high schools to offer coding classes by now, but I wouldn't know if they do, I don't have kids.

Old 10-28-2020, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Singapore maintains a full welfare state. Universal healthcare, public housing and most people actually receive some form of subsidy or disbursement from the government. The poorest segments of society receive a lot of government support, including rental flats priced at $30/month.

The "welfare state" in Singapore is maintained by selling leaseholds to people who buy them from the government, and taxes that everyone pays from employment which is essentially universal. Government support = support from the sale of long leases by the government + taxes (like everywhere else, Singapore does not create money out of nowhere). A welfare handout is extraordinarily difficult to get in Singapore. People who are out of work have to participate in community groups with employment guidance, and they are placed into some form of job (rather than being paid for having kids). Everyone who works at all has to participate in compulsory saving plans, where they have to save a large % of income, and draw first on their savings account for healthcare, retirement, or any other needs. They get taxpayer help only when they exhaust their own savings. The proclaimed, and practiced, approach to life in Singapore is self-reliance. It is the exact opposite of welfare state.

Old 10-28-2020, 04:34 PM

Quote:
In Singapore same-sex sexual activity is illegal (even if consensual and committed in private)

Other illegal things in Singapore:

https://www.businessinsider.com/thin...ngapore-2015-7

With the exception of prohibition of same-sex sexual activity, illegality of all other things listed in that link is justifiable, and contributes to better quality of life. I am not advocating Singapore approach to homosexuality, but Singapore approach to crime.

Old 10-28-2020, 04:42 PM

5,679 posts, read 2,612,281 times
Quote:
Nothing was easier for a grad student from my former country in the US in 1983 (tail end of Cold War), and things were just as expensive as they are today relative to the income. I lived on a stipend of $560 per month when a regular rent for a studio in Upstate NY (where I studied and therefore lived) was $300 per month, a studio co-op in NYC cost $100k to buy, and the cost of renting a studio apartment in Manhattan was about $700 per month. Renting a studio in Manhattan would have been above my income, buying it would have been nowhere in sight, and I initially rented a $150 per month cold-water storage shed on a roof of a building, because renting a real apartment even Upstate would have eaten up more than half of my monthly stipend. Yeah, I didn't have kids because that was not only NOT "much easier" in 1983, but financially impossible for me (since I was paid only for contributing where the US could use my contribution, not for having kids I would have been unable to support).
You are truly out of reality. Do you know how many working class people spend more than 50% of their income on rent. I know people who spend like 70%.
In 1983 a studio in Manhattan could be found for way less than $700 a month. Perhaps the ones you looked at were that much but cost of living was much cheaper than that for a basic studio.

Old 10-28-2020, 04:45 PM

Quote:
crime can be exterminated with intensive law enforcement and punishment
Even Giuliani would not use that word
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City