Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2020, 06:05 AM

494 posts, read 557,866 times

Advertisements

I'm in NY, I have a job in NYC HR/Accounting and it is stable but I hate it. COVID drilled it into me when I was less stressed on furlough during COVID, than I was before COVID making money. I was thinking HR or something related to non-profit/ social services. I don't need to make much just around 60k.

If I were in a different city I wouldn't think of changing a stable job and income now. HOWEVER being in NYC I thought maybe the job market would be a little easier to navigate . I think the impact COVID had on NYC is more substantial than anywhere else. With the total shut down, the people on Furlough who couldn't afford to stay here even with the additional unemployment having to move out of the city. I feel like more people are moving out of the city, not into the city. I also feel like a lot of people are still getting unemployment and afraid of COVID so they are not in a hurry or even looking for a job now, as they don't have to until March when unemployment runs out. And a lot of the students who thought they were going to find a job and stay in the city went home and didn't enter the NYC workforce. And yes I know a lot of businesses are closing so I know I have to take that into consideration.

Is my reasoning crazy? Is this an opportunity or just crazy to make a change now? Thoughts, Ideas , Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2020, 06:33 AM

1,399 posts, read 891,861 times
This is a once in a lifetime event the globe is going through. Normally I'd tell you to swing for the fences but I'd play it safe considering the worst is yet to come. Second lockdowns are around the corner. How obedient will the sheep be this time around? Less so, but still very. Our unemployment is above average. Dont make moves without having something more secure lined up.

Old 10-29-2020, 06:59 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,848,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyrical View Post
I'm in NY, I have a job in NYC HR/Accounting and it is stable but I hate it. COVID drilled it into me when I was less stressed on furlough during COVID, than I was before COVID making money. I was thinking HR or something related to non-profit/ social services. I don't need to make much just around 60k.

If I were in a different city I wouldn't think of changing a stable job and income now. HOWEVER being in NYC I thought maybe the job market would be a little easier to navigate . I think the impact COVID had on NYC is more substantial than anywhere else. With the total shut down, the people on Furlough who couldn't afford to stay here even with the additional unemployment having to move out of the city. I feel like more people are moving out of the city, not into the city. I also feel like a lot of people are still getting unemployment and afraid of COVID so they are not in a hurry or even looking for a job now, as they don't have to until March when unemployment runs out. And a lot of the students who thought they were going to find a job and stay in the city went home and didn't enter the NYC workforce. And yes I know a lot of businesses are closing so I know I have to take that into consideration.

Is my reasoning crazy? Is this an opportunity or just crazy to make a change now? Thoughts, Ideas , Suggestions?

Get some Blue collar training.
When all else fails......peoples homes
are the last frontiers where you can make a buck.................

Old 10-29-2020, 04:02 PM

494 posts, read 557,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llol45519 View Post
This is a once in a lifetime event the globe is going through. Normally I'd tell you to swing for the fences but I'd play it safe considering the worst is yet to come. Second lockdowns are around the corner. How obedient will the sheep be this time around? Less so, but still very. Our unemployment is above average. Dont make moves without having something more secure lined up.

Yes, I get it. It isn't only about finding a job but one where the company is secure and won't go out of business in a year. However I don't think there will be another lockdown unless hospitals are at capacity again. I don't think the city could afford another month or 6 of a lockdown and I don't think New Yorkers would stay inside again.

Old 10-29-2020, 04:37 PM

1,399 posts, read 891,861 times
Theres is 100% chance of more lockdowns. The democrats are destroying the economy to make trump look bad and he's definitely getting reelected.

Old 10-29-2020, 05:18 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,885,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Get some Blue collar training.
When all else fails......peoples homes
are the last frontiers where you can make a buck.................
Unrealistic.

It would take 10 years to get to any decent level in a trade to have a similar level of job security and income.

Plus Blue Collar is a young man's game. If OPs knees are busted he won't be able to do any sort of trade.

Old 10-29-2020, 05:21 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,885,749 times
Quote:
Yes, I get it. It isn't only about finding a job but one where the company is secure and won't go out of business in a year. However I don't think there will be another lockdown unless hospitals are at capacity again. I don't think the city could afford another month or 6 of a lockdown and I don't think New Yorkers would stay inside again.
There won't be further lockdowns.

The main risk now is insolvency and layoffs.

Both HR and Accounting is vulnerable somewhat. You need to parlay into a Diversity and Inclusion career which is the buzz right now for maximum job security.

Old 10-29-2020, 05:24 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,238,298 times
What job market?

Old 10-29-2020, 06:00 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
There won't be further lockdowns.

The main risk now is insolvency and layoffs.

Both HR and Accounting is vulnerable somewhat. You need to parlay into a Diversity and Inclusion career which is the buzz right now for maximum job security.
I wouldn’t bet that NYC doesn’t have another lockdown. All it needs is for a minor increase and Emperor Cuomo will get back on the phased approach.

Old 10-29-2020, 06:11 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
Quote:

Your reasoning isn't crazy. What's crazy is the idea that anyone knows what is going to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City