Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2020, 03:59 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,758,292 times

Advertisements

despite slight price drops. NYC is still expensive. It ain't a bargain yet.

https://www.amny.com/news/nyc-rental...zumper-report/

Despite recent price drops in rent, New York City remains one of the highest rent markets in the country.
New York City ranked second in the nation with the highest rental market, behind San Francisco which is first.

https://www.zumper.com/blog/rental-price-data/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2020, 08:48 PM

394 posts, read 568,695 times
to be honest, I dont think NYC will ever drop to bargain rates yet

Old 10-30-2020, 04:50 AM

43,610 posts, read 44,341,041 times
NYC and San Francisco have always had high rents and high cost of living. No pandemic is going to change that!

Old 10-30-2020, 06:08 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,755,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
NYC and San Francisco have always had high rents and high cost of living. No pandemic is going to change that!
My cousin lives in San Fran. When he visited, he noted the rents are cheaper. But he also noted, unlike San Fran that everything else is expensive which makes NYC more expensive as a whole.

Old 10-30-2020, 08:02 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,828,406 times
Response: Opinion

As long as New York City provides high scale JOBS and a short commute to get to those jobs you
can bet your bottom dollar that you will pay for those accommodations. Now if the only type of employment
that New York City can pull out of its' hat is Dishwasher you can also bet prices will drop exponentially.

Landlords will then be forced to drop their asking price while at the same time Landlords will be taking
up measures with their local leaders to have property taxes dropped... I see nothing but a mess unless
high stake jobs start taking roost in the city.

I have said it plenty of times in early posts. New York is operating as one big PONZI scheme.
You have to keep feeding the top Land owners by introducing high revenue corporations like
Google, Apple....( you get the picture ) to cover costs and profit for Big building owners while supplying
jobs at the same time to the masses on the lower part of the PONZI triangle that will pay for the Lower
Level Landlords to profit and pay their property taxes to the City and State Governments which in turn
uses ( supposed to use ) this flow to the non contributing members of Society at the very bottom of the
triangle. Those at the bottom of the triangle struggle to move their way up to eventually becoming contributing
members ( we hope ) which keeps the Scheme alive.

The introduction of Covid stops the PONZI dead in its
tracks. No money flow. Everyone knows the easiest
way to kill a PONZI scheme is to stop paying into it.
This is why the city is dying. This is why the city is
begging government for a handout and this is why
government wants no part of New York. There is
nothing in it for them anymore.

It is up to out Politicos to supply millions of high paying jobs
to the masses to pull the city out of this big economic disaster
about to unfold. We are only seeing small signs of bigger problems
yet to come.

Nuff said.

Old 10-30-2020, 08:09 AM

8,935 posts, read 4,758,292 times
Quote:
Yep. So those of you who are sticking around hoping for reduced rates, I hope you like NYC for other reasons because you're in for a long wait. And for those of you who have property, hold off on the panic selling unless you're selling for other reasons.

Old 10-30-2020, 08:59 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,680,578 times
It's possible if next year if the government is too slow with bailouts and stimulus. Most big landlords are being floated by stimulus right now. There are so many commercial vacancies that would put them in bankrupsy for sure but congress sent them millions while most Americans got only $2400 for 6 months.

Old 10-30-2020, 04:22 PM

16,028 posts, read 6,828,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
It's possible if next year if the government is too slow with bailouts and stimulus. Most big landlords are being floated by stimulus right now. There are so many commercial vacancies that would put them in bankrupsy for sure but congress sent them millions while most Americans got only $2400 for 6 months.

Response: Opinion

When the money stops the real problems begin............

Old 10-31-2020, 05:04 AM

43,610 posts, read 44,341,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
My cousin lives in San Fran. When he visited, he noted the rents are cheaper. But he also noted, unlike San Fran that everything else is expensive which makes NYC more expensive as a whole.
I lived for a short while in SF quite a few years back. At that time the cost of living index was higher in SF than in Manhattan.

Old 10-31-2020, 06:54 AM

8,330 posts, read 4,370,041 times
Quote:
I lived for a short while in SF quite a few years back. At that time the cost of living index was higher in SF than in Manhattan.

I am based in one allegedly somewhat less expensive city (Boston), and have pied a terres in a good part of SF and the cheapest part of NYC. Purchase cost of equivalent properties is actually the lowest in NYC (and now I am comparing with Manhattan, not the Bronx), and appreciates least in NYC, possibly because most properties in Manhattan are co-ops, ie, condos are rare - but maintaining a co-op in Manhattan is more expensive than maintaining a condo in SF, and substantially more expensive than maintaining a condo in the best part of Boston. I don't pay rent, but from what I catch while browsing around, rents in central Boston, Manhattan, and SF Peninsula are all comparable. Maintaining a condo in the best part of Boston costs 1/3 of maintaining it in a good part of SF, and 1/2 of maintaining it in the cheapest part of NYC. Cost of public transportation is least expensive in Boston, and substantially more expensive in both SF and NYC (and most expensive in NYC). Groceries in all three cities cost about the same. Eating out in all three cities costs about the same for equivalent restaurants. Entertainment costs the same, with wider range of entertainment normally found in NYC. SF has an excellent public library, Boston has the largest library system and in combination with Cambridge public library system matches or occasionally exceeds the quality of SF, while in NYC every time I tried to borrow a book so far, it turned out it was stolen, all copies of it, at all branches :-).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City