Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2020, 05:38 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,757,388 times

Advertisements

This is a pretty good article about Parkchester, where it's been and where it's going. It also discusses the architecture and has lots of pictures.

Parkchester 80 Years Later: A Brief History of a City Within a City

https://welcome2thebronx.com/2020/05...e20gF3hByKWDDI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2020, 11:07 PM

37,135 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Those little statues and medallions are cute.

I remember thinking about the theatre converted into a Marshall's and the large South Asian, mostly Bengali, population there and how thriving the South Asian movie industry is and whether or not it'd be financially viable to turn it back into a theater with a strong focus on South Asian films (luckily that never happened as this pandemic would have made it pretty rough going).

Old 11-14-2020, 02:45 AM

106,654 posts, read 108,790,719 times
i designed and sold to parkchester some of the duplex pump controllers for their giant boilers ..the heating plant at parkchester has some of the biggest boilers in the country

Old 11-14-2020, 05:59 AM

34,087 posts, read 47,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Those little statues and medallions are cute.

I remember thinking about the theatre converted into a Marshall's and the large South Asian, mostly Bengali, population there and how thriving the South Asian movie industry is and whether or not it'd be financially viable to turn it back into a theater with a strong focus on South Asian films (luckily that never happened as this pandemic would have made it pretty rough going).
what about Bollywood?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-14-2020, 06:39 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,386,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i designed and sold to parkchester some of the duplex pump controllers for their giant boilers ..the heating plant at parkchester has some of the biggest boilers in the country

The heating in Parkchester has been great in my experience . It is too bad about the old movie theater being converted into a Marshall's, but that has happened to the great majority of historic movie theaters in the US and worldwide (I mean, not necesarilly a conversion into a Marshall's, but into something unrelated to movies). Re other posts, the overwhelming majority of South Asians in Parkchester are Bangladeshis - and for your info, the Bollywood music and movies (which are produced in India, a different country) have been actually legally banned in Bangladesh :-). Not sure about reasons, whether it is something religious (Bangla are Moslems, Indians are mostly Hindu) or economic between the two countries, but Bollywood is not popular (or even legally importable) in Bangladesh.

Old 11-14-2020, 09:12 AM

37,135 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
what about Bollywood?
Bollywood would probably work. From what I've read, every time Bangladesh opens up to Indian movies, they end up taking over the theaters so much so that they get banned again and again so there's pretty good reason to believe that playing Bollywood movies alongside Dhallywood ones would work. They can also get real crazy and do South Korean movies which for some reason or other have made large inroads in Bangladesh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City