Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2020, 09:31 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
They might fire 9300 people

Fewer riders, for years to come, this is the logical thing to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2020, 09:50 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times
https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs...accine-arrives

MTA Says Ridership Won't Fully Rebound, Even After COVID-19 Vaccine Arrives

Robert Foran, the MTA's chief financial officer, said at Wednesday's agency board meeting. "We're going to have to match our service structure and service level to equal rider demand."

An MTA consultant projected ridership rebounding to 92% of pre-pandemic levels, if there's a successful vaccine

As many as 12% of pre-pandemic transit trips will be gone because of working from home

Low amount of tourism and switching modes of transportation will also contribute to declining trips

Old 11-19-2020, 09:56 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post

Robert Foran, the MTA's chief financial officer, said at Wednesday's agency board meeting. "We're going to have to match our service structure and service level to equal rider demand."

An MTA consultant projected ridership rebounding to 92% of pre-pandemic levels, if there's a successful vaccine

As many as 12% of pre-pandemic transit trips will be gone because of working from home

Low amount of tourism and switching modes of transportation will also contribute to declining trips
92% is luny. Many corps have found out they can function just fine with work from home. Why spend vast sums leasing or owning buildings, when you can get the same brainpower w/o needing massive buildings to keep up and pay for?

I'm in a Ct town where 10 months ago, we had tons going to GCT. I know many personally, and have bumped into some of the group who have already been told, there will be no mandate at any time to return to an office.

Consultants have a tendency to state what they think a client wishes to hear. 92% does not pass the "sniff test".

Old 11-19-2020, 10:00 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
"Da Union" ain't gonna go for dis"

Old 11-19-2020, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
92% is luny. Many corps have found out they can function just fine with work from home. Why spend vast sums leasing or owning buildings, when you can get the same brainpower w/o needing massive buildings to keep up and pay for?

I'm in a Ct town where 10 months ago, we had tons going to GCT. I know many personally, and have bumped into some of the group who have already been told, there will be no mandate at any time to return to an office.

Consultants have a tendency to state what they think a client wishes to hear. 92% does not pass the "sniff test".
I agree. 92% seems very optimistically high but who knows. I can't picture all companies/office workers okay with working from home. There are drawbacks and limitations to that. And it's not practical for some people. But I don't think it'll be 92% any time soon in the near future. Even with a vaccine out.

Old 11-20-2020, 08:27 AM

5,662 posts, read 2,602,511 times
Quote:

We actually need it to NOT rebound with passengers. Wasn't the MTA and city complaining just a year ago that there were too many riders. Overcrowding, delays, etc...

Old 11-20-2020, 09:23 AM

5,204 posts, read 4,666,583 times
The MTA has been resistant to improving efficiency because not only is it a monopoly, it's government subsidized. I suggest we allow some bus routes and train lines to be privatized. We should also reduce MTA leadership pay by the percentage of its system that's privatized. One, we will get to see how efficiently a privatized system is run. Two, it will incentivize the rest of the MTA to get their act together.

Old 11-20-2020, 09:30 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Fire 75% of the administrative staff, and 30% of the maintenance staff (the union guys that watch the others working)

Old 11-20-2020, 05:51 PM

MTA puts public hearings on schedule ahead of fare hike decisions

https://www.amny.com/news/mta-public...ike-decisions/

With possible fare hikes on the table for the cash-strapped MTA’s 2021 budget, the agency plans to hold a series of virtual hearings on the matter in order to address the financial crisis they are in due to COVID-19.

The public can sign up for these virtual hearings by following this link and dates are below:

https://new.mta.info/transparency/fares-and-tolls-2020

Tuesday, Dec. 1, at 5:30 p.m.
Thursday, Dec. 3, at 10 a.m.
Monday, Dec. 7, at 5:30 p.m.
Wednesday, Dec. 9, at 5:30 p.m.
Monday, Dec. 14, at 5:30 p.m.
Monday, Dec. 21, at 10 a.m.

Old 11-21-2020, 04:50 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post

Quote:
I agree. 92% seems very optimistically high but who knows. I can't picture all companies/office workers okay with working from home. There are drawbacks and limitations to that. And it's not practical for some people. But I don't think it'll be 92% any time soon in the near future. Even with a vaccine out.
In my office, we are at about 25% capacity, with different people choosing different options (some choose one day out of five, some choose one week out of four, a few report every day, etc). I think it works pretty well.

But in any case, I agree, 92% is way too high. Let's say in a couple of years, it goes up to 50% of office workers in the office on any given day (with the offices that require all 5 days to be in-person balanced out by the ones going 100% remote, with a typical office involving staff reporting 2-3 days per week). Add in the essential workers that have to be on-site to perform their duties....I'd say maybe 75% tops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: