Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2020, 09:17 AM

8,935 posts, read 4,763,660 times

Advertisements

FYI

https://www.amny.com/news/doe-launches-pare/

https://parentu.schools.nyc

The Department of Education launched a new online platform called ‘Parent University’ where public school parents can learn how to help their children better tackle the challenges of remote learning.

Parents can access nearly 100 pre-recorded classes on the portal in multiple languages on topics like remote education and technology, health and wellness, special education, multilingual learners, early childhood education, parent leadership as well as adult and continuing education. Interested parents must create a free account before they can access any lessons, events or workshops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2020, 09:26 AM

19,036 posts, read 13,948,655 times
So now I'm expected to learn - for free - how to do the job the teachers are being paid to barely do? Yeah ok.

Catholic School has been well worth it. My children are going to be ahead of nearly everyone in their respective grades going forward.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 11-27-2020, 01:34 PM

2,314 posts, read 1,149,719 times
Remote learning just isn't working out.

Old 11-27-2020, 09:07 PM

644 posts, read 307,078 times
BWAHAHA. We don't need a "parent university," we need DOE to do its job and open schools for those who need them. Also, if anyone's interested, there's a petition to that effect: https://www.change.org/p/mayor-bill-...c-schools-open These folks got a lot of media attention recently, and I've heard they're planning some kind of action. If anyone's interested, please sign - the info will probably go up on the petition website... Personally I'm out of that hole, but I signed anyway for the sake of my kids' former classmates and my neighbors' kids.

Old 11-28-2020, 11:36 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,836,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
So now I'm expected to learn - for free - how to do the job the teachers are being paid to barely do? Yeah ok.

Catholic School has been well worth it. My children are going to be ahead of nearly everyone in their respective grades going forward.
Response: Opinion

Well Done !

Your children will not just be ahead. They will be miles ahead..................

A public school education can not hold a candle to a Private and in this example
a Catholic School Education.

As a former evening instructor I can easily distinguish the differences between the two.

I will keep those thoughts to myself.

Old 11-29-2020, 10:44 AM

644 posts, read 307,078 times
All right! Announced today - elementary schools and special ed will reopen December 7, with an effort to bring the students back full time (only the ones who opted in for in-person learning). Still lots of limitations on the reopening, probably, and there's no word on any plan for middle or high school, but this is a start.

Old 11-29-2020, 01:00 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,756,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Response: Opinion

Well Done !

Your children will not just be ahead. They will be miles ahead..................

A public school education can not hold a candle to a Private and in this example
a Catholic School Education.

As a former evening instructor I can easily distinguish the differences between the two.

I will keep those thoughts to myself.
LOL. I met a lot of people educated in Catholic schools and nearly universally, their education is laughable and their minds are closed. There is a built in bias that people think if they pay more, they get better. Catholic school graduates (unless it's an elite school) are some of the LEAST educated graduates I ever met.

Old 11-25-2021, 11:43 AM

8,935 posts, read 4,763,660 times
https://www.amny.com/news/new-york-c...in-first-year/

New York City DOE’s ‘Parent University’ class offerings grow six-fold in first year

A year after its launch, the New York City Department of Education’s online platform”Parent University” now offers more than 600 courses on topics like reading strategies for students with disabilities, Google Classroom, and how to navigate the city’s special education process.

Last year, the department created the platform to help families learn how to better handle the world of remote learning after the COVID-19 pandemic forced the city’s over one million public school students to shift to online learning.

Since then the number of courses available on the platform has grown six-fold and has served over 1450,000 users and reached 401,000 page views, according to a DOE spokesperson. When the site first went live on November 25 last year, public school parents and family members only had the option to access 100 pre-recorded classes in multiple languages on technology and early childhood education in the portal and receive DOE updates on changes to school policy.

The platform’s use as a vessel for relaying information on schoolwide news has carried over into this school year as well. This fall, parents and guardians have been able to access information about the COVID-19 vaccine via bi-weekly webinars with local health experts on “Parent University.”

Old 11-25-2021, 01:20 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,258,196 times
Just goes to show how many idiot and lazy parents there are. A child's education has ALWAYS been about how much the parent(s) are involved and COVID just exposed the bad parents.

Old 12-02-2021, 10:55 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,836,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post

The smartest move you ever made concerning the education of your children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: