Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2020, 02:35 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,714,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
It's all true though, that's the best part. In 3 weeks, my pension went up 20%. My plan was to work 8 more years. Instead, I mopped up as much of the overtime as I could then bounced. Life has been grand ever since. I truly owe them a debt of gratitude.
why did you join in the first place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2020, 02:40 PM

The self-described "largest municipal police union in the world" is the Police Benevolent Association of the City of New York that represents 24,000 members of the NYPD. There are five unions serving the NYPD

Old 11-30-2020, 02:57 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
why did you join in the first place?
So I could be retired at 42. Duh.

I never imagined that the people who hate me most would help me so much on my way out though!

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 11-30-2020, 03:01 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I know there are people in this forum that worship the police and think they can do no wrong, but that seems really blind to me.

In 2014, the Daily News looked at the hundred and seventy-nine killings committed by on-duty N.Y.P.D. officers in the previous fifteen years and found that all those deaths had produced only three indictments and one conviction—which brought no jail time.
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...s-fight-reform
Not all fatal Police shootings are criminal, in fact, a tiny percentage is. Most of the time it's a good shoot, and the perp deserves to be dead. Please leave your anti police agenda at the door.

Old 11-30-2020, 03:12 PM

Quote:
So I could be retired at 42. Duh.

I never imagined that the people who hate me most would help me so much on my way out though!
So it was just for the early retirement and paycheck all along from the start,
nothing to do with wanting to serve and protect etc. ?

Old 11-30-2020, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
So it was just for the early retirement and paycheck all along from the start,
nothing to do with wanting to serve and protect etc. ?
Eh, I'm sure back then I cared about those things a little. Once you see the people you're "serving" and "protecting" in action, those immature fantasies go out the window.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 11-30-2020, 04:18 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
Quote:
Once again, I must thank you.

I received my first pension check on Friday. I am making significantly more in retirement than I was working. This windfall is 100% attributable to the cop haters.

My life is blessed because of people like you. My children will prosper even more now due to the extra money I have to spend on their enrichment.

I truly mean it when I say I am indebted to those who hate me the most. People like Hellupinharlem, Henna, you, all those whom I waved and smiled at during the protests over something that happened 1000 miles away, etc.

All I ask is that you keep marching. There are a lot of cops who weren't as fortunate as me in the timing of this thing. They need it to continue so they can join me on the other side!
I'm sorry that you sound so paranoid, and even as if you glory in possible dislike from others.

I said nothing about hate. I know of no one, personally, who hates cops in general. But it would be nice if you'd admit that no business, and no employees, should be exempt from oversight and accountability - whether it's the police, doctors, bus drivers, teachers, restauranteurs, or big box sales clerks.

Old 11-30-2020, 04:52 PM

The NYPD is exempt from oversight? Bwahahaha.

Old 11-30-2020, 06:33 PM

5,102 posts, read 4,959,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Response: Opinion

I got my head smacked with a club for rolling dice as a kid. I did not care for that beat cop but
that's how discipline without arrest were handed out years ago affording me a chance to walk the
straight and narrow in exchange for a few lumps and for that my hat goes off to that Tough Irish Cop ( RIP ).

I grew up in a neighborhood in which residents respected police and in turn police respected the residents.
Heck.... beats would sit down with us on a stoop on a hot summer day and share a glass of home made wine
some pepperoni, cheese and a slice of home made Italian bread.

If one police officer consistently gave me a hard time I would question that police officer.
If an entire police department consistently gave me trouble I would question myself.

If one officer consistently gives a community a hard time I would question that police officer.
If an entire police department consistently gave a neighborhood trouble I would question the neighborhood.

Projecting police officers in an apparent negative light suggests a personal negative
experience or that of the neighborhood in which one resides ?

Hope those who think negatively of police can one day find true happiness.
Best Wishes.......

well said......but in the tangled and twisted world of cida, this makes negative sense only...that is how divided the US has become among the average Joe/Jane......

Old 11-30-2020, 06:38 PM

3,730 posts, read 3,461,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I'm sorry that you sound so paranoid, and even as if you glory in possible dislike from others.

I said nothing about hate. I know of no one, personally, who hates cops in general. But it would be nice if you'd admit that no business, and no employees, should be exempt from oversight and accountability - whether it's the police, doctors, bus drivers, teachers, restauranteurs, or big box sales clerks.
NYPD Probably has the most oversight of any agency in the US.

Do you know Doctors kill the most people due to malpractice in this country? Including Black and brown. They win. Where are the riots?

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/22/medi...n-america.html

A recent Johns Hopkins study claims more than 250,000 people in the U.S. die every year from medical errors. Other reports claim the numbers to be as high as 440,000.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: