Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2020, 12:27 PM

34,011 posts, read 47,240,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Shouldn't you find a boomer who says that and take it up with him?
What you have done is create a straw boomer and skewer him with your razor sharp response to something he never said.
I take it something I said struck a cord with you?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2020, 12:31 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,755,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i can only speak for my industry ....but it is open to anyone beginner or not . this has nothing to do with being an electrician . being an electrician is tightly controlled . no such limitations in the supply chain .

but is still boils down to those who want to succeed will find a way , the rest will find an excuse .

doing nothing is way easier then making results happen . many people are inherently lazy
Yes, people among that cohort group ARE lazy so your frame of reference is amongst a certain cohort group with a crappy work ethic. The people I know work their butts off and tread water.

Old 12-03-2020, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
What don't people understand about times changing?

This is why people get called Boomers to be honest. Do you Boomers really think economic conditions in this country stay the same every decade??

My parents bought a house in the early 1980s and proportionately, I make considerably more now than they both did when they bought the house. I could have bought 3 houses at the same price if I was earning the same salary back when they bought. Mind you my parents don't have Bachelors degrees. Tell me what Bachelors are worth in 2020.

It's this linear, close-minded train of thought with, "I'm older so I know better" that shows how truly dense you Boomers are. Like go to the Villages already and ride around on your golf carts and enjoy the rest of your lives. Don't even bother to understand what it's like to be part of the workforce in 2020.

Then you have the municipal Boomers who work for the city and live outside of the city, and give their suburb all that tax money, then they have the nerve to say NYC sucks. Sucks enough not to live there, but not sucky enough to take the money and give it to their town/village/hamlet. Then complain their taxes are too high so they go to FL. Make it make sense.
Yes, yes, yes, DING DING DING.

Old 12-03-2020, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speediestevie View Post
I disagree with FDNY profession. People need to take a civil service test to join the agency. As I said before, the young people whose relatives are with FDNY are more likely to apply, simply by being in the know, and because it's a family tradition. Sure, you get a point or two if your father works there, but this does not bar others from joining if they scored very well and passed other requirements.
And you're right that a lot of jobs (most) are filled through word of mouth, this is just the way it is.
If it were that simple, then people I personally know would be part of the FDNY. They are not. You still have to know someone.

Old 12-03-2020, 01:59 PM

Quote:
yes , but they choose to both have careers but they can do it on one income . my sons family can live on his income as a law partner . or they can live fully off her income as a cpa .

my daughter inlaw has carried the family on her NBA salary as an executive there while he built his business up from nothing . .today either one incme can support them .

only my daughter needs two incomes .

but both me and my wife had to work so it was no different , millennial or not .
You totally dodged that. People who earn the median income need two salaries. In that past that just wasn't necessary. Now it is.

You're around my dad's age. He could have an apartment in Manhattan on a part time job. That's unheard of now.

Old 12-03-2020, 01:59 PM

106,573 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
If it were that simple, then people I personally know would be part of the FDNY. They are not. You still have to know someone.
not true at all . my son in law got called and knows no one

Old 12-03-2020, 02:00 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times
You don't need to join the FDNY, NYPD or non-public guilds to pursue a skilled trade.

Old 12-03-2020, 02:04 PM

Quote:
not true at all . my son in law got called and knows no one
My ex husband (ex military mind you and high ASVAB) couldn't get in. They told him he had to be a protected class which he was not.

So now my anecdote cancels out your anecdote. Although this entire thread is based on your antecdotes and not the experiences of the MANY.

Old 12-03-2020, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
You don't need to join the FDNY, NYPD or non-public guilds to pursue a skilled trade.
But many of the skilled trades are private clubs with openings reserved by and for nepotism and cronyism.

Last edited by roseba; 12-03-2020 at 03:04 PM..

Old 12-03-2020, 02:07 PM

106,573 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
You totally dodged that. People who earn the median income need two salaries. In that past that just wasn't necessary. Now it is.

You're around my dad's age. He could have an apartment in Manhattan on a part time job. That's unheard of now.
You can’t compare ..today homes are way bigger ..most families have multiple cars , we pay hundreds a month for cell and tv .....we even buy water and play for radio .

There are expenses everywhere that people take on today that didn’t exist in my day or my dads day ....it is a life style that people impose on themselves that never existed previously.

Not an apples to apples comparison of life or lifestyles at all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City