Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2020, 02:09 PM

33,695 posts, read 46,937,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
You can’t compare ..today homes are way bigger ..most families have multiple cars , we pay hundreds a month for cell and tv .....we even buy water and play for radio .

There are expenses everywhere that people take on today that didn’t exist in my day or my dads day ....it is a life style that people impose on themselves that never existed previously.

Not an apples to apples comparison of life or lifestyles at all
The subway fare was 75 cents when my parents bought their house. It's a whole 2 more dollars now. It's not about people taking on additional expenses.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2020, 02:11 PM

106,020 posts, read 107,996,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
The subway fare was 75 cents when my parents bought there house. It's a whole 2 more dollars now. It's not about people taking on additional expenses. Sure you can survive without modern technology, but for all that I'll just go live off the grid.
My pay in the 1970s was 189 a week too , first hvac job I got ....I retired at more than 10x that .....

Again a poor comparison....

Old 12-03-2020, 02:12 PM

Quote:
My pay in the 1970s was 189 a week too ....I retired at many times that
How is this relevant?

Old 12-03-2020, 02:14 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,821,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
But many of the skilled trades are private clubs with opening reserved by nepotism and cronyism.
Connections help, but it's no different from any employment in the private sector and the trade school you're in can help with entry level referrals.

Old 12-03-2020, 02:15 PM

Quote:
How is this relevant?
Because the train may have gone from .75 cents to 2.75 but pay checks over decades went up too .

Many of us don’t do the same job in the same position for 30 -40 years ...we move up the ranks and our pay checks grow more and more .....

Old 12-03-2020, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Connections help, but it's no different from any employment in the private sector and the trade school you're in can help with entry level referrals.
Your odds of being hired are far greater when someone in the company or known by the company recommends or walks you in .

So connections help every where , but there are very few jobs which are so tightly controlled no one else is hired

Old 12-03-2020, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Because the train may have gone from .75 cents to 2.75 but pay checks over decades went up too .

Many of us don’t do the same job in the same position for 30 -40 years ...we move up the ranks and our pay checks grow more and more .....
So you believe the spending scale in the 1980s is equivalent to today? I beg to differ.

How many millenial couples do you know that are living off of one income today by choice? When you were growing up, single family incomes were way more prevalent. That's a clear indicator. Both parents need to work now because things cost more.

Old 12-03-2020, 02:24 PM

Quote:
So you believe the spending scale in the 1980s is equivalent to today? I beg to differ.

How many millenial couples do you know that are living off of one income today by choice?
Cant say because the comparisons are not the same ....we by choice pay for a whole lot more of everything today including bigger homes.

I can tell you our kids are in far better financial shape then we were at their age

It really is not something that is comparable because way to much is different as far as bills and what we want and expect today.

We struggled on one income when I was a kid and we lived in a city housing project ....it was crazy living on one income. My dad worked for the post office and he did gigs as a drummer all weekend and it still left us living in the projects

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-03-2020 at 02:35 PM..

Old 12-03-2020, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Cant say because the comparisons are not the same ....we by choice by for a whole lot more of everything today including bigger homes.

I can tell you our kids are in far better financial shape then we were at their age

It really is not something that is comparable because way to much is different as far as bills and what we want and expect today.

We struggled on one income when I was a kid and we lived in a city housing project ....it was crazy living on one income. My dad worked for the post office and he did gigs as a drummer all weekend and it still left us living in the projects
I hear you, but look at the housing costs. my parents paid 50K for their house in 1982. Using calculator.net, the dollar value is worth 140K today. 2 houses on my parents block sold in the 400s last year. All the houses are similar so its fair comps. Why are the houses going for 400 and not 140? Telling you, times are different.

Look at how much houses are in the neighborhood you grew up in. Probably close to 7 figures (and need work), which means you need to bring home 6 figures to carry your costs. Two people have to work unless one partner is doing very well. Were they of equal value back then? Two people did not have to work to be able to afford a house back then.

Old 12-03-2020, 02:41 PM

Quote:
I hear you, but look at the housing costs. my parents paid 50K for their house in 1982. Using calculator.net, the dollar value is worth 140K today. 2 houses on my parents block sold in the 400s last year. All the houses are similar so its fair comps. Why are the houses going for 400 and not 140? Telling you, times are different.

Look at how much houses are in the neighborhood you grew up in. Probably close to 7 figures (and need work), which means you need to bring home 6 figures to carry your costs. Two people have to work unless one partner is doing very well. Were they of equal value back then? Two people did not have to work to be able to afford a house back then.
Housing is an issue because it is effected by supply and demand ....depending where you are like where we were in the poconos which was hot for a long time , homes are just getting back to where they were in 2012 .

Housing is different all over the country ....plus many don’t want small homes like they had in my dads day .homes have grown over the decades.

But then I again I look at our kids earning more almost right out of school then I retired at 40 years later
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City