Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2020, 06:57 PM

273 posts, read 103,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Response: Opinion

8.399 million population

2.06 million Black Population
25% of Black unemployed.

515,000 Black people unemployed

515,000 is 6.13% of 8,399,000

6.13% N.Y.C. 's Black population is unemployed.

New York City as a whole ( total population )
unemployment rate as of October 2020
is 13.2%

The unemployment rate for every other New Yorker
13.2%- 6.13 % = 7.07 %

Unemployment knows no colors.....

United States 1948-2020 average unemployment rate 5.76%
1953 unemployment rate 2.5%
1982 unemployment rate 10.8% November
2020 unemployment rate 14.7% April
The Great Depression unemployment rate was 25%

Unemployment leads to exploitation,disputes,instability,social problems,poverty and loss of human resources.

New York City is in trouble...........
Your math is wrong.

You applied the 25% unemployment to the ENTIRE Black population. But the "1 out of 4" applies to Blacks who had jobs, which is a subset of the entire Black population.

You also divided your number of Black unemployed (which you miscalculated) by the ENTIRE NYC population of 8,399,000 to get a BLACK unemployment of 6.13%. You should have divided by the Black population - not the entire population.

Previous posters have already pointed out other mistakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2020, 04:49 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,853,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
I don't think your calculations correspond. The unemployment rate has been varying greatly from moth to month. The above report covered July 2019-June 2020.

you are comparing just one month, October 2020 and that is also outside of that date range

https://www.labor.ny.gov/stats/laus.asp

Stringer’s “Popular Annual Financial Report”

https://comptroller.nyc.gov/wp-conte...eport_2020.pdf

Agree: the date ranges will always conflict in part....

Although month to month reporting is viable in study its' underlying weakness allows for cherry picking leading to many
distortions of truth. I prefer to see the numbers and work the averages on my own time to the best of my abilities and
then produce my findings to the forum for what I interpret as a truer picture...

but thank you for pointing out.....means that you are just as concerned....

Old 12-03-2020, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarerz View Post
Your math is wrong.

You applied the 25% unemployment to the ENTIRE Black population. But the "1 out of 4" applies to Blacks who had jobs, which is a subset of the entire Black population.

You also divided your number of Black unemployed (which you miscalculated) by the ENTIRE NYC population of 8,399,000 to get a BLACK unemployment of 6.13%. You should have divided by the Black population - not the entire population.

Previous posters have already pointed out other mistakes.

Do you feel New York City is in trouble?

As far as my errors..
Thank you for bringing your post to my attention which leads
to a far more important question which you or any one can help answer.....

How many Blacks ( Families / on their own ) are not receiving a form of income?

One can not only take into account able bodied men and able bodied women of
employable age who once worked and no longer working....It should not have to stop there.

There is government supplied and undocumented income to take into consideration?

Where.... do you find that one omnipotent value to apply among an array of floating variables?

My numbers may not jive with the books but then books don't always jive in the real world.

I'm not worried about the people with full bellies............

Like the Bible says....and where my concern lies
We need to find out who is hungry and feed them....

Last edited by Mr.Retired; 12-03-2020 at 05:36 AM..

Old 12-03-2020, 06:29 PM

273 posts, read 103,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post

How many Blacks ( Families / on their own ) are not receiving a form of income?

One can not only take into account able bodied men and able bodied women of
employable age who once worked and no longer working....It should not have to stop there.

There is government supplied and undocumented income to take into consideration?
I think the answer to your question that I made red is "very few". Just about everyone has income from SOMEWHERE. And I think you've correctly identified the 3 possibilities:

- Good old fashioned W-2 income
- "Government supplied" income
- "undocumented" income

I think you'll have a tough time quantifying how Black income breaks down because the media like to suppress that kind of information - it might undermine their diversity fantasy. Good luck.

Old 12-03-2020, 06:48 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
I think the answer to your question that I made red is "very few". Just about everyone has income from SOMEWHERE. And I think you've correctly identified the 3 possibilities:

- "undocumented" income

I think you'll have a tough time quantifying how Black income breaks down because the media like to suppress that kind of information - it might undermine their diversity fantasy. Good luck.
Going home on the "Q" train few weeks ago when a "brother" gets on at Union Square. He promptly sits down pulls out a huge fist sized wad of bills and starts counting. Bills are all ones, fives and some tens....

I don't know anyone who gets paid, cashes their check or whatever in such small bills.

These people have same issues as illegals; they live well to rather large but technically far as official sources go they have no visible means of support. That comes in rather handy when you've got your hand stuck out looking for various welfare or whatever benefits.

It is a well known fact many NYCHA households have far more income than what is officially reported when certification comes around. But if they put down their true income their rent would go up, so that's not going to happen.

OTOH when these people try to get low income/affordable housing they get busted because numbers don't add up. You look at what they put down as official income, versus how they live and things just don't add up.

Old 12-03-2020, 07:07 PM

6,689 posts, read 6,035,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Latinos are hurt most by it due to having more undocumented, therefore being unable to claim unemployment.

The Hispanic unemployment numbers are underreported and don't include off the books labor.
Hispanics aren’t the only demographics who may be undocumented. I know of many Europeans who are here illegally. Also, undocumented Hispanics are usually not of the types who would take a census. I think that the Hispanics that the study refers to may very well be second, third and maybe even fourth generation Americans. The report just underscores how covid- related policies in themselves are racist. Sorry but it’s true. People may actually be able to sue these politicians or the state and city!

Old 12-03-2020, 08:23 PM

Quote:

- "undocumented" income

Excerpt: I think you've correctly identified the 3 possibilities:

Well Done
Just trying to make the point that I firmly believe there exists no massive inequality as news reports.
Money comes in many forms and many people of all ethnicity have access to it....

The only thing out of balance is the job availability and the talent pool to fill them.

I'll try to be more clearer with the reasons for my calculations next time.

Last edited by Mr.Retired; 12-03-2020 at 08:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City