Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2020, 06:04 AM

6,356 posts, read 4,173,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I was reading an obit for mayor David Dinkins, and there is mention of his modesty, of the diversity in his hirings, of his low-key manner, of his efforts to promote harmony ... and I'm thinking, were we so hardened that we preferred noisy aggressive people like Giuliani and Koch?
Perhaps we prefer those who get things done to support the people he was elected to serve rather than if he has a great demeanor or speaks eloquently like Obama but has his own agenda which never benefits those who elected him
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2020, 06:09 AM

6,356 posts, read 4,173,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Response: Opinion

You get what you vote for....

Look around you.....Scenes from O.K. Corral unfolding in front of our
very own eyes because of soft on crime Mayors like Bill DeBlasio.............
Soft on crime, that’s only one of his long list of major issues, the guy is Totally Incompetent and yet he gets re-elected? That speaks in volumes ❗️

Old 12-01-2020, 06:54 AM

3,743 posts, read 1,440,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
1) I believe most people consider Lindsay to be the worst post WWII mayor, and I believe DeBlasio will claim spot #2 when all is set and done.

2) Dinkins, IMHO, was a kind, educated, thoughtful gentleman trying to run a violent, poor, gritty city that was coming apart at the seams. It wasn't that his leadership or even his policies were bad, it's that early 1990s NYC simply wasn't the place to not be "strong". I think Brian Watkins, 1991 Crown Heights, 1992 Washington Heights all combined to make people think he wasn't going to be able to keep the wheels on the bus.

3) Let's be frank about the race factor: A lot of liberals only like him because he's Black. If he ran today he'd have no shot in the NYC democratic party. He massively expanded the NYPD to the tune of +5000 officers and Rikers population was peaking under him. He believed very deeply in economic development and came out in support of Amazon when that whole mess was going on. He also was a pragmatist fiscally and made cuts when they had to be made unlike now when the city is waiting for Uncle Joe to bail them out.

In short, he was the right man at the wrong time. 1990 NYC was sinking under a tidal wave of crime, drug and welfare addiction. Had someone like him existed in 2001 perhaps it'd be a different story. But I can't say I'm upset at how things have turned out up until now.
De blasio will be the worst post cold War mayor that we ever had.

Old 12-01-2020, 08:14 AM

9,110 posts, read 6,155,520 times
I guess everyone is forgetting about the Tammany machine, Tweed, and Beau James.

Old 12-01-2020, 09:27 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Let’s be honest: A lot of the hate thrown Dinkins’s was and is because of his color, not his policies or governance. You see far less shade thrown at the worst mayor in my memory. Remember Abe Beame? He was elected because he “knew the buck” as city comptroller. Ha! Some mayor he was. The city went bankrupt under Beame. That alone makes him the worst mayor IMO. The service cuts that had to be made contributed as much or more to the city’s subsequent decline than anything Dinkins did.

Some posters here must be very young. Or they have a very selective memory. I suspect it’s a little bit of both.
Nonsense.

Abe Beame inherited a horrific situation from the policies of John Lindsay.

No excuses. That is often what leadership requires- playing the cards you are dealt. So Beame made the hard decisions that ultimately would save New York. And he paid for it by not getting a 2nd term. So it goes.

As for Dinkins, yes race was a factor, but not in the way you present it. With incidents like Crown Heights and the Korean deli boycott, Dinkins simply refused to take proper action. He refuse to enforce the law and thus was perceived as either lacking crisis management skills or worse, "taking sides".

Ironically, both Lindsay and Dinkins would probably flourish today. But back then people still had common sense.

Old 12-01-2020, 09:34 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,035,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Let’s be honest: A lot of the hate thrown Dinkins’s was and is because of his color, not his policies or governance. You see far less shade thrown at the worst mayor in my memory. Remember Abe Beame? He was elected because he “knew the buck” as city comptroller. Ha! Some mayor he was. The city went bankrupt under Beame. That alone makes him the worst mayor IMO. The service cuts that had to be made contributed as much or more to the city’s subsequent decline than anything Dinkins did.

Some posters here must be very young. Or they have a very selective memory. I suspect it’s a little bit of both.
????

Old 12-01-2020, 11:07 AM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
John Lindsay and Fun City.

Old 12-01-2020, 11:52 AM

5,450 posts, read 2,714,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Nonsense.

Abe Beame inherited a horrific situation from the policies of John Lindsay.

No excuses. That is often what leadership requires- playing the cards you are dealt. So Beame made the hard decisions that ultimately would save New York. And he paid for it by not getting a 2nd term. So it goes.

As for Dinkins, yes race was a factor, but not in the way you present it. With incidents like Crown Heights and the Korean deli boycott, Dinkins simply refused to take proper action. He refuse to enforce the law and thus was perceived as either lacking crisis management skills or worse, "taking sides".

Ironically, both Lindsay and Dinkins would probably flourish today. But back then people still had common sense.
Excluding this bizarre virus crisis period we are in we are in how does the mayoralty of De Blassio 2014-2018 compare to John Lindsay?

Old 12-01-2020, 02:23 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
Excluding this bizarre virus crisis period we are in we are in how does the mayoralty of De Blassio 2014-2018 compare to John Lindsay?
That is a very good question and I am not sure I can answer it. Lindsay was before my time and I have never lived in De Blassio's New York.

However, I read a biography of Lindsay and came away critical of the man. Honestly, i think he and Barack Obama have a great deal in common. Both were/are highly intelligent and eloquent men who pursued counter productive policies. Lots of style, little substance.

De Blassio, from everything I see, is a Marxist clown. I would take Dinkins over him in a heartbeat.

Old 12-01-2020, 02:32 PM

34,006 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I was reading an obit for mayor David Dinkins, and there is mention of his modesty, of the diversity in his hirings, of his low-key manner, of his efforts to promote harmony ... and I'm thinking, were we so hardened that we preferred noisy aggressive people like Giuliani and Koch?
It doesn't matter who we like, real estate runs NYC and whoever is in control of the land has the power

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City