Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2020, 03:55 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,848,003 times

Advertisements

I am constantly on the road and make use of the city's many highways.
I can not tell you the new found freedom and enjoyment that the loss in
population brings to our roads. Too many people in the city anyway.
300, 000 people have left New York City in addition to thousands upon
thousands working from home in return for a breath of fresh air on our
city's highways.

That once feared highway car accident that could set you back half hour to an hour
is now just a mere 5 to 10 minute slowdown . That's right. I have not had to come to
a complete stop on any highway since back in March of 2020.

I fell like I'm on the interstate.................Enjoyable to say the least.

What's your opinion?

Curious minds would like to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2020, 03:58 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
not sure where you drive but i have found the roads suck .. it is worse than prior in my opinion as more people are driving and not taking public transportation .

try the cross bronx or belt out for size .

a 40 minute trip to jersey takes 1 hour and 15 minutes when we see the kids if we are lucky and a trip mid week is worse .

j

Old 12-03-2020, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
not sure where you drive but i have found the roads suck .. it is worse than prior in my opinion as more people are driving and not taking public transportation .

try the cross bronx or belt out for size .

Response: Opinion

If you are eluding to " rush hour" peak time of working commuters I agree..

The Cross Bronx and other notoriously avoided roads........
are non issues in between rush hours..............

I was on the Belt yesterday and a crash in rush hour
only slowed traffic... not bring it to a dead halt as it did int the past.... Incredible..

I've been keeping it consistent. Poconos and Allentown in in 2hrs.
and all kept at the Speed limit.........unbelievable...

There has been a remarkable change.....

Old 12-03-2020, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post

If you are eluding to " rush hour" peak time of working commuters I agree..

The Cross Bronx and other notoriously avoided roads........
are non issues in between rush hours..............

There has been a remarkable change.....
i would disagree on the cross bronx ... anyone who says it is not jammed non rush hours just isn't on it much .

the main reason we are interested in relocating to westchester is that damn trip on the cross bronx and gw to see the kids is becoming really hateful.

weekends and non rush hour don't matter .. that road sucks and it went from bad to worse.

i think there are more family and friends driving now to visit family and friends who left the city . even the hutch has been getting worse and worse traffic wise so i think not only do we have more people driving avoiding public transportation but you have more people driving visiting those left the city or those who left the city visiting here .

but any roads that lead to other areas i have not found empty at all . the only roads less used it seems are the long island roads like the northern state during non rush hour .

Old 12-03-2020, 04:24 AM

Quote:
i would disagree on the cross bronx ... anyone who says it is not jammed non rush hours just isn't on it much .

the main reason we are interested in relocating to westchester is that damn trip on the cross bronx and gw to see the kids is becoming really hateful.

weekends and non rush hour don't matter .. that road sucks and it went from bad to worse.

i think there are more family and friends driving now to visit family and friends who left the city . even the hutch has been getting worse and worse traffic wise so i think not only do we have more people driving avoiding public transportation but you have more people driving visiting those left the city or those who left the city visiting here .

but any roads that lead to other areas i have not found empty at all . the only roads less used it seems are the long island roads like the northern state during non rush hour .

I have gone through many cars and many miles over the years.
Worn out and replaced many a brake pedal.......

Sorry to hear that your road trips
to Westchester are hateful.

The only thing left is the timing...

I can only suggest an early morning Sunday visit to
visit the kids as the best of best times for the
best possible road experience....

Best Wishes...

Old 12-03-2020, 04:29 AM

Quote:

I have gone through many cars and many miles over the years.
Worn out and replaced many a brake pedal.......

Sorry to hear that your road trips
to Westchester are hateful.

The only thing left is the timing...

I can only suggest an early morning Sunday visit to
visit the kids as the best of best times for the
best possible road experience....

Best Wishes...
the hutch i can deal with goping to westchester to see the kids there , there are just some slow down spots

but that trip to jersey is just awful .... sunday afternoon in to sunday nights are the worst coming home . saturday afternoon too into sat night .

usuially going we will try to find something to photograph on the way and leave before 11:00am and while crowded already it is not as bad . but by mid day it sucks going .

we went on a tuesday afternnon when they needed us to baby sit unexpectedly and that 15 minute drive from us to the bridge was 70 minutes

Old 12-03-2020, 04:41 AM

Quote:
the hutch i can deal with goping to westchester to see the kids there , there are just some slow down spots

but that trip to jersey is just awful .... sunday afternoon in to sunday nights are the worst coming home . saturday afternoon too into sat night .

usuially going we will try to find something to photograph on the way and leave before 11:00am and while crowded already it is not as bad . but by mid day it sucks going .

we went on a tuesday afternnon when they needed us to baby sit unexpectedly and that 15 minute drive from us to the bridge was 70 minutes

Response: Opininon

Agree: visiting mid morning ( 11 )

Leaving. Have you considered
How about sleeping over Sunday night and leaving the following Monday mid morning?
as long as it fits into everybody's schedule of course..

.......might make ride more enjoyable...

Old 12-03-2020, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Response: Opininon

Agree: visiting mid morning ( 11 )

Leaving. Have you considered
How about sleeping over Sunday night and leaving the following Monday mid morning?
as long as it fits into everybody's schedule of course..

.......might make ride more enjoyable...
we do that sometimes when baby sitting but to tell you the truth the grand kids go to bed way later then i do and the guest bedroom is downstairs where you hear every sound .

there is no sleeping until those kids go to sleep which can be 10:00pm or later ... heck if we are home i am out by 8pm .

plus i am up by 4:00am and it is hard to not make a sound even if it is making coffee .

when we had the house in the poconos i used to drive in monday morning at 4:00am go home , shower , and be at work at 7am

Old 12-03-2020, 05:33 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,758,430 times
While we know many people went to live in their second homes at the beach in the woods, and some people have moved, we ALSO know that many people stay at home.

By your supposition, since I'm not taking the subway 5 days a week or move, I must have left New York. I haven't. I am just working from home. Hence, the highways are less crowded for SEVERAL reasons. Not all of them are due to people leaving town permanently.

Old 12-03-2020, 05:36 AM

1,034 posts, read 673,505 times
I find many drivers do weird things on streets and aves, like slow down for no reason, don’t signal when they turn, make U-turns on extremely busy two-way streets.
As far as traffic I can’t say because I didn’t drive pre-pandemic much but now I drive a lot on van wyck, GCP, Nassau expressway leading to far rockaway, and there’s a lot of slowdowns but nothing earth shattering.
That 300k number of people left needs a source.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City