Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2020, 08:52 AM

8,936 posts, read 4,769,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
I would wonder if they even looked at the trains. It's beautiful!
Yeah. My first reaction was they should just leave it alone rather than spend $$$ erasing it just for it to pop up again. But...! They're doing it on private property. I wouldn't want that on my house no matter how artistic it is. They should hire these artists and channel their talent & time in a more "society approved" way unless part of the allure is to go undercover and tag property that's not theirs. That's not right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2020, 09:25 AM

5,133 posts, read 4,486,386 times
It’s vandalism.

Old 12-06-2020, 09:54 AM

8,378 posts, read 4,395,120 times
This is a hard call. It looks more like murals than graffiti, and it is admittedly pretty good visually. I would paint over anything related to gangs/crime/violence, but otherwise I would let it be, I do think it is actually artistic.

Old 12-06-2020, 11:43 AM

5,301 posts, read 6,183,576 times
Where exactly did this vandalism take place? Ever square inch of NYC needs to be under surveillance. That's the only way to put an end to this lawlessness.

Old 12-06-2020, 11:54 AM

8,936 posts, read 4,769,868 times
I'd rather take graffiti than that weirdo who was going around smashing the windows on the 7 line or shoving people onto the tracks for jollies. I'm starting to take the subway on a regular basis and I'm more apprehensive over that than getting Covid.

Old 12-06-2020, 01:03 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,367,724 times
@Aeran: You just stared?! You missed it! It was empty for so long. Now it gets "packed." At its best, I was able to social distance with the few people who were riding it at the time.

Old 12-06-2020, 01:15 PM

9,137 posts, read 6,191,523 times
It's not their fault. These urban youths have no other outlet for their creative talents. Maybe instead of midnight basketball, the city should sponsor art shows so that these talented youths could get the media exposure they so crave and need.

Old 12-06-2020, 01:49 PM

10,072 posts, read 14,449,392 times
Those artists are pretty incredible--wow the talent!

I say leave it. But that would encourage other cars to be painted and vandalized, maybe badly.

Maybe the MTA commissions similar artists like these to paint some selected cars on the trains? I think they are cool and look amazing and creative. Very NYC.

Old 12-06-2020, 02:05 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,853,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
Yes it's wrong to destroy things that aren't yours. But at least these people created art with design instead of just spray painting a bunch of curse words like they do in my neighborhood on buildings.
Graffiti painting is an art form. Any kind of art can be washed away with few chemicals. Take down the Mona Lisa and it can be destroyed with chemicals in a matter of seconds.
Excerpt : Yes it's wrong to destroy things that aren't yours. But

Response: Opinion

Graffiti is not an art form when it is painted on a canvas belonging to someone else.

It is destruction of property. It is a criminal act.

Unless.....

Hypothetical Example:

If they were to Graffiti on my property without my permission I can throw
a drape over it and charge folks to view it. Money in my pocket not theirs...

If they were to Graffiti on my property without my permission
I can sell T Shirts with pictures of my building displaying this work.
Money in my pocket not theirs.

If this artwork was to be recognized ( as a Mona Lisa) they would
have to pay me ( big money ) to have it removed from my building.

Graffiti can become a wonderful profit if played correctly....

In a worse case situation ..........where money is not an issue
nothing can stop me from painting over their work on my house with my paint.

I had a brief history with criminals defacing my property.
I always had a can of paint ready and waiting.
Most work was still wet to the touch by the time I painted over it.
The message was well received and my home remained a blank canvas
for years .........................

Something to think about..................

Last edited by Mr.Retired; 12-06-2020 at 02:18 PM..

Old 12-06-2020, 02:27 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,853,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
This is a hard call. It looks more like murals than graffiti, and it is admittedly pretty good visually. I would paint over anything related to gangs/crime/violence, but otherwise I would let it be, I do think it is actually artistic.
Response: Opinion

I don't think you would welcome some knucklehead painting his rendering of

The Disasters of War by Francisco Goya or Massacre of the innocents by Peter Paul Rubens

on your property unless you have an iron stomach............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: