Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2020, 09:48 AM

15,822 posts, read 14,463,105 times

Advertisements

I've heard that argument before. It list it's relevance when the universities raised tuition into the stratosphere. By doing so, they're saying "if you get a degree from us, you'll make enough that what we're charging will be reasonable ." Only an idiot would pay multiple six figures for an education that doesn't deliver significant earning potential. Then again, there a lot of idiots out there, many highly educated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
No. I prefer that college is not treated as TRADE school. It's as if the people discussing it this way (you) don't understand there is more to a university education than learning how to do a job. You know, learning about the world, expanding your mind, being well rounded in things that gasp, might not make you a buck. EDUCATION HAS INTRINSIC VALUE on its own.

Old 12-08-2020, 09:53 AM

857 posts, read 843,326 times
Ha, kind of reminds me of an, I absolutely must buy this Ferrari, but the price is way too high. Look, Lamborghini lowered their prices, why can't you?

Old 12-08-2020, 10:11 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,234,555 times
Any one that pays that much for a degree... is a fool a bozo a clown.

Old 12-08-2020, 10:23 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,486,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticpearl View Post
Yeah I know a landscaper on the North Shore who clears 500K+ per year operating out of his house with his wife doing the accounting.

3M house, extended vacation going south every winter, kids in private schools, etc.

I'm sure he's jealous of all the social science graduates living in their parent's basement with 200K in debt that roseba knows.
The world needs lawnscapers, and the world needs social science graduates. Each contributes, on different ends, to keeping the world moving. To downplay the social sciences because they don't necessarily rake in 6 or 7 figures is stupid. Do we really think hedge fund managers are such amazing contributors to the world because they clear 8 and 9 figures a year?

Old 12-08-2020, 10:34 AM

1,339 posts, read 1,682,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MedvedActual View Post
Ha, kind of reminds me of an, I absolutely must buy this Ferrari, but the price is way too high. Look, Lamborghini lowered their prices, why can't you?
Nobody needs a Ferrari or a Lamborghini.

Many people--most people, I would say--need a college education. It has become the new high school diploma. Not everyone is made to be an entrepreneur.

Mind you, tuition is spiraling out of control EVERYWHERE. Not just the ivies.

Old 12-08-2020, 10:54 AM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
Sorry you ideate stupidity. People who learn how to think can do anything for a living. People who learn a trade limit their options. A fulfilling life isn't only the green in your pocket. I mean look at all of ya'll. Ya'll are all miserable. Some lives you have.
Lol.

I have three kids who are very well taken care of, to include private school. A college education that barely cost me anything (and most certainly did not put me in debt). I read constantly. I have been heavily involved in a roleplaying game that's more involved than most history degrees (I have one, I know) since I was 8 years old. I've led men and women in combat and for years as a supervisor of police. I am an expert in outdoors skills to include the full process of creating my weapons/bullets, straight through harvesting, processing, and preparing wild game. I've won competitions brewing beer (lost interest, lefties took over that hobby).

I could go on.

You're good at one thing: assumptions.

Anyway. I'm currently updating some game materials and working my job at the same time. These little breaks are hilariously spent updating myself on how miserable my life is.

I may clean guns, work on my fishtank, play outside with the kids (or my dog), or read one of the various novels/manuals/non-fiction books I'm currently jumping through when I wrap up what I'm doing here.

Next mission is to become a notary, because why not?

Oh yeah, and currently reason #1 my life is not miserable is that I am finally on the verge of leaving this city having milked it for all it's worth, to include a very comfortably paid down home I've owned for quiet a long time.

You failed. Lol

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 12-08-2020, 03:12 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,755,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I've heard that argument before. It list it's relevance when the universities raised tuition into the stratosphere. By doing so, they're saying "if you get a degree from us, you'll make enough that what we're charging will be reasonable ." Only an idiot would pay multiple six figures for an education that doesn't deliver significant earning potential. Then again, there a lot of idiots out there, many highly educated.
But don't you agree that the government colluded here? They colluded to lend students the money so they could "afford" to go to these schools. That means they were in bed with credit companies. The buck stops there because if the credit wasn't available, the schools couldn't charge that much.

Old 12-08-2020, 03:17 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,755,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Lol.

I have three kids who are very well taken care of, to include private school. A college education that barely cost me anything (and most certainly did not put me in debt). I read constantly. I have been heavily involved in a roleplaying game that's more involved than most history degrees (I have one, I know) since I was 8 years old. I've led men and women in combat and for years as a supervisor of police. I am an expert in outdoors skills to include the full process of creating my weapons/bullets, straight through harvesting, processing, and preparing wild game. I've won competitions brewing beer (lost interest, lefties took over that hobby).
Your personal circumstances do not make this correct in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
You're good at one thing: assumptions.
No it's pretty clear how much you value education. You've posted abundantly. If you value education, then 1/2 the posts you have here would need to be deleted. That's not assumptions.

Quote:
Anyway. I'm currently updating some game materials and working my job at the same time. These little breaks are hilariously spent updating myself on how miserable my life is.
Miserable people are the ones that have nothing nice to say about anyone outside their bubble and have a negative point of view.....

Quote:
Oh yeah, and currently reason #1 my life is not miserable is that I am finally on the verge of leaving this city having milked it for all it's worth, to include a very comfortably paid down home I've owned for quiet a long time.

You failed. Lol
You milked the city. Wow, what a mensch. Are you proud of your morals and ethics? Happy people aren't exploitive thinking "I gotta get mine."

PS: I'm not saying anything that hasn't been said to me by PM from regular users of this forum. A bunch fearful unhappy people complaining all the time about a city they are exploiting.

Old 12-08-2020, 03:40 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
I don't base my personal achievement, health, security, happiness or any other aspect of my life off of the concerns of people "outside of my bubble." I find it very strange when people use such metrics to define themselves. My only concerns are my children, my wife, family then close friends.

You do you. But don't think you're going to get away with calling me "miserable" based on your lefty-tinged metrics. Your bunk has no place in my world.

The leftist definition of "education" is strict indoctrination into the agenda with no deviation allowed. You can keep that form of "education". We've found a nice way around that system for my family. It's worked out quite well.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 12-08-2020, 03:42 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
But don't you agree that the government colluded here? They colluded to lend students the money so they could "afford" to go to these schools. That means they were in bed with credit companies. The buck stops there because if the credit wasn't available, the schools couldn't charge that much.
While it’s been a problem for a while I think it accelerated under Obama, who early in his first term encouraged everyone to go to college. It was also during the recession, so going to school (and taking out loans) deferred the reality of fewer available jobs while positioning people for a better paying one when they finished.

Instead, while more people got degrees, it just raised the bar so that now everyone needs a degree. Many jobs do not need one.

Also, young people are impressionable and many don’t have enough life experience to do a dispassionate analysis of their college plan with regard to return on investment. I see this first hand for one of my nieces who instead of going to a SUNY school is going to a small private school out of state - her goal is to become a music teacher. Admirable, but I looked up that school’s tuition. Oy. There are better deals elsewhere, but probably not with the same “vibe”. Unfortunately she’s doing most of her freshman year back in NY and learning remotely.

I don’t think the government colluded. Nobody forced a student to sign a piece of paper committing them to tens of thousands of dollars in loans to pay back. What was lacking was some common sense on behalf of the students, and probably their parents as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City