Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2020, 04:59 PM

31,758 posts, read 26,725,962 times

Advertisements

NYC will come back, it always does; however things will surely have changed to some extent.

Know plenty of working or middle class who sat down since March, reevaluated their life and decided changes were in order. People are moving out of city to other places and or making similar changes in their lives.

One common thread is people are just thinking is it all worth it? That is busting your a$$ just to live in city and for what? If there isn't a good enough answer that gives people one good reason to stay here, they're out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2020, 05:13 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,175,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
There will probably be even chain bars.
I don't see how these small businesses can survive what is looking to be a year with little to no revenue.

If Cuomo doesn't let bars open til say, July after full vaccine rollout, most of them will fail. Nobody wants to do outdoor dining/drinking between now and April, and that's not a realistic option for many bars in the first place.
And no independent can afford to open a bar until they know for sure it won’t be locked down again. That means likely until next fall or Spring 2022.

Old 12-09-2020, 06:32 PM

7 posts, read 3,693 times
Maybe I'll move back but the city will need to invest in cleaner waters.

Old 12-09-2020, 06:39 PM

6,083 posts, read 4,449,884 times
They'll also have to figure out how to make up for the lost tourist dollars. Without stores, restaurants, bars, Broadway, hotels, and reliable transportation, tourism will be very different than it has been.

Old 12-09-2020, 11:21 PM

133 posts, read 54,243 times
I wonder if the "chuggers" or "charity muggers" with clipboards will return to places like Union Square, Tribeca, and basically many parts of Manhattan?

Old 12-10-2020, 01:19 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,409,544 times
https://nypost.com/2020/12/09/ny-dem...fiscal-crisis/

The GOOD WEED is everybody's best friend.

Old 12-11-2020, 09:02 AM

506 posts, read 955,987 times
I moved away from the city, but have plans to move back within the next year permanently. I work from home in a IT job and can move anywhere, but prefer the city. I'm one of the few that hope that NY will bounce back, but with a different look.

I'll be happy when most of the transplants who changed the authentic city vibes into what they see on fictitious shows like "Friends" or "Sex and the City" have moved back to where ever they came from.

Now that a lot of those hipster vegan coffee shops, and wannabe Audrey Hepburn fashionista crowd has dissipated, I'm hoping NY will attract true talent, artists, more young people in IT and of course NYC is the finance capitol of the country so people will still move and go to school here for those things.

I didn't move to NY to live in Portland Oregon, lol.

Old 12-11-2020, 10:27 AM

1,399 posts, read 887,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zara Ray View Post
I moved away from the city, but have plans to move back within the next year permanently. I work from home in a IT job and can move anywhere, but prefer the city. I'm one of the few that hope that NY will bounce back, but with a different look.

I'll be happy when most of the transplants who changed the authentic city vibes into what they see on fictitious shows like "Friends" or "Sex and the City" have moved back to where ever they came from.

Now that a lot of those hipster vegan coffee shops, and wannabe Audrey Hepburn fashionista crowd has dissipated, I'm hoping NY will attract true talent, artists, more young people in IT and of course NYC is the finance capitol of the country so people will still move and go to school here for those things.

You sound exactly like a transplant.

Old 12-11-2020, 10:37 AM

506 posts, read 955,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llol45519 View Post
You sound exactly like a transplant.
As I am (was) and within next year going to be again. lol

Old 12-11-2020, 10:44 AM

6,221 posts, read 3,568,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zara Ray View Post

You sound exactly like a transplant
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City