Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2020, 11:30 AM

506 posts, read 958,005 times

Advertisements

I'm interested to see where the tech industry is going to do post pandemic. BK was presumed to be the "tech hub" of NY, but with covid, who knows.

Regardless, I still see tons of IT openings across the city for mostly remote work. I assume once life goes back to normal that they will open up offices to partial compacity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2020, 11:43 AM

158 posts, read 128,652 times
Anyone who lived in NY under Koch in the 70's and 80's knows what's on the horizon...And it's already begun.

Companies fleeing. (scary thing is even then the financial sector wasn't included like it seems to be this round)
Middle class fleeing. (this round includes the upper class as well)
High crime rates.
Lack of services due to budget shortfall.
Higher taxes.
Lack of real estate investment.

Additionally as other pointed out, this time you'll see the final death of small business. Mass evictions, landlords going under, etc.

Plus people aren't simply escaping to the burbs, they see the light. Charlotte, Raleigh, Texas, so on and so forth are the future.

In the past NYC politics usually went. moderate Dem, slightly less moderate dem, left leaning dem, hell hole, republican (or independent) and repeat.

Old 12-11-2020, 12:44 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,362,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
Even though we're not quite there yet, I am looking forward to better times where will be able to go out and do things that we used to do without masks, hand sanitizers. I am curious to get your thoughts regarding what post pandemic NYC will look like? I know we have lost a lot of bars/restaurants, a number of employers may want to keep work from home going and the rental market favors rents. However with each negative story, there are positives that may emerge. I know that NYC has taken a hit but let's talk about what happens next..

Okay so I envision a ton of events not like before immediately but a lot more than this year. I imagine making more friends, dating more perhaps, just better social life overall. I also imagine that it will be easier to network for jobs. More in-person events.

Thank you for doing this post btw.

Old 12-11-2020, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llol45519 View Post
You dissapoint me. You think you're moving but actually aren't. Jersey in many aspects is worse than this city and state. Regardless, good luck.

Jersey!?!? Really?!?! I would have thought somewhere in the South but of course, he wouldn't want to go somewhere that actually reflects his views.

But yeah, still surprised at Jersey. With his strong personality, you'd think a state like Virginia would be the most he'd compromise on but Jersey though?!

Old 12-11-2020, 12:48 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
I was supposed to go to a huge Motley Crue concert at Citifield this past summer. Tickets were like $550. Supposedly it's postponed until next summer but the way our overlords are reveling in their newfound powers, I don't see that happening either. I'll probably be getting a refund instead.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 12-11-2020, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
Sounds like NYC is headed towards more chains, lots of business closures, service industry being decimated for a while (will bounce back, hopefully).

Speaking of real estate, I can see the luxury market taking a huge hit, also wonderig whether commercial/office spaces may be repurposed as residential.

Overall, it sounds like it will get much worse before things start to improve.

So far the employers I haven't gotten the furthest with, one is wanting to go back to in-person and the other is still talking about keeping things remote. I foresee a lot of employers having to be more open to wfh at least half the week. Lots of people are not going to want to go back to work M-F and the employers that force this will have trouble filling vacancies as quickly as they want.

Old 12-11-2020, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
Jersey!?!? Really?!?! I would have thought somewhere in the South but of course, he wouldn't want to go somewhere that actually reflects his views.

But yeah, still surprised at Jersey. With his strong personality, you'd think a state like Virginia would be the most he'd compromise on but Jersey though?!
Some of us aren't children who can flit around the country wherever we want, voting to destroy one area before moving onto the next.

Furthermore, you must not pay attention as much as you think you do if you believe I would aim further south than NJ/parts of PA.

Between the excessive heat, mosquitoes, and pro-Confederacy people, I've never had interest in moving south.

The problem with viewing opposing people as stupid is you end up assuming a lot of incorrect information.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 12-11-2020, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zara Ray View Post
I moved away from the city, but have plans to move back within the next year permanently. I work from home in a IT job and can move anywhere, but prefer the city. I'm one of the few that hope that NY will bounce back, but with a different look.

I'll be happy when most of the transplants who changed the authentic city vibes into what they see on fictitious shows like "Friends" or "Sex and the City" have moved back to where ever they came from.

Now that a lot of those hipster vegan coffee shops, and wannabe Audrey Hepburn fashionista crowd has dissipated, I'm hoping NY will attract true talent, artists, more young people in IT and of course NYC is the finance capitol of the country so people will still move and go to school here for those things.

I didn't move to NY to live in Portland Oregon, lol.

I had to rep because a lot of them can be so pretentious and racist. Yes, let them return.

Old 12-11-2020, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Some of us aren't children who can flit around the country wherever we want, voting to destroy one area before moving onto the next.

Furthermore, you must not pay attention as much as you think you do if you believe I would aim further south than NJ/parts of PA.

Between the excessive heat, mosquitoes, and pro-Confederacy people, I've never had interest in moving south.

The problem with viewing opposing people as stupid is you end up assuming a lot of incorrect information.

Two words: Cognitive dissonance. Whenever I see your posts, this is what I think of.

Old 12-11-2020, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
Two words: Cognitive dissonance. Whenever I see your posts, this is what I think of.
Dancing around personal attacks huh? I'll leave it because I couldn't care less what you think of me, but go ahead and do it again.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City