Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2020, 07:15 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times

Advertisements

The next mayor better have some good ideas.

https://nypost.com/2020/12/13/manhat...in-a-downturn/

Amid intensifying calls to convert some older Manhattan office buildings to residential — including by the influential Real Estate Board of New York — comes even more grim news about the pandemic-battered market.

It’s scary to think about, but Manhattan’s office-leasing picture is worsening by the month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2020, 07:53 PM

8,679 posts, read 11,069,654 times
Democrat only answer is to tax the rich

Old 12-13-2020, 08:24 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Aren't lockdown consequences wonderful? A nice instrument to teach folks to not take the thriving economy we had just ten months ago for granted.

Old 12-14-2020, 05:10 AM

5,803 posts, read 2,930,663 times
If you think COVID was an accident you are a lunatic. It has everything to do with Trumps re election and his policies.
Why do you think the Paris agreement is back on for the first day of Biden. Billions of dollars have to line the pockets all over the world, while people in USA go bankrupt.
Trump was interfering with the cash flow. COVID was a great way to crush spirit, finances of the middle folk.

Old 12-14-2020, 05:22 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Nobody right now wants to commit to a large amount of space at $80+ a square foot.

Old 12-14-2020, 05:35 AM

6,412 posts, read 3,128,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
If you think COVID was an accident you are a lunatic. It has everything to do with Trumps re election and his policies.
Why do you think the Paris agreement is back on for the first day of Biden. Billions of dollars have to line the pockets all over the world, while people in USA go bankrupt.
Trump was interfering with the cash flow. COVID was a great way to crush spirit, finances of the middle folk.
Although I'm not sure that your comments directly relate to the subject of this discussion (Office leasing in Manhattan), I do agree with what you said, and will add that's why there was SO MUCH "manipulation" of the vote count. Trump's policies were crushing various "foreign interests", therefore he had to go. And believe me, I find this MOST frustrating.

Back on topic.....I'm retired, now, and have had Merrill Lynch as my financial partner for many years. Their local office for me, is on the outskirts of Rochester, NY. Since the pandemic struck, their workforce has been working remotely, with most of their staff at their homes, while their office has been virtually vacant, since early March, with no changes in sight...yet the lease payments, on this roughly 10-12,000 sq/ft building are still accruing. And it's not just Merrill Lynch that's in this situation. So yeah, office space is NOT at a premium, at least presently

Old 12-14-2020, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
Although I'm not sure that your comments directly relate to the subject of this discussion (Office leasing in Manhattan), I do agree with what you said, and will add that's why there was SO MUCH "manipulation" of the vote count. Trump's policies were crushing various "foreign interests", therefore he had to go. And believe me, I find this MOST frustrating.

Back on topic.....I'm retired, now, and have had Merrill Lynch as my financial partner for many years. Their local office for me, is on the outskirts of Rochester, NY. Since the pandemic struck, their workforce has been working remotely, with most of their staff at their homes, while their office has been virtually vacant, since early March, with no changes in sight...yet the lease payments, on this roughly 10-12,000 sq/ft building are still accruing. And it's not just Merrill Lynch that's in this situation. So yeah, office space is NOT at a premium, at least presently
Meaning, that companies were paying hand over first before to be in the city. The shift has taken place and that’s no longer the case. I do meetings for many companies virtually. Going forward, everyone agrees that meetings will be a hybrid, virtual and live and almost everyone agrees that there is no need for many to be going to an office 5 days a week.

Lot of companies will need less space if any at all.

Old 12-14-2020, 06:23 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,362,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Meaning, that companies were paying hand over first before to be in the city. The shift has taken place and that’s no longer the case. I do meetings for many companies virtually. Going forward, everyone agrees that meetings will be a hybrid, virtual and live and almost everyone agrees that there is no need for many to be going to an office 5 days a week.

Lot of companies will need less space if any at all.
I am seeing this with some companies. Others are claiming that their workers are not as productive. At first I wanted to work at work but now I am definitely wanting that flexibility and will try my best to incorporate it in my job search. I would hate to work at aplace where i chave to come in 5 days a week and have some a**h*** breathing down my throat. That's what they want to do. They want to be able to see your every little action.

Old 12-14-2020, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
I am seeing this with some companies. Others are claiming that their workers are not as productive. At first I wanted to work at work but now I am definitely wanting that flexibility and will try my best to incorporate it in my job search. I would hate to work at aplace where i chave to come in 5 days a week and have some a**h*** breathing down my throat. That's what they want to do. They want to be able to see your every little action.
For an introvert like me, this is heaven. I work better and actually enjoy my work without other people around me. No more fake smiles, fake conversations, having to listen to anyone . What a relief .
COVID was a relief for many like me. No more soul crushing commute, crowding, filth.
Companies see that they don’t have to drag every person to work .
Wife misses the chit chat and interactions in her office. She’s working a lot more now that she’s working from home.

Old 12-14-2020, 09:33 AM

506 posts, read 958,005 times
I like the work from him aspect. Im sure when things settle and placing go back to normal, most companies will have flexible work from home policies in place so it wont be the traditional Mon-Friday at the office strictly anymore.

I honestly never minded working in person, most of the places I worked at were a fun environment and the IT depts I had the pleasure to work with were always fun and a wealth of knowledge to be around. What I don't miss is the crammed in the trains commute!!! With less people in the city, things will change tho...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City