Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2020, 08:39 AM

19,049 posts, read 13,964,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Your explanations don't make sense though. No one is talking about busing your kids out of your neighborhood. You're getting upset at a made-up scenario. The high school policy is aimed at schools with residential geographic preferences, which as far as has been explained to me, Staten Island doesn't have. It's aimed at selective schools mostly in district 2 Manhattan that have in-borough or in-district preference. Their academic admission criteria is very high.

If elementary and middle schools remain zoned, and high schools in Staten Island don't have geographic preference as it is, then again, I don't understand the opposition.
As originally planned last year when this was first discussed, moving our kids out to achieve The Agenda's "proper diversity" was on the table. Look it up. Whether they backed down for now or not, I don't know. But once the left makes its plans for us clear, we have to react accordingly because absolutely nothing they propose is acceptable for my children or intended to help them.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2020, 08:51 AM

3,748 posts, read 1,443,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Your explanations don't make sense though. No one is talking about busing your kids out of your neighborhood. You're getting upset at a made-up scenario. The high school policy is aimed at schools with residential geographic preferences, which as far as has been explained to me, Staten Island doesn't have. It's aimed at selective schools mostly in district 2 Manhattan that have in-borough or in-district preference. Their academic admission criteria is very high.

If elementary and middle schools remain zoned, and high schools in Staten Island don't have geographic preference as it is, then again, I don't understand the opposition.
He does not want kids from Northshore which is more poor and have more crime into the schools of southern Staten Island. It just takes a couple of bad eggs to ruin an entire classroom. This is the main reason why he dont want kids from one part of town going to school in another part of town. Before you throw out the classic modern trope of the R word if you know what I mean. Airborneguy has a valid point and so do you. Neither of you are wrong in this assessment.

I can say is that in some of these low income black and brown neighborhoods, you do have students who try real hard, and than you have those who are average at best who want to learn but can't due to their environment. I dont think removing residential guidelines won't uplift students out of poverty. It will help them a bit. You will need alot of intervention to get black and brown kids in NYC out of poverty. What is next is that the DOE will change the grading system next.

Funny thing is all of these folks who implement these ideas in public schools don't send their kids to such schools on average. Lol.

Old 12-20-2020, 08:55 AM

No, I said that busing in is fine. It's been going on forever. My kids will know who to stay away from and who to interact with, based on how those individuals conduct themselves, not their race.

It's specifically busing OUT which is my problem. That was on the table last year when this re-envisioning first appeared.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 12-20-2020, 08:55 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,632,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
As originally planned last year when this was first discussed, moving our kids out to achieve The Agenda's "proper diversity" was on the table. Look it up. Whether they backed down for now or not, I don't know. But once the left makes its plans for us clear, we have to react accordingly because absolutely nothing they propose is acceptable for my children or intended to help them.
I didn't see that in a quick search, but who knows, maybe someone said it, but I hadn't heard there was any serious consideration about busing recently. In my opinion, it's about as likely as the US buying Greenland.

Old 12-20-2020, 09:05 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,632,098 times
From what I understand, de Blasio could have made the HS change at the beginning of his 1st term if he wanted to. If he's such a champion of diversity, why did he wait so long?

Old 12-20-2020, 09:26 AM

2,450 posts, read 972,943 times
Quote:
No offense, but I don't care about back in the day or even my time (the early 90's). This is about now and it's a very dangerous policy. If enforced as planned, it will cause white flight far worse than past waves.
As long as I can get a minimum of 700,000 for my house i'll be more than happy to flee.

Old 12-20-2020, 09:37 AM

2,450 posts, read 972,943 times
Quote:
I explained it 2-3 times.

No one cares anymore about bussing kids IN. It's been going on for years. There's tons of kids in Tottenville and New Dorp HS's who come from the North Shore. There's no more race riots. They aren't getting beat up for being black or brown while waiting for the buses on Hylan or taking the train back to the ferry. That's not the opposition we have.

My problem is that the only way to achieve their goals as stated is to bus our kids OUT of our neighborhoods, which as Bugsy said, we worked really hard to afford, to mix them into schools in neighborhoods where the demographics make it impossible to achieve a balance of races.

The crime on the north shore of Staten Island is far, far worse than here. The only reason we've stayed so long is because it's rather bucolic here. Even at the height of the opioid problems, those idiots were mostly inside and rarely committed street crimes. I'm not sending my daughters to a crap hole were robberies, shootings and other crimes are the norm.

In fact, in some ways I hope they do start doing exactly that because it will spur my ex to move. We're moving asap but she isn't, meaning my kids will still be here. So either they stay in Catholic school where they are now or she moves. Carranza is not getting his chance to send my kids to an intermediate school on the north shore.
One saving grace is that Carranza will be gone in a year or so. All of these grand plans have been disrupted by COVID. Plus, he still a to answer for his handling of COVID in February and March when he ordered principals NOT to report any COVID cases and threatened to fire anyone who called out sick in that time. Administrators and teachers, mostly if not all of them were black from districts that are borderline, or already failing. The media swept that under the rug and he and de Blasio are trying to make it go away. The families of those who died haven't forgotten, nor should anyone else.

Old 12-20-2020, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Time View Post
As long as I can get a minimum of 700,000 for my house i'll be more than happy to flee.
Mine is no where near that high but I've been here awhile so I have enough equity built up to put down half of our next house.

Old 12-20-2020, 10:00 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,673,992 times
Some of the comments here, plus in the NY Times, plus my own experiences as both a student, and now as a parent, is proving my late mentor correct, when she pointed out, over 35 years ago, the hypocrisy of liberalism. I'll leave it at that!

Old 12-20-2020, 10:06 AM

1,557 posts, read 3,306,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Let's not be naïve. I know (white) families in the City that have their kids in public school. It's no secret that generally speaking, white families have an advantage when it comes to having the financial resources to either provide their children with private tutoring AND/OR provide resources that a school may need with an active Parent Associations. Money and connections make a hell of a difference, whether you realize it or not.

I have friends that teach, some in poor areas of the City, and others in areas where the families are not wealthy per se, but have the financial means if necessary to assist their children as needed, not to mention in most cases, having a mother and father. That alone makes a difference.
What makes you think all whites are privileged? There are tens of thousands of working class whites that live in the outer boroughs. What connections? Some work for the sanitation department, others work in retail or have partnerships is a small businesses. ATTENTION PEOPLE! white people are not your saviors! Lol! Whites Don't even like other whites for all kinds of reasons. What makes you think they are always thinking of you? Get your household in order. Turn off all the noise. Stop gossiping on the phone and wasting time. Eat healthy and get a good night sleep and then maybe you can be a little closer to that imaginary white fantasia that you think about all the time. But guess what? Once you get near there you will find those people have a whole plethora of new problems! prescription pill abuse, depression, spoiled kids etc.. Another thing; If you have children get them in a program to learn a useful trade. With all these people staying home using the toilet all the time can you imagine all the millionaires this is going to make out of plumbers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City