Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2020, 10:16 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,629,510 times

Advertisements

The city will also eliminate all admissions screens for middle schools for at least one year. These changes are meant to address segregation in NYC public middle and high schools.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/18/n...gtype=Homepage

I don't know what to think about the middle school change, but doing away with priority for certain high school students based on where they live is great imo.

..."New York will also eliminate a policy that allowed some high schools to give students who live nearby first dibs at spots — even though all high school seats are supposed to be available to all students, regardless of where they live. That system of citywide choice was implemented by former mayor Michael R. Bloomberg in 2004 as part of an attempt to democratize high school admissions.

But some schools and even entire districts were exempted from that policy by Mr. Bloomberg, and Mr. de Blasio did not end those carve outs. The most conspicuous example is in Manhattan’s District 2, one of the whitest and wealthiest of the city’s 32 local school districts. Students who live in that district, which includes the Upper East Side and the West Village, get priority for seats in some of the district’s high schools, which are among the highest-performing schools in the city.

No other district in the city has as many high schools set aside for local students as District 2.

Many of those high schools fill nearly all of their seats with students from District 2 before even considering qualified students from elsewhere. That has made some schools, like Eleanor Roosevelt High School on the Upper East Side, some of the whitest high schools in all of New York City."

There's going to be some very unhappy parents who live in Manhattan and District 2, but that's why de Blasio didn't dare do this earlier.

Last edited by yodel; 12-18-2020 at 11:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2020, 10:50 AM

2,314 posts, read 1,148,785 times
Quote:
The city will also eliminate all admissions screens for middle schools for at least one year.

Another victory for the stupid!

Quote:
New York will also eliminate a policy that allowed some high schools to give students who live nearby first dibs at spots

Even on Staten Island, which is as you know, an island?

Old 12-18-2020, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
Another victory for the stupid!

Even on Staten Island, which is as you know, an island?
I think Staten Island is pretty safe lol (it's too far for most kids from other boroughs to want to go there).

I'm not a big fan of the middle school change myself, but we'll see. I love the high school change though.

Old 12-18-2020, 10:57 AM

I bet if I had made the thread title about how de Blasio is trying to reduce segregation, the thread would get a lot more attention.

People are generally incensed in the nytimes comment section. The way I see it, middle schools will be more like a continuation of elementary schools (if the middle school change becomes permanent), but high schools will have real city-wide choice. The problem is that if a kid grows up in a neighborhood with crappy schools, they'll be unlikely to be able to meet selective HS criteria anyway. But getting rid of borough and district priority is a good start.

The NYtimes comments are generally very liberal until someone mentions addressing school segregation, then it's as if the sky is falling...

Last edited by yodel; 12-18-2020 at 11:05 AM..

Old 12-18-2020, 11:10 AM

1,557 posts, read 3,304,277 times
A wealthy white district does not automatically guarantee future success. Teachers are likewise not magicians that can transform a dullard child into a genius. If you observe closely the most successful people had vision and drive since they were young. Many never went to college or even graduated high school. You can look them up. There are too many to name. What they all did have in common were parents that taught them tenaciousness, reading, frugality and personal responsibility. What exactly is the incentive for an underpaid, overworked teacher to instill those traits when the child is not even theirs? Their is no incentive.. Parents need to buck up and set little fires under their lazy Tic-Tocking children's butts! You and you alone are responsible for your future success. Special little latte frappacino cutesy bistro's in high rent distict's and little doggy's that look like manicured rats sitting on lapps of yuppies near the public school does not mean jack.

Old 12-18-2020, 11:10 AM

2,314 posts, read 1,148,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
I bet if I had made the thread title about how de Blasio is trying to reduce segregation, the thread would get a lot more attention.

People are generally incensed in the nytimes comment section. The way I see it, middle schools will be more like a continuation of elementary schools, but high schools will have real city-wide choice. The problem is that if a kid grows up in a neighborhood with crappy schools, they'll be unlikely to be able to meet selective HS criteria anyway. But getting rid of borough and district priority is a good start.

The NYC public school system is only 15.052% white, and 16.270% asian. There aren't enough white or asian kids for the SJWs at the NYCDOE to move around. The terrible cynic in me says that deBlasio and Carranza really want whites and asians to flee the public school system.

https://infohub.nyced.org/reports/sc...p-to-heading-2

Old 12-18-2020, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
The NYC public school system is only 15.052% white, and 16.270% asian. There aren't enough white or asian kids for the SJWs at the NYCDOE to move around. The terrible cynic in me says that deBlasio and Carranza really want whites and asians to flee the public school system.

https://infohub.nyced.org/reports/sc...p-to-heading-2
I don't see why it's a bad thing for students in Bronx, Queens and Brooklyn to get a better chance to go to some of the best selective high schools in the city. That's not dumbing down anything, in fact, it's the opposite.

Old 12-18-2020, 11:22 AM

The Bronx for instance has very few good high schools. Why shouldn't a student from the Bronx have the same chance of getting into ELRO than a student from the Upper East Side?

Old 12-18-2020, 11:28 AM

1,557 posts, read 3,304,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
I don't see why it's a bad thing for students in Bronx, Queens and Brooklyn to get a better chance to go to some of the best selective high schools in the city. That's not dumbing down anything, in fact, it's the opposite.
First you have to define better? Better for who? and why? Because the high school is in a twee, cutesy neighborhood? So what if every kid graduates? What kind a banal, uninspiring yob awaits them in the real world. There are multitudes of major success story's that have come from the outer boroughs. You and you alone are responsible for your children's success. Underpaid, exhausted teachers do not enjoy lazy parents hefting their offspring on them.

Old 12-18-2020, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matzoman View Post
First you have to define better? Better for who? and why? Because the high school is in a twee, cutesy neighborhood? So what if every kid graduates? What kind a banal, uninspiring yob awaits them in the real world. There are multitudes of major success story's that have come from the outer boroughs. You and you alone are responsible for your children's success. Underpaid, exhausted teachers do not enjoy lazy parents hefting their offspring on them.
What are you even talking about? They're not changing selective HS admission criteria, just not giving priority to students who live in a certain area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City