Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 10:26 PM

500 posts, read 2,859,221 times

Advertisements

You know, Jetsjoe, at first I was feeling like you- missing the snow and the real winter. But now I'm just enjoying it! Going out without a coat, not having a runny nose. I love snow, but this warm summery winter is nice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2006, 06:50 AM

1,442 posts, read 6,497,821 times
The mild winter is nice, but if this is genuine climate change (i.e., global warming) then within a few hundred years, and probably sooner) the sea level will rise and New York City is going to be under water!

These posts help me appreciate New York. I've been thinking of moving to Vermont, but I am fearful of feeling dislocated and regretful.

So they help me but at the same time throw in a psychological monkey wrench.

I love New York and I want out, both at the same time.

Old 12-31-2006, 06:59 AM

368 posts, read 830,917 times
My niece lives in Manhattan and she just loves it, myself it's nice to know NYC is there if I feel the need to get some "culture," but my question to you city folk is does it bother you that Bloomberg is taking away trans fat? My goodness is NYC becoming a big nanny city?

Old 12-31-2006, 12:53 PM

500 posts, read 2,859,221 times
Default Trans Fat, the City... and Vermont

Tughill Tina, personally I care not for trans fat and its elimination. It's not that big of an issue. People were apocalyptic about the smoking ban too, and it worked great. I'm all for that "nanny-ism".

Arel, I believe your feelings about New York are a very New Yorker thing to have. Many people here love it and hate it at the same time, can't live without it but want to get out of it. Because this city is sometimes so brutal and schizophrenic, we wish we were in Vermont. But then we're in Vermont and miss so much the schizophrenia of New York!

I don't want to go the country. I would miss the firefighter sirens every night.

Old 12-31-2006, 01:00 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times
Interesting, sound-thinking post from my perspective. Born and raised in NYC; left 3 times for long periods of time; garnered, gathered and absorbed what I might not have gleaned by these sojourns.

However, I knew when I took early retirement I wouldn't be able to afford the luxury of New York and moved to the SW. Not a mistake, but a calculation that in some ways backfired. I really dislike it for all the reasons I thought I might love it. Not, the silence, but the absence of vitality. And although NYC is a cultural rainbow, it is easier to absorb the colours than live in the sterile light. It sounds poetic, but the poetic justice or injustice is that I find myself often saying, """but, but, but" in New York"

Happy New Year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan-ite View Post
Many people here love it and hate it at the same time, can't live without it but want to get out of it. Because this city is sometimes so brutal and schizophrenic, we wish we were in Vermont. But then we're in Vermont and miss so much the schizophrenia of New York!

I don't want to go the country. I would miss the firefighter sirens every night.

Old 12-31-2006, 03:27 PM

1,442 posts, read 6,497,821 times
Here's a memory that just came up.

Once, a long time ago, I took a couple of summer classes at Villanova University in Villanova, PA. One day, while walking on the campus, I suddenly thought I smelled Brooklyn, home and the sea. I looked up and turned around, maybe even longingly.

In front of me was a garbage truck.

Old 01-01-2007, 02:50 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,891,217 times
Y'know, New York seems ok. I live in the south and I hear nothing but bad things about the city. I'm sure you hear the same thing too. But it looks like an interesting place to visit.
Now, like it or not, people will always talk trash about your city, but that's to be expected because it happens to every big city. I would also expect everything to be fast paced because I know a girl from NY (I don't know which part of the city she's from), she said she doesn't really like it here because it's too slow. Well hey, Ft. Worth doesn't have 8,000,000 people.
But anyway, it's good to see New Yorkers have a frendly conversation about something. It helps gets rid of the steirotype that all New Yorkers are rude and anti-social people. Hopefully, I show that all southerners aren't ignorant hicks.

Old 01-01-2007, 04:46 PM

101 posts, read 315,121 times
Hi JJG

As someone who has lived in the south (currently come and go between two residents) and visit NYC around half a dozen times a year for biz, I hear both sides. In the past couple years I have encountered such friendly, happy and just pretty cool New Yorker's. The city is great. There just isn't anywhere else that has more world class entertainment, culinary experiences and just so much to do!!

I am not very farmilar with Ft. Worth but I am Dallas. Definently not ignorant hicks. But the deep rural south is a different story. My time spent in the deep rural Alabama is a different story!

Old 01-01-2007, 05:20 PM

157 posts, read 716,052 times
Hey, I'm a New Yorkaphile from waaaay back. We try to make it there at least once a year to see our biz friends and relatives. Regarding the doc, don't rag on him. Medicine is a hard biz. They put in an enormous amount of their "free" time doing pro-bono work. I've worked with medics for several years and I've seen this first-hand. It ain't no 40 hour 9-to-5 things, unless maybe you're in Civil Service. But they put in pro-bono hrs, too. That goes for MDs and Nurses.

Old 01-02-2007, 10:35 PM

34 posts, read 154,216 times
I was born in NY, and have lived here my entire life, and I LOVE it!!! I almost moved to New Jersey, because my husband and I so very much want to buy a house, but we changed our mind and are staying put. That's the only thing about NY that bothers me--very high prices for homes--especially here in Queens where we reside. We currently own a co-op, but feel it will be almost impossible to ever step up to our own house, as we don't make six figures--(he is a teacher.) Other than that, NY has the best of everything!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: