Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2019, 09:57 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,546,045 times

Advertisements

I know this is corny, but because I "liked" their page on FB, it shows up in my news feed every once in a while.

Those of us who have AC are eternally grateful. Some of us are also getting cabin fever...so here's a small diversion .

https://www.nytransitmuseum.org/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2019, 11:06 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
I know this is corny, but because I "liked" their page on FB, it shows up in my news feed every once in a while.

Those of us who have AC are eternally grateful. Some of us are also getting cabin fever...so here's a small diversion .

https://www.nytransitmuseum.org/
Ha, Hannah, I've gone to the black-tie gala fundraiser for the NY Transit Museum for the past two years ($1200 a ticket, my employer paid, plus I get paid for going. Nice gig.) Of course they show videos of what they've got and what they do. I wouldn't mind going to the actual museum sometime.

The first time, the emcee had just gone to the museum and she came back with a bit of timely trivia.

Back at the end of the 19th century, there was money being spent for transit in NYC. Manhattan got the most money, and so they got elevated trains, but Brooklyn got surface transportation, meaning trolleys. They were pretty dangerous because they ran in the streets, and people got killed regularly.

Brooklyn's baseball team, which had already gone through a couple of name changes, took on the name Trolley Dodgers after this feature of what it was like to live in their borough.

Now they're in LA, but their name still reflects 1890s Brooklyn public transit.

Old 07-21-2019, 12:19 PM

34,090 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Ha, Hannah, I've gone to the black-tie gala fundraiser for the NY Transit Museum for the past two years ($1200 a ticket, my employer paid, plus I get paid for going. Nice gig.) Of course they show videos of what they've got and what they do. I wouldn't mind going to the actual museum sometime.

The first time, the emcee had just gone to the museum and she came back with a bit of timely trivia.

Back at the end of the 19th century, there was money being spent for transit in NYC. Manhattan got the most money, and so they got elevated trains, but Brooklyn got surface transportation, meaning trolleys. They were pretty dangerous because they ran in the streets, and people got killed regularly.

Brooklyn's baseball team, which had already gone through a couple of name changes, took on the name Trolley Dodgers after this feature of what it was like to live in their borough.

Thats pretty interesting. So Brooklyn should have had a lot more els from the beginning.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-21-2019, 01:47 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,394,719 times
The main museum in downtown Brooklyn is interesting with its collection of old traincars and its working connection to the rest of the subway network. I think they could probably do more to make parts of the space more inviting and it's a shame that when the city sold 110 Livingston Street that they didn't do it with arrangements to have a nice lobby and entrance for the museum.

I think it'd be fun to have a tiny annex aside from the GC one. I say build a new JMZ station right above and connecting to the Broadway G train station and then shutdown the much too closely spaced Hewes and Lorimer stations, but convert one into an annex highlighting the history of elevated lines.

Old 07-21-2019, 04:09 PM

11,636 posts, read 12,703,351 times
I remember going to this museum after it first opened. It's been expanded a great deal several times.

It's one of my favorite museums, but it really makes me feel old.

Old 07-22-2019, 04:53 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
I took a visiting Australian friend there a few years ago. As she was educated as an engineer she really enjoyed this museum and I liked it as well.

Old 07-22-2019, 05:03 AM

2,543 posts, read 2,866,901 times
I went with my wife five years ago and I'll probably take my transportation-obsessed toddler son this summer as well.

Old 12-11-2020, 11:06 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,546,045 times
I got an email from these folks today featuring their Brooklyn Menorah Hannukah card. There's some fun stuff in the store.

https://www.nytransitmuseumstore.com/

Enjoy.

Old 12-11-2020, 11:16 AM

30,635 posts, read 18,222,068 times
The NYC Transit Museum is perhaps my favorite museum of all time. It truly is a hidden gem that far too many people have never been to (maybe that's for the best, though ). I really enjoy when they take out the antique holiday train cars around the city, too.

Old 12-11-2020, 11:20 AM

2,081 posts, read 1,126,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Inner resting.

I wonder if the name also included wordplay on the expression "Jolly Roger". Jolly Roger relates to the skulls and bones flags on Pirate Ships. Dodging trolleys is of course pretty self-explanatory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City