Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2021, 11:03 AM

1,059 posts, read 548,436 times

Advertisements

A couple of years ago I went into my local shopped-at-every-week grocery store. It was too crowded so I went around the registers and was headed out when one of the low-level managers spotted the loaf of bread I had purchased in Rite Aid sticking out of the Rite Aid bag. In front of the 20 or so people lined up at the registers he yelled "Is that our bread?" I very calmly said, "It's from Rite Aid." I pulled out the receipt and he looked at it. "OK," he grunted. No apology. I was tempted to say "I should sue you" but I restrained myself. Now, if someone had been filming I could have said he targeted me because he is Middle Eastern and i am a middle-aged white lady. Such an opportunity missed...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2021, 11:03 AM

4,004 posts, read 2,082,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
The NYPD has MULTIPLE videos of the incident and are looking for her, so clearly her behavior was more than just a "human mistake". Let me tell you something... You are likely not black and don't know what it's like to be followed around a store or to walk into a place, and the assumption is that you're a thief just because of the color of your skin.

Earlier this year I was grocery shopping and used self-checkout. The machine was glitching and was stuck on the last screen, but I had paid already, packed my items and received my receipt. I'm already out of the store in the parking lot when I hear a security guard. I turn around to see what's the problem. It was a white gentleman. He apologized profusely and said that the machine didn't go back to the start screen and asked if I could produce my receipt. I smiled and pulled it out of my shirt pocket and he had a look and again apologized. Meanwhile, there was another black security guard by the entrance that was not oh so nice with the black customers in the store. I wondered if I were black if the guard would've treated me so nicely and with such respect. I am not black, but I have shopped in places where I have seen racial profiling, so I can understand why this kid and his father reacted the way they did. I don't have to deal with those issues.
How do you know what the NYPD has?

First you are there at the scene live, so you know who said what when, then you are on the inside track with NYPD and your original TWO videos, are now MULTIPLE videos, lmao.

Second, you relate a story about a black security guard that wasnt nice to black kids (gee, I know plenty of not nice people too) - and you are not black, cause for some reason the color of your anonymous self is serious business on an internet forum...

Okay. And, let's not forget you are in touch with the black experience as stated in your first paragraph (due to your not-blackishness, I guess), and we know you are not latina, latino, so I guess it must suck to hate on yourself, I dont know...

Hate on, but remember karma is a *****. Be sure you can live up to the scrutiny you place on others. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone, and all that.

Old 01-01-2021, 12:57 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
How do you know what the NYPD has?

First you are there at the scene live, so you know who said what when, then you are on the inside track with NYPD and your original TWO videos, are now MULTIPLE videos, lmao.

Second, you relate a story about a black security guard that wasnt nice to black kids (gee, I know plenty of not nice people too) - and you are not black, cause for some reason the color of your anonymous self is serious business on an internet forum...

Okay. And, let's not forget you are in touch with the black experience as stated in your first paragraph (due to your not-blackishness, I guess), and we know you are not latina, latino, so I guess it must suck to hate on yourself, I dont know...

Hate on, but remember karma is a *****. Be sure you can live up to the scrutiny you place on others. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone, and all that.
There is something called the NEWS. You should read up on it and enlighten yourself.

Old 01-01-2021, 01:27 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,785,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dehumidifier View Post
A couple of years ago I went into my local shopped-at-every-week grocery store. It was too crowded so I went around the registers and was headed out when one of the low-level managers spotted the loaf of bread I had purchased in Rite Aid sticking out of the Rite Aid bag. In front of the 20 or so people lined up at the registers he yelled "Is that our bread?" I very calmly said, "It's from Rite Aid." I pulled out the receipt and he looked at it. "OK," he grunted. No apology. I was tempted to say "I should sue you" but I restrained myself. Now, if someone had been filming I could have said he targeted me because he is Middle Eastern and i am a middle-aged white lady. Such an opportunity missed...
So if a 6’2” 220 pound African American teenager walked up to you and said “ I think you stole my iPhone.let me see your phone.” You would just give him your phone as you expect the teenager in this situation to do?
If not explain why

Old 01-01-2021, 01:37 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,085,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
So if a 6’2” 220 pound African American teenager walked up to you and said “ I think you stole my iPhone.let me see your phone.” You would just give him your phone as you expect the teenager in this situation to do?
If not explain why
People are just talking BS. They would be offended and wouldn't do as told.

Old 01-01-2021, 01:56 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,678,256 times
Why did they call the police? Don’t they know that’s a death sentence for black people? That was a very tough father/son combo, running around the lobby screaming, trying to escape a 100 lbs., 22 year-old girl. How embarrassing. Perhaps with enough counseling and a few million dollars they’ll be able to make it through this.

Old 01-01-2021, 02:00 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,085,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
Why did they call the police? Don’t they know that’s a death sentence for black people? That was a very tough father/son combo, running around the lobby screaming, trying to escape a 100 lbs., 22 year-old girl. How embarrassing. Perhaps with enough counseling and a few million dollars they’ll be able to make it through this.
The hotel manager called the police.

Was the dad suppose to knock her out?

Old 01-01-2021, 02:22 PM

1,466 posts, read 759,691 times
Will the nypd extradite for a misdemeanor assault ? Unless they go for the attempted robbery. Fly her all the way to nyc from California to give her a ticket. Interesting new bail laws.

Mail her the ticket. Seal the case after no trouble for 6 months like every other nyc first offender. I disagree but it’s what’s going to happen

Old 01-01-2021, 02:42 PM

813 posts, read 402,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
The hotel manager called the police.

Was the dad suppose to knock her out?
I bet if the Dad had decked her for football tackling his son, these defenders would be up in arms.

Old 01-01-2021, 03:26 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
They've already identified her so let's watch this thing play out. I've rarely seen a white woman this aggressive in public against the opposite sex. She was obviously under the influence or have mental issues to be able to carry this out without even thinking.

She will be extradited, fired from her job if she has one, and keep probably declare herself having a mental disability which made her do it.

Read that on CNN where she was interviewed that she denied anything she did was wrong. Which was stupid, she should've lawyered up before speaking to the media.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City