Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2021, 10:46 AM

15,841 posts, read 14,472,390 times

Advertisements

They get tax breaks to build affordable units. Some condo developers take advantage of them, some don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldJTrump View Post
Do new condos even have affordable units?

I thought that was only for rentals
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2021, 10:51 AM

1,660 posts, read 1,209,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
They get tax breaks to build affordable units. Some condo developers take advantage of them, some don't.
ok. i guess its rare...browsing through the NYC lottery housing subforum, it seems like its all rental lotteries. my guess is even if a condo is made affordable its still a few hundred thousand , plus condo fees can be expensive and hence not a lot of people going for that.

Last edited by DonaldJTrump; 01-05-2021 at 11:02 AM..

Old 01-05-2021, 04:07 PM

31,906 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Quote:
ok. i guess its rare...browsing through the NYC lottery housing subforum, it seems like its all rental lotteries. my guess is even if a condo is made affordable its still a few hundred thousand , plus condo fees can be expensive and hence not a lot of people going for that.
Large number of those seeking "affordable/low income housing" barely can scratch up first months rent and security. Few have kind of money for making a down payment on a condo, and or it would be a stretch for them to do so.

Various projects where city leaned on condo developer to include an "affordable" component it also creates assistance plans to help those chosen to pay down payment and other costs.

https://www.6sqft.com/7-chances-to-b...reet-from-90k/

Problem with condo developments and affordable housing is that the sales per square foot price. Some way or how the money lost by selling whatever number of units at steep discount has to come from some where, and that usually means others are going to pay more to carry those who cannot afford. No, the tax reductions don't always even things out. Then comes fact sooner or later tax abatement end.

Finally comes fact unlike a rental where low income or affordable units can be kept that way permanently (well long as rent stabilization lasts), most of these condos in market rate buildings will sunset sooner or later. In ten, fifteen or whatever years in future owner of "affordable" unit can cash in by selling. He gets a nice fat return on money others invested (the city), and there goes that affordable unit.

Old 01-05-2021, 04:15 PM

15,841 posts, read 14,472,390 times
Rentals are not as profitable as condos, so they tax breaks are more valuable to the developers/landlords.

Quote:

Old 01-05-2021, 04:17 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,750,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llol45519 View Post
That disgusting out of place tower has affordable units? Or are we taking about the projects across the street? Last I read about that building its 80% empty and the developer is pushing a rent to own scam.
I also heard it’s sinking and already partially tilted. Lol

Old 01-05-2021, 04:42 PM

31,906 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Rentals are not as profitable as condos, so they tax breaks are more valuable to the developers/landlords.
For years now developers have wanted nothing to do with building rental units, instead focused on condos or co-op multi-family instead.

First obvious reason is GD rent regulation laws that pretty much turn control of a rental building over to state and city. Second giving high costs of land and building anything in this city numbers just are better to build something, get units sold and get the eff out. It's like building single family homes... you develop the property, sell it, get your money and that's that.

Rental housing is a long term investment, it can take years or ages before new construction pays off associated debt and otherwise starts showing a profit. And again much of that depends upon things not in LL's control but whatever nonsense city or Albany cooks up.

Buying a condo is like owning a private house, to some extent you can choose your neighbors. Don't like who or what's in a building, don't move in.... Rental housing is a mixed bag, especially anything that remotely has state or city involved. You've got formerly homeless, drug addicts, low income, criminals, and other people you normally wouldn't be bothered with next door or otherwise as neighbors, and you can't do anything else but move because they can't be touched.

City and everyone else knows this because for a good number of "affordable" buildings they can't fill market rate units. People who earn and have options just won't go near certain buildings, so they don't bother. This or after moving in they look around, realize a mistake was made, then move right back out.

Old 01-05-2021, 08:04 PM

1,052 posts, read 452,369 times
Quote:
I don't think condos are ever made "affordable" It's ONLY the rentals, BUT some condo buildings get tax breaks for building rental apartments to be affordable

Old 01-05-2021, 08:10 PM

1,052 posts, read 452,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
Why? Fear of cooties?
It's done because, naturally, if I'm paying several million plus thousands in monthly fees for a condo with exclusive amenities, I want those amenities to exist only for those who also paid millions. I.e. those who have "skin in the game" and abide by the building rules, keep things clean, etc.

I Won the Housing Lottery & Got a Poor Door

But then you have people like this who have the audacity to complain about not having access to million dollar amenities on an artist's income. She (and anyone else complaining) should be thankful to have ANY affordable unit, even if it has no views and zero amenities. Many would love to have even that much.

Old 01-06-2021, 07:46 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
In NJ (at Newport, Jersey City,) the affordables were all on the lower 7 floors of 21 and 35 story hi-rises.

Old 01-06-2021, 08:07 AM

2,315 posts, read 1,151,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnomaboidenapolis View Post
Why would they ban it? Maybe for all-rental buildings but I can't imagine who would want to buy a market rate condo in a building that mixes affordable renters with people buying properties worth millions.

Let the buyer beware! Potential purchasers need to investigate everything about any property they are interested in buying or even renting, whether it be a home, condo or co-op. And that definitely includes the surrounding area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: