Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2021, 03:18 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,762,482 times

Advertisements

It ain't cheap yet.

https://www.amny.com/news/new-york-c...in-the-nation/

https://www.zumper.com/blog/rental-price-data/

Even though there were massive drops in rental prices throughout the course of 2020, New York City remained one of the nation’s most expensive markets.

Zumper recently released their monthly rental report for December 2020. According to their findings, throughout the final month of 2020 the national one-bedroom median rent remained flat at $1,224 last month, while the two-bedrooms increased by 0.3% to $1,491.

Like in months past, New York City remained the second most expensive rental market in the country, following San Francisco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2021, 03:32 PM

1,055 posts, read 546,528 times
There's only so low landlords can go. They still have the same expenses they had in 2019. Building abandonment is the next step.

Old 01-05-2021, 04:03 PM

644 posts, read 307,078 times
What can I say... there's a sucker born every minute. I remember how dumb I was as a teenager, and kick myself every day for that. I had several chances to move out of here, and I didn't take them. I'm sure there are thousands more like idiot young me, moving here of their own free will only to regret it later. At least most of them can move out again. Good for them.

Old 01-05-2021, 04:17 PM

1,399 posts, read 891,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dehumidifier View Post
There's only so low landlords can go. They still have the same expenses they had in 2019. Building abandonment is the next step.
Bronx is burning days are watching over us. Expect lots of arson in the near future.

Old 01-05-2021, 05:14 PM

1,055 posts, read 546,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llol45519 View Post
Bronx is burning days are watching over us. Expect lots of arson in the near future.
That's what I'm afraid of. Too bad the "cancel rent" activists don't remember those days.

Old 01-05-2021, 05:16 PM

1,399 posts, read 891,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dehumidifier View Post
That's what I'm afraid of. Too bad the "cancel rent" activists don't remember those days.
The cancel rent folks are mostly leftist transplants

Old 01-05-2021, 07:50 PM

16,028 posts, read 6,834,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG2020 View Post
What can I say... there's a sucker born every minute. I remember how dumb I was as a teenager, and kick myself every day for that. I had several chances to move out of here, and I didn't take them. I'm sure there are thousands more like idiot young me, moving here of their own free will only to regret it later. At least most of them can move out again. Good for them.
Response: Opinion

Never say never.
Some places in the South still offer comfortable 1 bedrooms for $600 to $800 per month..........

Old 01-06-2021, 08:17 AM

644 posts, read 307,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Response: Opinion

Never say never.
Some places in the South still offer comfortable 1 bedrooms for $600 to $800 per month..........
It's not about the money I could leave tomorrow. Probably could keep my job, if I stay on the East Coast - I think my boss would actually be happy if I moved closer to Philly, they're short of people there. Except I can't convince family to leave. I told them that I'm sick of living here and will be gone by 2024 with or without them... but this was before COVID. I guess that changes everything. Wouldn't be nice to leave them here to deal with the crappy schools and higher taxes and more expensive everything while I enjoy life somewhere else.

Old 01-06-2021, 08:49 AM

1,853 posts, read 1,954,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG2020 View Post
It's not about the money I could leave tomorrow. Probably could keep my job, if I stay on the East Coast - I think my boss would actually be happy if I moved closer to Philly, they're short of people there. Except I can't convince family to leave. I told them that I'm sick of living here and will be gone by 2024 with or without them... but this was before COVID. I guess that changes everything. Wouldn't be nice to leave them here to deal with the crappy schools and higher taxes and more expensive everything while I enjoy life somewhere else.
Philly is not too far away. I am not sure about your family situation but if you can rent a place in/near Philly and make the move, I am sure you're family will see the lower cost of living/high Quality of life and might be convinced to move with you? Just a thought..

Don't dispair, you have more options than you think, its all about making that first move.

Returning to the topic at hand -- we'll see how low rents may go and when that starts showing up in the data. If NYC based employers continue with remote work post COVID, it'll be much more difficult to get people to move out to NYC for employment opportunities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: