Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2021, 05:50 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,771,334 times

Advertisements

Aside from my opinion that it’s ridiculous to test 4 and 5 year olds for giftedness, and aside from the fact that there aren’t enough “gifted” program spots now for all the kids who do qualify (97th percentile), and aside from the fact academic and intellectual giftedness can manifest itself in many ways besides the G&T tests (remember, Einstein was considered a dummy as a young kid), and aside from the reality that many parents spend big bucks to prep their pre-schoolers for the G&T test....there really is a throwback idea that will result from this —tracking.

Inevitably, instead of all the “smart” kids going off to a different school, they’ll all go to classes together in the same school with all the other kids. So schools will revert back to the model of tracking that used to predominate. Whether such a model will cause some parents to leave the system or make it easier for kids to find the appropriate level of instruction, or cause all schools to raise their academics are questions we’ll have to wait a few years to answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2021, 05:50 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,960,264 times
I just saw that this gifted test that is being scrapped is for kindergarten kids. Questions include items like how many children are in this picture. Basically any kid tutored in reading, writing and arithmetic at the age of 4 gets to be considered "gifted".

Old 01-13-2021, 06:37 PM

19,046 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
Disagree.

One thing about New York City public schools; the high schools. If you have the grades, you do have choices, as opposed to suburban schools, where, if you are in a certain neighborhood/town, you have to go to that school in that town. And that school might not be all that! You move to Mount Vernon; public school-wise......you're bound to Mount Vernon High!
The simple answer is to move to a town based on the schools. Viola, problem solved.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 01-13-2021, 08:53 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,673,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
The simple answer is to move to a town based on the schools. Viola, problem solved.
As if its real easy to to just "move to a town based on the schools." Tell that to folk who move to the suburbs and the only town they can afford is, say, Spring Valley, in Rockland, with the way the school politics have been going on, there!

Old 01-13-2021, 09:04 PM

19,046 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
As if its real easy to to just "move to a town based on the schools." Tell that to folk who move to the suburbs and the only town they can afford is, say, Spring Valley, in Rockland, with the way the school politics have been going on, there!
Sucks for them. I'm in the process of moving now and schools are our top priority in choosing the location. Our kids come first and always have since they were born.

I have no sympathy for anyone who's every decision doesn't revolve around making life better for their children.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 01-14-2021, 12:50 AM

565 posts, read 361,864 times
Fortunately in real life where you go to high school and/or college doesn't entirely determine your success or failure. I know idiots that went to Harvard but couldn't hold a conversation with corporate clients thus failing at their job while me, the "street" kid from Queens, had a personality and excelled.

The knock on Asian students is that they come into the real world (assuming it's a corporate setting) like robots! Very much a cultural thing. Quiet, shy, super smart with great problem solving skills but not very quick on their feet in pressure situations or overly creative and vocal. Maybe won't fight or stand up hard for their views when pushing against management. This is, of course, somewhat of a stereotype but after 25 years in corporate more common than not. Which is a lot of times why Asians may not break into that C level suite unless it's maybe their own company they started in tech or something.

I've said it before and will say it again, as someone who went to both public and catholic schools on and off throughout the 80s and then into college, your home life will the majority of the time determine how well you do in school (assuming you are of average intelligence which is the vast majority). In both public and catholic I saw hispanic and black kids fall behind white and asian kids. Why? Because they asian kids will definitely catch a beating if they don't perform, they perform. And, back then anyway, you usually had 2 white parents at home that would threaten you hard if you didn't perform either. My biggest fear was getting kicked out of the house by my immigrant dad because I was blowing the opportunity he fought to give me. So I performed, as did most white kids I knew.

This story has been the same since the 1970s in urban areas. It's never changing. Doesn't matter how you try to diversify a program or school or test scores.

This is why I love sports so much. It's one of the few institutions left where you either win or lose based on your ability and IQ. There's no diversity program for white and asian wannabe NFL players or for black and hispanic kids wannabe NHL hockey players. If you're good enough, you make it. Life is like sports. There are winners and losers. And just like sports teams, some schools are good because they have winners in them...not some diversity mandate. And the same applies to the medical field. Only the smartest and best can make it. Just ask yourself if you needed heart surgery or any kind of surgery, would you want a doctor that was pushed thru medical school and into a position in a hospital based on skin color? Oh hellzzz no!!!!

Last edited by QueensGuy72; 01-14-2021 at 12:58 AM..

Old 01-14-2021, 12:55 AM

636 posts, read 328,318 times
Gifted programs are to allow gifted students (usuall 140 and above IQ) to get out of a boring classroom during part of the day to do some more stimulating exercised. It to keep very smart people from getting bored, and tuning out of school. Eliminating gifted programs are a direct attack on the smartest kids, to bring them down. God knows we already have enough stupid people in positions of power. What we need is more very smart people in positions of power, and that can be hard thing to accomplish if they all get bored and drop out of high school. Libs love that sort of thing.

Old 01-14-2021, 07:14 AM

16,072 posts, read 6,848,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
Another victory for the Stupid!

https://nypost.com/2021/01/12/nyc-do...ter-this-year/

Those damn Asian kids! How dare they have caring parents and an interest in learning. This latest 'wokeness' is only more proof that deBlasio & Carranza want all the white middle-class and Asian middle-class kids to leave the public school system and the city itself.

Response: Opinion

Too late.....It's already happening.......................

Stay tuned for the next subject of debate.....It's not about I.Q. it's about You.............

Old 01-14-2021, 07:18 AM

16,072 posts, read 6,848,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Sucks for them. I'm in the process of moving now and schools are our top priority in choosing the location. Our kids come first and always have since they were born.

I have no sympathy for anyone who's every decision doesn't revolve around making life better for their children.
Response: Opinion

When you can't change the hearts of men you change the place where you live.............

Old 01-14-2021, 09:43 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,540,297 times
Don't worry.

We have a D POTUS and D congress now.

Free ish for everyone. Equal outcome for all.

And I will be the sucker paying for all this when I get taxed to oblivion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City